Too much for 3X

Richard E

I started changing up flies and thought I'd fish a couple big bait fish patterns in hopes that I could get a big salmon: big bait, big fish?

Lefty Kreh notes "Big fly, big fish. Small fly, ALL fish."

Great report! You put a lot of time and work into it; nicely done!

You said you were fishing out of a tiller boat? What boat? From where did you launch?

Thanks!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I've actually grown to like Maxima for river swinging when there's only a 4ft leader from my T tip. I think it has more stretch than most and the shorter the leader, the more stretch you want IMHO. But for saltwater I'm all fluorocarbon unless topwater and then it's a clear mono.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I find myself agreeing with this. I've used 12# Ultragreen for mainline on my spinning reel, and for straight leader on my fly line when casting for salmon.
12# works fine if the fly body (or spinner) runs interference between a Chinook's teeth and one's leader. I've had 12# get bitten through by Chinook too often to trust it any more when targeting them. 20# might not be enough. I had more than one nice Willapa Bay Chinook bite right through my 20# leader on my herring trolling setup, soon after hookup, with no lure body or any wrappings to protect the knot and line. Now I use 30# leader for that, and might go to 40#.
Once, on the Satsop, I had a mid-20's King grab my fly and take off like a rocket, breaking me off (12# Maxima Ultragreen) after about 7 seconds. I don't recall seeing any tell-tale curly-cue that might have indicated knot failure. Was a clean cut...probably from the fish's teeth.
I recently talked to some bait anglers who were fishing roe under floats for tidewater Chinook. They had gone first to 30# and now 40# leaders to guard against sharp teeth. They said they believed that Chinook are not leader shy.

I'm going with 20# Ultragreen and loop knots this year. Unless I'm fishing deeper, then I'll use fluorocarbon.

Kfish

WFF Supporter
It's the gold standard in the salt. Tough and reliable. The tough is important for beach fishing where your leader and knots get banged around on the beach.

I'm not saying it's unbreakable, but I'd still guess that was a bad knot more than the Maxima. Tough (and usually unnecessary) to put 12lbs of force on salmon with a 6-8wt rod. But a 15+lb king certainly counts as an unusual beach encounter so all bets are off. :D I have put some serious wood to 15lb chum with an 8wt and 12lb Maxima with no problems. I used to use 15lb Maxima for Chum, but it's damn near impossible to break off if you foul hook a big fish and don't want to drag it in sideways for 10 minutes. I have not tried the Seaguar yet but will consider it after I work through my Maxima supply. I'm less confident in my knots with flouro.
I tried that new seaguar as tippet section but it keeps breaking at the double surgeon junction with the thicker Maxima mono leader, and with not a lot of force either. Not sure if it's because of my knot or what but I stopped using it.

Buzzy

Lefty Kreh notes "Big fly, big fish. Small fly, ALL fish."

Great report! You put a lot of time and work into it; nicely done!

You said you were fishing out of a tiller boat? What boat? From where did you launch?

Thanks!
14 foot with a 9.9 - I think the boat is a Lowes (obviously not my boat)...... PM on where we fished.

I'm going with 20# Ultragreen and loop knots this year. Unless I'm fishing deeper, then I'll use fluorocarbon.[/QUOTE]
I tried that new seaguar as tippet section but it keeps breaking at the double surgeon junction with the thicker Maxima mono leader, and with not a lot of force either. Not sure if it's because of my knot or what but I stopped using it.

I had exactly the same thing happen: breakage at the surgeon's knot. I didn't feel like I'd gotten close to what it would normally take to break the tippet. I spit like crazy when I cinched the knot tight......... Next time, Maxima.

mtskibum16

Might not make a difference, but I always do a triple wrap for my surgeons knot (triple surgeons) connecting two leader sections.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Try using the Uni knot. When tied properly, it is a far superior knot than the surgeons, for joining two pieces of different leader material. The surgeons knot is popular because its so quick and easy. I only use the surgeons knot when the daylight is fading and I'm in a hurry. Ultragreen to ultragreen. Most of the time, and all the time with fluoro, I'll use the Uni knot.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I live and breathe Maxima. Have yet to find a reason to move away from it.

That said we've used this stuff for all our live bait tuna fishing the last two years and its impressed me. Incredibly tough stuff. We don't think twice about continuing to fish it after feeling abrasion from blue sharks and such. If I make the move to fluro I'll definitely give it a shot

http://p-line.com/line/leader/cfx-leader

Buzzy

Try using the Uni knot. When tied properly, it is a far superior knot than the surgeons, for joining two pieces of different leader material. The surgeons knot is popular because its so quick and easy. I only use the surgeons knot when the daylight is fading and I'm in a hurry. Ultragreen to ultragreen. Most of the time, and all the time with fluoro, I'll use the Uni knot.
I guess I need to get another tutorial out and then practice, practice......uniknot. I was taught the surgeon's knot was superior to the blood knot and for sure the surgeon's knot is quick. Live and learn, thanks for this tidbit!

ChaseBallard

bushwhacker
I live and breathe Maxima. Have yet to find a reason to move away from it.

That said we've used this stuff for all our live bait tuna fishing the last two years and its impressed me. Incredibly tough stuff. We don't think twice about continuing to fish it after feeling abrasion from blue sharks and such. If I make the move to fluro I'll definitely give it a shot

http://p-line.com/line/leader/cfx-leader

That P Line CFX flouro is good stuff. Been using it for most of my steelhead applications for years, as it's what the gear guides I know use every winter. Personally I've had better experiences with Seagaur in the salt as it appears to be slightly less brittle, but probably 6 or a half dozen between the two.

TroutHustle

F521494E-EAF6-43A9-9F0E-69C78EC0E8BB.jpeg What do I do after reading this thread? Fish 3x fluoro when I know there’s salmon around.

Lost a nice salmon because I didn’t let it run and tried to strong arm it in on 3x.
But I did find a nice SRC

Richard E

Two thumbs up. The uni knot is also my preferred knot when building leaders and when joining different materials, i.e. Fluoro to mono, etc.

If you want only one knot to know and use, this is the one, from backing onto spool down the line to tying on the fly.

Richard E

I guess I need to get another tutorial out and then practice, practice......uniknot. I was taught the surgeon's knot was superior to the blood knot and for sure the surgeon's knot is quick. Live and learn, thanks for this tidbit!

The double surgeon's is quick to tie, and quick to break. It tests strong when tied correctly, but as simple a knot it is, it's easy not to tie it snugly/correctly.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info