Breathable waders leaking

I'm using a cheap set of waders ( Redington Crosswater )( in a float tube) that, after a couple of months, are leaving me with a wet behind. So I pumped them up and used soapy water to find that the seam was bubbling. I used Aqua Seal on the seam.. no more bubbles but still get a wet behind (only the area that is contacting the seat) after a few hours of fishing. So I research. It seems that "durable water repellent " is a thing. "Revive X" and "Nikwax" are mentioned. Apparently "breathable" waders need this stuff to remain "waterproof" after the factory application is compromised. So ... before placing an order for Revive X, I am seeking guidance here. Thanks in advance, Jim

Rod Sand

I'm using a cheap set of waders ( Redington Crosswater )( in a float tube) that, after a couple of months, are leaving me with a wet behind. So I pumped them up and used soapy water to find that the seam was bubbling. I used Aqua Seal on the seam.. no more bubbles but still get a wet behind (only the area that is contacting the seat) after a few hours of fishing. So I research. It seems that "durable water repellent " is a thing. "Revive X" and "Nikwax" are mentioned. Apparently "breathable" waders need this stuff to remain "waterproof" after the factory application is compromised. So ... before placing an order for Revive X, I am seeking guidance here. Thanks in advance, Jim
Use aquaseal,you"ll have better luck.

Thanks for the response. My first instinct is to Aqua Seal the whole area, however if I can just spray the waders with Rivive X (and be dry) it would seem to be the better option. I was always skeptical about something being breathable and waterproof. One way or the other I intend to keep dry.

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
I have the same problem, but I don't think it's a problem with the breathability of the fabric. You're gonna sweat a bit, and that sweat can't go anywhere since it's a wet seat on the other side if the fabric. Do you get wet standing in waist deep water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nailbender

If they are only a couple months old and leaking why not return them? You could go for a road trip and do the sage factory tour, then get replacement waders. Maybe fish somewhere in the area while you are down.

Jim,

I too have had issues with breathable waders when used with float tubes. My solution is to buy a cheap pair of neopreme waders. Found some Cadis waders for around $50 that work great. Another benefit with neopreme is that when the water cools off they do help in the warmth end of things.

Dave

Thanks for the input folks. The water is definitely coming through the material. I believe that siting on a wet seat has worn away the "durable water repellent" to the point where water is now permeating the material. So ..first I'll try some "Reviver X" which is made specifically for this purpose. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try covering the entire area with Aqua Seal, and maybe tool dip (Plasti dip) on the inside. They were cheap and I've probably already voided the warranty and don't want to be without waders so returning them is undesirable. I'll look for some neoprene waders as well, but would like to get these ones to work. Any additional input would be appreciated. Jim

PhilR

Re: tool dip- I had a friend spray that screen-door boat stuff on his wader leg when he couldn't find a leak. Not only did it not stop the leak, it would stick his legs together. Plus, he looked like he had been wearing his waders while hot mopping his roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDK

I've had the same problem with other waders including expensive Patagonias. I tried aqua seal but still leaked - looked like I had shit my pants! Neoprene is probably a good idea in float tubes, especially when weather is cooler.

Key word...."cheap"

jamma

Thanks for the input folks. The water is definitely coming through the material. I believe that siting on a wet seat has worn away the "durable water repellent" to the point where water is now permeating the material. So ..first I'll try some "Reviver X" which is made specifically for this purpose. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try covering the entire area with Aqua Seal, and maybe tool dip (Plasti dip) on the inside. They were cheap and I've probably already voided the warranty and don't want to be without waders so returning them is undesirable. I'll look for some neoprene waders as well, but would like to get these ones to work. Any additional input would be appreciated. Jim
I have read material that states the breathability comes from the tightness of the weave(smaller than water molecules but loose enough to pass air)and products like Revive X are just another way to squeeze a few more $ out of fishermen.You can take that with as many grains of salt as you want but it worked on me.Can't say I noticed any difference after application.

PhilR

I have read material that states the breathability comes from the tightness of the weave(smaller than water molecules but loose enough to pass air)and products like Revive X are just another way to squeeze a few more $ out of fishermen.You can take that with as many grains of salt as you want but it worked on me.Can't say I noticed any difference after application.
That's right. The pores pass water vapor but not liquid water. But, the vapor has to be able to get out, and if the outer fabric is soaked, then it's much harder for the vapor to pass through. renewing the DWR coating keeps the fabric from wetting out, improving the breathability. At least that's my understanding.

Latest posts