Best running line for stripping flies....

Total spey newb here.

Most of my river fishing involves fish that are, well, aggressive. I wrestle with a lot of Bulls and Coho and this often means stripping flies. I'm not trying to lose any fingers to line cuts and would like some sage advice on this matter.

I'm a big fan of Commando heads, and will be fishing one of them, if that changes anything. I currently fish one on my 5wt with 20lb Lazar Line and it shoots a mile but stripping it in excess is a little painful.

I figured this would warrant a new thread, I did a bit of searching around the site to see if this question had been answered...

I would love some help. Please don't light me on fire....

4sallypat

Good question!
You will get lots of answers / opinions here.
For most, it's personal preference.

For my big sticks (7+wt) for big rivers, salt water, or lakes I use a mono type shooting line (OPST, Amnesia, Rio) for distance. I commonly will tape up my finger with cloth stretch material when using this type line.

For my small sticks (trout spey) I use a coated shooting line (Airflo ridge runner, Rio Grip shooter) for easier handling on smaller waters.

docstash

SA Spey Lite is one answer to the Commando in a fully integrated line and Wulff Ambush Short is another. You will not get the same distance as you do with the mono running line due to friction through the guides with all fly line type running lines whether that are true running lines or fully integrated into WF lines.

Craig
@redsflyshop.com

I stuck with the big game mono but a much heavier one. I think it's like 50# which is pretty fat. It's a bit bigger than my ridgeline but casts better.

They do make little finger condoms out of spandex that helps although I haven't used one yet.

Tom Palmer

+ 1 on the SA Spey Lite series. I have the commando heads and love them, but for trout fishing on small rivers not having to deal with the loop connection is a huge bonus. I was worried the SA running line would be too thick, but it's great. I also really like the textured section that makes an audible noise to let you know you have reached the head.

SA really got it right with these lines. Highly recommended.

TheAngler

I am just going to throw it out there... I have been using Justron for running line. It's imported from (I think) Japan. I have been using it for a few months. It has little memory, almost no tangling, and it's 10+ times cheaper than OPST Lazar line. I would suggest bumping the diameter to 30-40lb and see if it works better for you. At the very least, it's a cheap alternative to try out.

Rob Allen

I much prefer an integrated running line.
If i had a line that was a. 8 wt skagit line 570 ish grains with an integrated sink tip 12 feet long i would consider it perfect for coho spey fishing especially if it had a very long back taper ( smooth transition)

I find that when i strip a loop through my tip top i set the hook about half the time.

I probably should have mentioned that I am using a 9ft 7wt rod, which is why the Commando head was a top option. I'm also going to be fishing for beach salmon and throwing streamers for browns and such with the same rod.

Does a Wulff Ambush Short or SA Speylite line fish well on a rod that short? Or should I stick with a commando head?

Likewise, do these lines overhead cast as well as the commando heads?

Thanks

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
For stripping fly's you want a coated running line, any type of mono is a shooting line. Most brands will have a .020 or a .035, for a 5wt get the smaller. FYI I've been cut and burned by both, for distance mono, for handling ease coated.

docstash

The Ambush Short and SA Spey Lite are the Wulff and SA answer to the Commando in a fully integrated line. They also come in just heads. The Airflo Scout and Rio Skagit Trout Max are Rio are the Airflo and Rio answer to the Commando.

Craig
@redsflyshop.com

cmann886

I probably should have mentioned that I am using a 9ft 7wt rod, which is why the Commando head was a top option. I'm also going to be fishing for beach salmon and throwing streamers for browns and such with the same rod.

Does a Wulff Ambush Short or SA Speylite line fish well on a rod that short? Or should I stick with a commando head?

Thanks
I have a Winston 2BX in a 10' rod. I use a 300 gr. Ambush line when I need to have more distance and am swinging a wide run. I used an 8 wt. ambush line on it (Currently listed in the classifieds) and much prefer the integrated line for stripping streamers on the Yakima and other areas where I was targeting a slot or overhead casting due to the easier gripping of the integrated line. It is also much easier to strip set wth out losing your grip on an integrated line. An integrated line it is much more enjoyable to fish, at least for me. I am getting rid of the ambush because I picked up an Orvis Bank shot 7 wt. which has a little longer head than the Ambush and works better for me. The Orvis bank shot is textured like the SA line.

I've not tried the SA spey lite, but docstash (Craig) has always been spot on with any recommendation he has given me.

The other thing I would consider, but it will cost you come distance is to use 35 or 40 lb lazer lines. I have them in 20 lb for summer use when my finders are much more able to deal with the thin diameter and switch to the larger diameters when it gets cold. Still not as good as an integrated line for handling but much better than a 20 lb Lazar line. I've also heard of folks using a non adhesive rubber tape wrapped around the cork to help with gripping while casting. It won't help with finger burn but might help with some other issues,

Last edited:

Thanks
I have no experience with the SA Speylite, but use the Ambush line on a few of my shorter rods. It should do close to anything the Commando is doing for you now. It also overhead casts really well. The taper handles sinking tips/versileaders with ease. You will lose a little distance with the coated running line, but not much, AND it's very user friendly. Agree with those that said using a integrated line is ideal for stripping flies. No connection to rattle(or get stuck) in and out of your tip top guide.

mbowers

I like Airflo Miracle braid for a separate running line that is more pleasant to strip than mono. Low stretch so good hooksets too. Light mono sucks for hooksets..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts