Too much for 3X

Bagman

A friend of mine was telling me about a leader material that he is using out in the ocean that he really likes, it's name is Ande he says to go with the pink. Anybody using this for fly leaders?

mbowers

I took over the tiller trying to keep the boat within casting distance of the shore. Sometimes I think a GPS controlled bow mounted electric would be nice to keep the bow in line when it is windy. A little throttle, and pull on the tiller, problem solved (as long as the "little throttle" doesn't knock your buddy over).

It will blow your mind how nicely a GPS trolling motor will do that. You can both fish at the same time or if solo spend 0.1% of your time on boat control..

With a loop knot, there's not much reason to go light on tippet on a stripped fly. :)

nailbender

A friend of mine was telling me about a leader material that he is using out in the ocean that he really likes, it's name is Ande he says to go with the pink. Anybody using this for fly leaders?
I have never used the pink stuff, but I do have alot of experience with the ande tournament green and their other green budget line also, in 10, 12, and 15 lb.. Never used it for fly leader just for mooching (reels and leader). The tournament is rated closer to actual breaking strength while the other is rated less than actual breaking strength in my opinion. Similar to big game. Good blue collar mono, as good as big game. Just my opinion.

I stick with maxima ultra green for most all my fly leaders. Once you have the leader size spools you can refill them from a larger spool and save a few bucks.

I do use seagaur when I think its needed (not very often).

Agree with mbowers I have caught quite a few cutthroat with a loop knot on 10 and 12 lb. As long as you can get it thru the hook eye.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Great report Buzzy! I'd love to get into this kind of fishing and felt like I was in the boat with you guys. Thanks for the ride.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
Seguar is the standard down here for bluefin tuna. Very line shy and avoid mono like the plague. 25#, 40#and 60# Seguar are in my saltwater bag always

Havent used fluoro for trout yet, but I will if I have to

CrockPot

Down here in Northern California we do a lot of fishing for big Kings and use 10lb., maybe 12lb., Maxima for tippet material. And we put the weinie to them. No slacking when it comes to fighting them. The stuff will pull a small truck.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

mbowers

Down here in Northern California we do a lot of fishing for big Kings and use 10lb., maybe 12lb., Maxima for tippet material. And we put the weinie to them. No slacking when it comes to fighting them. The stuff will pull a small truck.

12lb Maxima is 02X by diameter. 02X Hardy tippet is 20lb. I bet they both break around 20lb.

Maxima strength is fake news. It is deliberately under rated so it appears strong.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: TDB

CrockPot

12lb Maxima is 02X by diameter. 02X Hardy tippet is 20lb. I bet they both break around 20lb.

Maxima strength is fake news. It is deliberately under rated so it appears strong.

You will see by others comments how many use Maxima Ultragreen.
Why?
Because it works.

ChaseBallard

bushwhacker
Maxima Ultragreen for beaches where abrasion is likely or in cases where I need something supple, Seaguar Blue Label flouro for everything else.

Both are great, but the latter is far stronger. And not as pricey as some other flouro. Worth it in my opinion for everything from 6 lb tippet for cutts to 40 and 50 lb trolling hoochies or fly fishing for lings.

Don Freeman

Free Man
32 Inch Chinook (15 lbs?) on a 6 wt using 2X Rio Flouroflex PLUS. I don't know how long it took, probably 20 minutes or so. This was back when I first started using fluoro and had been counseled to use Uni knots for that material. Have been using the Uni-family religiously ever since and never had a failure. When using Premium grades of fluorocarbon leader I've found it to be every bit as tough as Maxima. I just use a perfection loop and put 2 or 3 feet of 2X right onto sinking or intermediate lines. I have switched to Seaguar Grand Max as it's a little tougher and holds
knots best.
Blackmouth  II 2-12-11.jpg

mbowers

You will see by others comments how many use Maxima Ultragreen.
Why?
Because it works.

Not denying for a second that it works, just pointing out WHY it works: it's much thicker than other tippet in same pound rating. :)

CrockPot

Not denying for a second that it works, just pointing out WHY it works: it's much thicker than other tippet in same pound rating. :)

Thank you for your input.
I feel there are other factors at work with this line that make it desirable, other than its thickness.

TDB

Flounder Pounder

Bingo, Maxima is hella thicc.

Buzzy

Like to thank those who identified the salmon as a coho, I guess we should have known by all the jumping which seems uncharacteristic for Chinook. And as for leaders and leader materials: wow. Lots of opinions, that's for sure! Hard to argue, though, that using a 3X trout leaders was a MISTAKE!

Off to a trout lake tomorrow and now fitted with 2X Seaguar fluorocarbon for a size 16 water boatman.....(got it through the eye of the hook).

mbowers

Thank you for your input.
I feel there are other factors at work with this line that make it desirable, other than its thickness.

I've actually grown to like Maxima for river swinging when there's only a 4ft leader from my T tip. I think it has more stretch than most and the shorter the leader, the more stretch you want IMHO. But for saltwater I'm all fluorocarbon unless topwater and then it's a clear mono.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info