Too much for 3X

Buzzy

More on the 3X later on......

Wednesday morning I got up about a half hour before my alarm clock. Excited, thinking about hitting the salt for SRC and maybe, just maybe, a salmon. Got to Herb's cabin, known fondly as Camp Runamuck, before noon. A quick sandwich and off we went, towing his 14 foot boat to a launch within MA12.

As we headed down the road, we could see the Canal at times and there was some wind. At the boat launch, somewhat sheltered from the north wind, we quickly got the boat floating and our gear loaded. Both of us had pre-rigged our rods so it was motor out, strip, stretch, cast and repeat. 4.JPG
Crabber headed out...........

I took over the tiller trying to keep the boat within casting distance of the shore. Sometimes I think a GPS controlled bow mounted electric would be nice to keep the bow in line when it is windy. A little throttle, and pull on the tiller, problem solved (as long as the "little throttle" doesn't knock your buddy over).

It didn't take us long and we found SRC. Actually, we found a lot of them but many were quite small, less than six inches; almost bait like. We did find some decent fish. My best SRC Wednesday afternoon was a heavy 15-incher. Just like that, it was done. The bite was over.

I did spot two adult coho, they were really ripping out of the estuary. Two gear guys were really working the estuary over. I made a cast in the direction of the fleeing fish but no love.
7.JPG Thursday morning it was sunny with just a light breeze which died completely as the sun warmed the air. The bite was really good from 9:30 till about 1:00 and then we really had to work for the fish. With the calm seas, we were able to cover about four miles of shoreline.

It seemed the best places were the ones you read about on this forum, eddies, drop offs at points where there's current, scum lines. At one point, I saw something underwater and got super stoked, a small school of adult coho. Unfortunately, no love and they appeared to be spooked by us (probably because by the time I spotted them, we were right on top of the school).

The section of the Canal we were fishing has lots of downed trees along the shore. Often a cast near a sunken tree brought a quick strike or at least a follow.
6.JPG Trespassing for a pee break. It really got hot Thursday afternoon and finding a bit of shade was nice.
5.JPG
Herb was at the tiller just trolling one of his flies on an I-line when his rod was nearly jerked out of his hand. A small salmon started jumping. I reached over and pushed his motor into neutral and a few minutes later he landed this 16-17 inch (blackmouth?) salmon. Ice cream fish for the day!

We called it quits early as the bite waned and it was darn hot. We had one more day and our buddy Keith was joining us.
1.JPG I'd tied up some composite loop "minnows" and was pleased that they worked off and on. But Thursday morning, in the wind and rain, they went "bumpless". Keith was in the bow of the boat and could cast to shore, he was busy getting bit. He ties some incredibly beautiful minnow patterns and favors flies with eyes.

I started changing up flies and thought I'd fish a couple big bait fish patterns in hopes that I could get a big salmon: big bait, big fish? No love on the big flies so I went back to my old standby. Bruce Ferguson's green and silver (but with a little orange in the wing).

When using a type7 line, one needs to keep in mind how fast you are stripping relative to the bottom depth. When you are in a boat with three guys fishing and you foul hook bottom, no problem (the first time), everybody reels in and you chase the fly. 12# Seaguar was no match for whatever my green and silver was fouled on; the tippet broke at the surgeon's knot. I rerigged (only this time with 8#, second of three mistakes) and in short order foul hooked bottom again. I pointed the rod at the snag and broke off the fly (dammit).

I looked at my leader and decided "time for a new leader". Here's my worst mistake of the day: I tied on a brand new 7.5' 3X (trout) leader and knotted a beautiful polar bear hair Ferguson's green and silver (again, with a little orange). The fly was very sparse.

I decided I'd troll and run the boat giving Herb another chance at pounding the shoreline. Not too long after I took the helm, I had a good strike. I stood up and as I did, my rod started bucking and the reel screaming. I looked back and saw a big (want to say HUGE) coho jump Line was ripping off then coming at me then ripping away and then the fish jumped a second time. Man, big fish! Then slack. Nothing. Nada, zip, zero, zilch.

I reeled in and found nothing except what appeared to be a nipper cut tippet. I was shaking like a leaf in the wind; quaking aspen. My knees felt like rubber but I was grinning from ear to ear (and I have big ears). I sure would like to have gotten that fish to the boat. I made a mistake and it cost me. But it just jazzes me for more saltwater fishing.
8.JPG
The second from top fly is my version of Bruce Ferguson's "green and silver" (with a little orange), the top fly is the more traditional tie. The bottom fly is something I cooked up thinking "big fly, big fish" but it went loveless. The fly with the eye did quite well catching SRC and a couple shaker coho.

Ain't Washington a great place to live?

mtskibum16

Nice report! Good fly selection as well. I really like the orange one with the eye and the upper left squid in the top picture. I'd fish your "big fly" with confidence. I have a hard time leaving Maxima Ultragreen, because I can't remember the last time I broke off a fish. Any picture of that salmon's tail or mouth? I'd say coho based on location and what I can see. Looks like white gum line and sparse spots just on the top of the tail.

Buzzy

Nice report! Good fly selection as well. I really like the orange one with the eye and the upper left squid in the top picture. I'd fish your "big fly" with confidence. I have a hard time leaving Maxima Ultragreen, because I can't remember the last time I broke off a fish. Any picture of that salmon's tail or mouth? I'd say coho based on location and what I can see. Looks like white gum line and sparse spots just on the top of the tail.
Maxima Ultragreen, eh? Have it, didn't have it with me. My bad (fourth mistake?)... that's the only picture I got of Herb's salmon. We assumed coho because it jumped and jumped but then I wasn't sure when we netted it.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

I had a very big fish (probably a King) break my 12 lb Maxima Ultra green two weeks ago. First time that has happened to me! I am estimating the fish was 15+ lbs. It broke me off after about a 4-5 minute fight. It broke at the knot of the perfection loop I tied to connect the Maxima to my fly line so that is a consideration. Biggest salmon I have hooked yet!

Have you ever used Seaguar flouro? Cheap for that stuff too. I have been using it a bit. Works well.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
@Buzzy , What a great day, and a great report. I have been using the New Cortland fluorocarbon tippet material. It's holding up beautifully in the saltchuck. And its holding knots really well. Worth a try.

mtskibum16

Maxima Ultragreen, eh? Have it, didn't have it with me. My bad (fourth mistake?)... that's the only picture I got of Herb's salmon. We assumed coho because it jumped and jumped but then I wasn't sure when we netted it.
It's the gold standard in the salt. Tough and reliable. The tough is important for beach fishing where your leader and knots get banged around on the beach.

I had a very big fish (probably a King) break my 12 lb Maxima Ultra green two weeks ago. First time that has happened to me! I am estimating the fish was 15+ lbs. It broke me off after about a 4-5 minute fight. It broke at the knot of the perfection loop I tied to connect the Maxima to my fly line so that is a consideration. Biggest salmon I have hooked yet!

Have you ever used Seaguar flouro? Cheap for that stuff too. I have been using it a bit. Works well.
I'm not saying it's unbreakable, but I'd still guess that was a bad knot more than the Maxima. Tough (and usually unnecessary) to put 12lbs of force on salmon with a 6-8wt rod. But a 15+lb king certainly counts as an unusual beach encounter so all bets are off. :D I have put some serious wood to 15lb chum with an 8wt and 12lb Maxima with no problems. I used to use 15lb Maxima for Chum, but it's damn near impossible to break off if you foul hook a big fish and don't want to drag it in sideways for 10 minutes. I have not tried the Seaguar yet but will consider it after I work through my Maxima supply. I'm less confident in my knots with flouro.

Last edited:

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
It's the gold standard in the salt. Tough and reliable. The tough is important for beach fishing where your leader and knots get banged around on the beach.

I'm not saying it's unbreakable, but I'd still guess that was a bad knot more than the Maxima. Tough (and usually unnecessary) to put 12lbs of force on salmon with a 6-8wt rod. But a 15+lb king certainly counts as an unusual beach encounter so all bets are off. :D I have put some serious wood to 15lb chum with an 8wt and 12lb Maxima with no problems. I have not tried the Seaguar yet, but I'll consider it after I work through my Maxima supply. I'm less confident in my knots with flouro.

Yeah, based on the fact it broke at the knot makes me think a good chunk of that was knot tied error :).

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai

Even for tiny trout fishing I still use Maxima Ultragreen to hand tie leaders and for all my non fluoro tippet applications. Its the best. It lays out straight, its strong AF and ties great knots. Once and forever a Maximu ultragreen fan

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I've been a big Maxima UG fan for a long time and still use it.
This summer I fished a lot of with Seaguar fluorocarbon and was very happy with the results.
I had some bad results with other brands of fluoro.
I used Seaguar for trout fish a lot in the past but will now keep it in the salt stable as well.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts