Munn Lake today...

After being completely disillusioned with this years Salmon offerings, I decided to focus on an goal not nearly as lofty...but achievable.

However, at the launch there were several dying rainbows, I tried to revive those I could, and a bunch of fish ( 10 or 15) finning awkwardly next to shore in the weeds, these were 12 to 18 inch fish. I have no clue what was going on unless the lake was recently stocked and these were the least intelligent fish trying to process what happened?
Worth a heads up I thought.
No trout caught or seen at all and we were the only people on the water all day.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Check the WDFW stocking reports. I found fresh evidence there of recent stocking activity when I checked this morning, which explained my lucky success at a lake yesterday.
There were 3 dead trout near the ramp where I fished. The lake had been stocked that very morning, and the day before.

Towards dark, I connected with a bunch of what seemed like gullible, recently released stockers. Was a mix of "1-pounders" and "1.75 pounders." Netted/released about a dozen in less than an hour. Good clean fun on the 4 wt with a clear int line, 10' leader with 4x flouro tippet (wasn't expecting any trout larger than 2 lbs), non-slip loop knot, and my trusty #8 brown "lake bugger."
No pics, as it was getting late when I arrived, and I had headed to that lake because I wanted to run my lithium-ion battery all the way down on my electric motor (should be done once a year, per instruction manual, which would have taken about 4 hours or more at "full-tilt boogie," had I done it). My battery meter still read only "half-way used up" as the shadows grew longer, and I could tell that I wouldn't have time to fish if I tried to run it down all the way, so abandoned that plan. I'm running it down today, in a barrel, if I must.

I fished until nearly dark. I apparently found a concentration of the newbies. They were cruising shallow and swirling on the surface. Easy pickins. I hope that they spread out.

At least you got out and enjoyed some colorful Bluegill action, Eyejuggler.

Last edited:
Yep, Munn was stocked yesterday morning, hence the pile of confused fish at the ramp.
Surprisingly we were the only ones there all day.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yep, Munn was stocked yesterday morning, hence the pile of confused fish at the ramp.
Surprisingly we were the only ones there all day.
I saw only a family of 3 people at the lake I fished, and two other guys in a small boat that left soon after I arrived. The stocking report for yesterday was published on the WDFW site this morning, so the seething masses hadn't yet received the news of any stockings that occurred on the 3rd or 4th. We were lucky "early birds." Stocking reports are updated on T and Th, so anything planted on T or W won't show up until Th.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I fished it sat late afternoon and evening. hooked into some nice bluegill and a few Karter than the palm of my hand crappie. I thank the good Lord for warm water fish. they saved us from getting a "Skunking". no trout seen or hooked.

Fished the Lake with over the weekend....only saw one dead fish. Saw an eagle get one and know of 10 trout caught on Sat.

Sunday, I got 6 early on but not one more as the day went on. Did not see anyone else get a trout. Plenty of small scrappy LMB also.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
I fished it sat late afternoon and evening. hooked into some nice bluegill and a few Karter than the palm of my hand crappie. I thank the good Lord for warm water fish. they saved us from getting a "Skunking". no trout seen or hooked.
Went trout fishing only caught warm water species is still call skunked on trout:D

Latest posts