High-Tech Bow Hunting - First archery mule deer *Story and PICS*

JasonG

Thank you for sharing your pictures and story! Is that a Spott hog fast eddie? Do you like it? Im in a debate with my self to go single pin or multi pin.

Luke77

I hope she likes whitefish
Yep, it's the fast Eddie. I loved it for 3d shoots, but for hunting, I'd rather have a 4 pin slider now. Too much adjusting on the fly with the single pin.

ribka

I see no white elephant in the room as the op abided by WA state laws. Much more sporting than using a laser range finder , looking shooting tables in your smart phone and shooting a deer at 500 yds with a 12 lb rifle.

know most states don't allow the op method but Washington does allow and Luke abided by all rules and regs to harvest this buck which is quite a feat in Yakima county. We can use game cams during hunting season here in Washington, in Montana you can't . You can bait in Washington and in Montana you cannot. Our hunting opportunities and game herds are a fraction of what is available in Montana. As it is WDFW here in WA seem to limit hunting and fishing opportunities more and more every year.

You cannot use motorized decoys in Washington, no 209 primers in ml season etc.if someone took the time to post a report on here about a duck hunt in Montana and used motorized decoys would not crap on his thread because it is not legal here in Washington.

I've never used electronics hunting but I'm not going to criticize someone who abides by all the states rules and regs. Some think using ecollars on dogs is unsportsmennlike.

Been bow hunting over 40 years and can remember when Allen came out with the first compound. I met Fred Bear and was thrilled. I've taken P&Y deer bear and caribou with a homemade long bow and recurve. I used to make all my own cedar arrows and have taken deer with flint heads. Ive bow hunted all over the US Canada and Russia. I knew Paul Schaefer and hunted with him.Still have a silver tip recurve from him. Know Dick Robertson too . I love to see young ethical hunters like Luke get involved in bow hunting. They're the future of the sport.He's put a lot of time in this year before season and earned this buck.

Anyway We have enough of a struggle with anti hunters and losing seasons why fight within our ranks?

No offense meant to GeneS

Ribka, the white elephant in the room is that the only reason Luke even had a shot was because his pal walked him into the bedded group with technology. It's something that's been made illegal in many states due to it's effectiveness as Gene has shared. With the way things seem to go in our state, I'd venture we'll have a similar law in the next decade or so.

I still think it's a killer report and a great animal, no question about it.
does

Last edited:

Gene S

I love to see young ethical hunters like Luke get involved in bow hunting. They're the future of the sport.
ribka - I've enjoyed your posts on this forum but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. My post was not meant to take anything away from Luke's hunt with the exception of using an electronic device to direct and locate his animal. He made a great post documenting the hunt.

I too encourage young hunters to take up the sport of bow hunting. Just finished constructing two tree stands; three young hunters (one will use a blind) coming in this week to try their luck with whitetails. Odds are high that they will be successful. Last year an eighteen year old young lady killed her first deer, a nice four point whitetail.

Washington state hunting regulations need to change along with electronic technologies. Because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical. A person who takes and enters animals with P & Y or B & C should be familiar with their rules of fair chase. This type of unfair advantage is what feeds into anti-hunting sentiment.

Pope and Young website:
http://www.pope-young.org/fairchase/default.asp
The term "Fair Chase" shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:

By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.

Boone and Crockett website:

https://www.boone-crockett.org/pdf/On_Fair_Chase.pdf

Even where legal, hunters must consider the ethics of using technologies that allow them to shoot at substantially increased distances far beyond an animal’s ability to sense danger; game scouting cameras that transmit live, real time images to the hunter; on call hunting (using cell phones to call in a hunter when game has been located by others), and using two-way radios to guide a hunter to game in the field.

I see no white elephant in the room as the op abided by WA state laws.
Oh, I was just pointing out that the electronics/tech issue is something that is acknowledged by many today, as well as something addressed by many other states.
Anyway We have enough of a struggle with anti hunters and losing seasons why fight within our ranks?
I'm definitely not fighting, and respect everyone I've seen post so far in this part of the forum. One of the stinky things about the internet is how we need to constantly qualify our words incase someone perceives an argumentative tone. I usually don't qualify mine, and that lands me where we are sometimes.

Anyhow, killer story and critter. I know it was heaps of work to still make happen, shoes off and teepee creepin' and all. :)

Last edited:

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
Billy--fletch your own with real feathers!! Where you gonna go for late deer? I had two that a "certain person", shall we say, "convinced" me not to release a shaft on.....So I have to make this up during late season!

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Billy--fletch your own with real feathers!! Where you gonna go for late deer? I had two that a "certain person", shall we say, "convinced" me not to release a shaft on.....So I have to make this up during late season!
Lol - nothing like the aroma of a feather-burner in the evening - Moms & Wives just love it! I had to go to a die-cutter to keep the peace, but I still miss the "old way."

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
ribka-

If it's legal I'm onboard. Is it fair chase? Not in my opinion...
Been shooting and making bows for a very long time. I've bow hunted most western states and in other countries. My Pope and Young bucks and bulls speak for themselves and I'm not going to get in a 'who can piss further match' back and forth with you. PM if you want to discuss further.

Luke - As stated congrats.
In Republic Washington many of our adjacent landholders start baiting them in starting in late July. It seems the first step in deer hunting is you make pets out of them and then you shoot one on opening day . Not my idea of deer hunting but it's legal & you end up with a corn feeded deer.

ribka

Awesome report! I skip early season so I can fish and instead do a 2 week late hunt. Infact fletching arrows at this moment... Thanksgiving cant get here soon enough!
View attachment 152260
4 fletch?

I used to love feather fletching. It is a pain when it gets wet. You probably know this but treat with water repellent before hunting late season.

I missed a bear in Canada years ago because I did not treat my fletching when hunting in the rain for a few days

Good luck late season. Can be a fun time to hunt if the snow pushes animals down

Latest posts