How do you get your pram into Lenice or Nunnally?

Richard E

I have a 10' Stillwater Stonefly pram, which is one of Stillwater's first boats. It's a different design than the Hopper; it's more like a 10' version of their classic 8' model. I'm in the process of adding accessories to it. It's a bit heavy to car top, so it gets hauled around on a trailer.

I'd like to drag it into the Crab Creek chain lakes - Lenice, Nunnally, et al - and possibly some other lakes. In past years I've used my pontoon boat on those waters, and have seen prams on the lakes. I never paid attention on how they got them in to the lakes.

How do you get your pram in to waters to where you just can't drive up and launch?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Most people I see use a home made two wheeled cart. You can get as fancy as you want to get. There is some soft sand at the launch and wider tires would make it easier than the skinny tires. If you look around the launch on your next trip that should give you some ideas.

MB

Either by hard work with two+ folks carrying or as Scott mentioned above - lots of guys have carts or wheels for prams or pontoon boats. Lots of different "wheeled" contraptions around the launch point that folks use. Lenice is shorter and easier than Nunnally - but both areas have sand areas you need to deal with.

Peach

Buzzy

I've been trying to come up with an easy to build, reliable and easy to use transfer from my trailer so I can get my pram to Lenice or other water you can't just back up to..... I took a picture of this clever set up on a boat at Cady Lake. Just one idea.
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg

If you come up with the easy, reliable, easy..... let us know!

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Buzzy:

Interesting set up for a lake like cady. I think it would be easier to have the boat open so you could put stuff in the boat to take it down to the lake, i.e., boat keel down on the cart or ? Of course, not too far to take a couple trips, which is what I usually do.

MB

Bruce Baker

Buzzy:

Interesting set up for a lake like cady. I think it would be easier to have the boat open so you could put stuff in the boat to take it down to the lake, i.e., boat keel down on the cart or ? Of course, not too far to take a couple trips, which is what I usually do.

MB
It looks like the boat's bottom is down in Buzzy's photo, or did I misunderstand something?

troutpocket

I've hauled my 10' Hopper II into Lenice twice. It was a lot of work even with two people (it was Ira's idea ;)). On both occasions the dolly system that we used on the way in failed (broke) in the soft sand near the launch and we had to borrow another dolly to get the boat back to the parking area. The process would be easier with a smaller and lighter boat. My boat weighs >100 lbs and we added a trolling motor, battery, anchors, oars, and a cooler. Most folks I see in there with prams are using single seaters that probably weigh 70-80 lbs. The successful dolly systems are mostly wide and low to the ground with a stout axle. The dolly sits under the stern and then two people pull with a harness system off the bow. At this point I'm more likely to use my inflatables as neither lake is all that big and can be covered in a pontoon or watermaster with a lot less effort and logistics.

Buzzy

It looks like the boat's bottom is down in Buzzy's photo, or did I misunderstand something?
Boat is "right side up" and was sitting on the trailer. I really don't know if the man who built the boat and dolly system actually used it at Cady or not.... saw the way he'd done it and thought it a possibility for my pram.

IveofIone

Scott is right about the skinny tires-they are a non starter in sand or fine gravel. If tires are going to be skinny then they have to be tall like bicycle tires. One of the problems with two wheeled carts is just two wheels. If I were doing this I would look into an axle with probably four wheels on it instead of two. Think dually pickup truck. Look up plastic wheels and you will find a variety of wheels that never go flat, are light weight and don't cost much. These can be spaced on the axle with simple collars secured by a set screw. The bore of the hub is the bearing. Just look at Buzzy's top picture and envision two more wheels on the axle about 6'' from the existing wheel and the wheels 3-4''wide instead of an inch and a half.

I took my Hopper 2 into Lenice this year with a buddy, I got the wide dolly that Jim used to sell when I bought the boat from someone else on the board. And like Troutpocket, we found it to be a lot of work to drag the boat up towards the lake. Of course, I didn't think abou checking the tire pressure and they were fairly flat. Coming down was easy. It's a pain to lift the boat full of stuff over the gate though. It is not something I would do by myself.

Wayne

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Bruce:

I am guessing that the boat is transported on the trailer keel down. When it is unloaded, it comes down on the wheels with the keep up.

That's what I think.

Richard E

Most people I see use a home made two wheeled cart. You can get as fancy as you want to get. There is some soft sand at the launch and wider tires would make it easier than the skinny tires. If you look around the launch on your next trip that should give you some ideas.

MB
Yep, but I'm hoping my 'next' trip will be with my pram... :)