NFR Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
We are just 5 years out before the world cup. Some of these 15 year olds that I've been scouting at the local high schools are quite promising. Can't wait.

Smalma

The USA just failed to qualify for the 2018 world cup. The time is in disarray and in dire need for some new talent so those there will be opportunities for new young talent.

The last decade or so the US has had world class goal keepers and adequate defenders and attackers but middle field remains a key weakness.

Hopefully the embarrassment of failing to qualify this year will lead to major re-organization of the USA soccer. Best hope for the development of young US talent may be the local development programs fo MLS!

Golfman - good luck to your young players!

Curt

chromie

The USA just failed to qualify for the 2018 world cup. The time is in disarray and in dire need for some new talent so those there will be opportunities for new young talent.

The last decade or so the US has had world class goal keepers and adequate defenders and attackers but middle field remains a key weakness.

Hopefully the embarrassment of failing to qualify this year will lead to major re-organization of the USA soccer. Best hope for the development of young US talent may be the local development programs fo MLS!

Golfman - good luck to your young players!

Curt
Whoa whoa whoa. WTF?

The US has a soccer team?

Jesus. I've been so occupied with the big news lately, America building a wall around Harvey Weinstein in an effort to prevent him from molesting bump stocks, that I must have missed the US getting into soccer.

Last edited:

jersey

livin' the dream
Embarrasing. Embarrasing these F'in jack-wagons actually thought they have legit and cohesive program in-place. Douche bags.

I can't begin to berate the players. Putting it another way, that team made mistakes any decent 15 to 16 year old kid team would NEVER do.

Talented players are here, but the moment they hit college, circle-the-drain begins. Too much, it's ridiculous and too much. A big part of me is happy for their failure. It hurts my eyes to watch this team play.

Bimini15

Whoa whoa whoa. WTF?

The US has a soccer team?

Jesus. I've been so occupied with the big news lately, America building a wall around Harvey Weinstein in an effort to prevent him from molesting bump stocks, that I must have missed the US getting into soccer.
To quote the great Men in Blazers: “Soccer, America’s sport of the future. Since 1972”

Smalma

Robert -
I agree that Iceland is a fun team to root for; their run in the 2016 UEFA Europe Championship was great. This week they became the smallest country to ever qualify for the world cup! When a country of only 1/3 million can make the tournament illustrates how important that team play can be.

Bimini -
To your question of what is wrong besides the obvious of soccer being a second tier sport in the US the US team has long been in need of an innovative mid field play. I think it speaks volume that the two players that had the best games last night was Pulisic and Yedlin; young players that playing on upper division club teams in Europe. While the US top level soccer league is a competitive league with some good soccer to produce battle tested US players the level play has to be elevated; that is spend the $$ to bring in more younger top flight players from around the world

However ultimately the USA needs to develop a vision of what US soccer style of play looks like and then install that approach at levels other than just the national team.

Curt

Bimini15

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...!
Smalma takes the prize!
Even Spain had to become an exporter and have top players play in other top leagues to push them over the hump and win Euro and World Cup.
England is an importer, and, well...
The US will have a hard time getting players to the top teams in the top leagues. Some cycles they will do well, some cycles they won’t, based on the coincidence of different factors.
Just my opinion.

Travis Bille

I legitimately felt like puking after the whistle blew last night.

It's so extremely frustrating and disappointing. A few players just played their last significant game for the USA, like Howard, Dempsey, maybe Geoff Cameron, who knows who else.

But there are some young very encouraging young players coming up. Obviously Pulisic is the shit.... but guys like Josh Sargent, Cameron Carter-Vickers, etc. We have some very bright prospects coming up. Maybe this was the last of the bad generation of the USMNT and the next great one is going to be ushered in. Maybe the system isn't broken and is just starting to work, and these new young guys will be the proof.

jersey

livin' the dream
This was my profession for many, many years. Part of this failure hits close to home, as colleagues and friends wear the badge.

Our prospects are a bit bleaker than presented, look to our Olympic qualifications and the rosters. Where are those cats? The MLS is not graduating talented US players "up", they are bringing in foreigners for immediate success. Check into the rosters of USL or NASL teams, why so many from outside the US?

The Nat'l team cant even keep possession moving forward. Possession backwards to the GK for a long 50/50 ball, gives me heartburn to know how much effort was put into advancing players and coaches for so many years. I could go on and on and on.

Players desire and hunger to advance their careers are hindered by our top league, who owns all the contracts. Even if we had another Yedlin, the MLS holds the paper and limits the transfer. This is why many top level younger players flee to Europe, as the barrier to advance is limited. Now the top level player is limited due to work permits and have to compete against anyone from the EU and Africa.

The team sucked, player ID sucked, tactics were a piece of shit, the athletes on the field for the last several WC qualifiers are best suited for direct and brute force, but we tried to play pretty and in control. Those guys do not have the talent for attractive and organized. Since this is FF site, Ill correlate... if your leader and set-up is a chuck and duck, don't F'in cast like its a 3wt with an Adams on the end of the line

Last edited:

o mykiss

So sad. Gulati needs to fire Arena, and then resign. The other team I root for in the WC - the Netherlands - didn't make it either. (Wow! Never thought I'd see that happen.) Think I'll be sitting this next one out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts