RIO Scandi 3D for Burkie 7127

the_grube

I picked up one of the Scientific Angler UST's in float/int/s2 for my 7 wt spey rod -- Got it on evil bay for $35.00. Must be an older version or something, the box is grey with a pic of a fish .. Figured it was a no brainer at that price and I"ll see how I like it.

I picked up one of the Scientific Angler UST's in float/int/s2 for my 7 wt spey rod -- Got it on evil bay for $35.00. Must be an older version or something, the box is grey with a pic of a fish .. Figured it was a no brainer at that price and I"ll see how I like it.
How many grains did you go with? I picked up a 460 gr, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll try it on my MKS 7/8 if it's to heavy for my 7127.

the_grube

So I took the 3d UST scandi out yesterday to a spot that I've fished with skagit heads and tips before . Here are my thoughts for those that are interested (hope I'm not hi-jacking the original post here...) I fished this on my SageX 7130 with Airflo extreme ridge running line. I used 5' of extra-fast poly leader with about 3' of 12lb maxima and a decent sized rabbit strip tube fly. The fly was lightly weighted with a chrome cone, on it's own is just slightly negatively bouyant.

Overall: I was really impressed with the way this head cast, and how well the F/I/S2 dug in and slowed down; this is in the middle of the sinking range for this series of heads! Typically I fish this spot with 10' of t-8 or t-11 and a weighted fly (say a barbell intruder) to get equivalent depth and 'slow-down' through these runs.

At just under 34' this line comes in between the RIO scandi and airflo RAGE heads that I've fishede. It also seems to come in between them for presentation and power. But it seems to have it's own 'vibe' beyond that. Digging in with the bottom hand put the UST into an uber tight loop that looked like it was shot out of a cannon. It also cast well with a 'high flick' ( flinging poo off of a stick ). 70' single speys were effortless with this system. In the right hands I'm sure there's more distance to be had with it. The thing I was really surprised with was how easy the lift was. I'm used to throwing a couple switch casts at the hang-down to get a poly/sink-tip out of the water. With this system, a long slow shot-gun lift got the whole head out of the water, and once I got the timing and power application right went into a single spey beautifully. Mending with this line is particularly effective, up stream mends were a pleasure and the sinking portion of the head really digs in when you remove drag. Finally, having most of your shooting head sub-surface can really be advantageous working across multiple seems and differing water speeds.

Overall I'm really impressed with this head. I realize this is a personal preference, but anytime I can get away from skagit technique and throw splash-n-go casts I'm a happier fly fisherman.

My only question now is should I get another UST in a heavier sink rate, or give the new RIO 3d scandi a try...

the_grube

How many grains did you go with? I picked up a 460 gr, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll try it on my MKS 7/8 if it's to heavy for my 7127.
So did you get a chance to fish that 460gr UST yet? What sink rate did you get? Curious to hear how you like it.

I fished the F/I/S2 again today. I found that some of the water was too fast for it, which caused me to put a pretty heavily weighted fly on, which turned the casting into a pretty caddy-wompous affair. So, I just ordered another UST in the heaviest sink rate: S1/S3/S5 -- I think this will get down into those faster runs w/o a weighted fly. Hopefully I'll have everything covered this winter with these 2 heads.

cmann886

So did you get a chance to fish that 460gr UST yet? What sink rate did you get? Curious to hear how you like it.

I fished the F/I/S2 again today. I found that some of the water was too fast for it, which caused me to put a pretty heavily weighted fly on, which turned the casting into a pretty caddy-wompous affair. So, I just ordered another UST in the heaviest sink rate: S1/S3/S5 -- I think this will get down into those faster runs w/o a weighted fly. Hopefully I'll have everything covered this winter with these 2 heads.
Please p[ost an update when you try out the S1/S3/S5.

I would like to know your thoughts after you fish it.

What's this "fishing" you ask about? Unfortunately, I've not had my spey rod out since September. 2017 was a bad year. I'll report when I finally get out.

the_grube

I'm looking at these as well for a trip to the Mo.

I currently use the triple density FIST skagit head with much success but on fast rivers and ocean use but the slower Mo river and wary trout don't take too well to the heavy head crashing....
I'm looking into getting a FIST for my Sage One 8116 swtich. The RIO line chart for my rod shows 550gr for type 'B' casters, and that head feels great on this rod. The research that I've done into the FIST shows that some folks like to downsize 40-60gr over their normal skagit head. Do you think a downsize in grainage is appropriate for the FIST?

the_grube

Please p[ost an update when you try out the S1/S3/S5.

I would like to know your thoughts after you fish it.
Got out and fished the S1/S3/S5 today. I bought the same grainage as the F/I/S2 but it sure seemed to cast differently than it's slower sinking counterpart. I'm thinking I might need the 460 for this sink rate; might even experiment with cutting this head. It was challenging to cast. I didn't get it dialed for a couple hours.

But, this thing fishes GREAT... It swings deep and slow. I had an 8wt switch with 10ft of t-11 and a weighted fly that probably fished as deep, but not as slow. The other nice thing is how straight it swings. When I fished just the head there was 0 mending needed after the first pullback.

Bottom line: this line, more so than the slower sinking version, is a challenge to cast. 60'+ casts are easily achieved, but they aren't smooth and fast with tight loops like a Rage, or a real scandi deliever. But, if you want to slow things down for winter fish, and benefit from a longer shooting head and tighter lines during the swing ( I caught 2 nice rainbows and the takes were awesome), this is a great line

Got out and fished the S1/S3/S5 today. I bought the same grainage as the F/I/S2 but it sure seemed to cast differently than it's slower sinking counterpart. I'm thinking I might need the 460 for this sink rate; might even experiment with cutting this head. It was challenging to cast. I didn't get it dialed for a couple hours.

But, this thing fishes GREAT... It swings deep and slow. I had an 8wt switch with 10ft of t-11 and a weighted fly that probably fished as deep, but not as slow. The other nice thing is how straight it swings. When I fished just the head there was 0 mending needed after the first pullback.

Bottom line: this line, more so than the slower sinking version, is a challenge to cast. 60'+ casts are easily achieved, but they aren't smooth and fast with tight loops like a Rage, or a real scandi deliever. But, if you want to slow things down for winter fish, and benefit from a longer shooting head and tighter lines during the swing ( I caught 2 nice rainbows and the takes were awesome), this is a great line
Were you single spey casting and having trouble with the lift? I tend to struggle with various intermediate heads when I Single Spey with these heads, but not so much with a full sink Rio Scandi body and matched 15ā€™ head. I think part of the issue is the longer intermediate heads that I have used. I have been very curious about that specific head for my 14ā€™ 7/8 rod but based on your report may go with the airflow F.I.S.T because it is shorter. The one I have for my 13ā€™ rod is easy to cast but I wanted to do less stripping... like you said in an earlier post, Iā€™d really rather go with a scandi line and single spey cast.

Last edited:

the_grube

Were you single spey casting and having trouble with the lift? ...
Yes, I was throwing single-speys. The lift takes a lot of umph, it feels like I have a gob of weeds on my line. I think your 14' 7/8 would be a great match for this line -- you might go 460 depending on what grain you toss in a normal scandi. If you go 460 and don't like it I'll give you $30.00 for it used (assuming it's undamaged). I'd like to try the lower grainage on my rode

I took this line out again and figured a few things out. I think this line, like what I've heard about mid and long bellies, is less forgiving than a skagit or even a full floating scandi. I have trouble with cork-screw loops on full float scandi single speys, but they fly out and fish just fine. With this line, I have the same core issue, but it's unforgiving -- in some ways that's better for learning because it's a full stop until you fix the problem. The fix is to get my hips fully rotated when re-positioning the line. If that splash/anchor isn't lined up for the forward stroke on this line bad things happen flies hit rod tips etc... The other piece is to keep things moving (someone mentioned that earlier on this thread...)

After an hour of figuring things out, I was tossing straight and true casts consistently out to 50'. And, about every 10th cast shot out like a missile with a tight rising loop. That tells me that the problem is me, not the line. That's good, because with patience, dilligence and hard work I can change 'me'.

Bottom I'm going to invest more time in this line. It's so dang fishy, it swings low and slow, and just feels 'sexy'. I figure if I'm roping suckers in 6' of water with an unweighted fly on 5' of nylon tippet (no poly or sink-tip) then the 3d head is behaving as advertised.... IMG_20180114_081407.jpg

Latest posts