Coffee

I'm one of those dweebs who roasts my own, won't make it in anything other than a French Press or Aeropress, and will be damned if I'll let any corn-syrup based bullshit anywhere near it.

Go with an aeropress. Super easy and awesome. Get a jetboil to heat the water and you're golden.

Don't get dark roast bullshit beans. The only reason that exists is because it's the only way mega roasters get a consistent flavor - ash always tastes like ash. It also cuts through sugary "creamer" better than proper medium roasts. Additionally, coffee goes stale after about two weeks, which is the flavor most people expect from coffee. Goes stale in about a day if you grind it and leave it out. Friends don't let friends drink pre-ground coffee.

Plus one on the bullshit dark roast. A PROPER medium roast is the only way to go. Much more body, and finishes way better.

https://www.coffeetraders.com/index.cfm?action=storefront.productCoffee_page&product=organic-treasure-of-the-andes&cat_idx=1&subcat_idx=5

my current flavor, it changes every so often though.

Another favorite

https://store.coffeebean.com/coffee/costa-rica-la-cascada-tarrazu-coffee

One last thing, burr grinders are the only way to go, don't bother with those horseshit electric blade grinders. Try to use as soon as possible after grinding, for sure by the end of the day. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here in the homeland of the espresso, where coffee is just below God and mummy, my fly-fishing friends and I craftily plan our day such that when it's time to take a break, we're near a bar, preferably next to the river, so that we can have ourselves a professionally made shot of coffee. I kid you not. I imagine gear anglers do the same thing.

For some reason, there's ALWAYS (well, almost always) a bar near the river. For example on my beloved little spring creek all of 15 miles long, I can rely on at least 5 coffee break locations without even trying to hard. Come on over and I'll happily show you [emoji4].

Kenneth

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Here in the homeland of the espresso, where coffee is just below God and mummy, my fly-fishing friends and I craftily plan our day such that when it's time to take a break, we're near a bar, preferably next to the river, so that we can have ourselves a professionally made shot of coffee. I kid you not. I imagine gear anglers do the same thing.

For some reason, there's ALWAYS (well, almost always) a bar near the river. For example on my beloved little spring creek all of 15 miles long, I can rely on at least 5 coffee break locations without even trying to hard. Come on over and I'll happily show you [emoji4].

Kenneth
Word....

When I fished in Italy, the 'coffee' was great, also had the best 'shore lunch' ever with a 'nice Chianti' too.
Quite civilized, even if getting a fishing license was like something out of a Monty Python movie....
:)

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
what I do is take along a old stove top percolator coffee pot , fill it with river water ,put coffee in the filter basket, and place it on my older than dirt Optimus 8R hunter white gas stove. in a few minuets I have coffee brewing on my tailgate or on the deck of my pontoon boat.

Buzzy

I'm one of those dweebs who roasts my own, won't make it in anything other than a French Press or Aeropress, and will be damned if I'll let any corn-syrup based bullshit anywhere near it.

Go with an aeropress. Super easy and awesome. Get a jetboil to heat the water and you're golden.

Don't get dark roast bullshit beans. The only reason that exists is because it's the only way mega roasters get a consistent flavor - ash always tastes like ash. It also cuts through sugary "creamer" better than proper medium roasts. Additionally, coffee goes stale after about two weeks, which is the flavor most people expect from coffee. Goes stale in about a day if you grind it and leave it out. Friends don't let friends drink pre-ground coffee.
I see you and @troutpocket roast your own beans. Very curious about your source of beans and how you roast them (Rod uses a popcorn popper?).

For the OP - when I was in the Navy, four of us rented skis and all the support gear and made our way to Gotemba in the Japan Alps. A really cool place with deep powder snow. One night after skiing, I ordered coffee from the bar. Watched the bartender grind beans, put them into a press and pour boiling water in. I could smell the beans exploding. That was the best cup of coffee ever. Sure beat the heck out of the stuff on the USS Hector. I have a French press and a Nespresso, love 'em both. The Nespresso won't work well riverside.

Last edited:
I see you and @troutpocket roast your own beans. Very curious about your source of beans and how you roast them (Rod uses a popcorn popper?).

For the OP - when I was in the Navy, four of us rented skis and all the support gear and made our way to Gotemba in the Japanese Alps. A really cool place with deep powder snow. One night after skiing, I ordered coffee from the bar. Watched the bartender grind beans, put them into a press and pour boiling water in. I could smell the beans exploding. That was the best cup of coffee ever. Sure beat the heck out of the stuff on the USS Hector. I have a French press and a Nespresso, love 'em both. The Nespresso won't work well riverside.
@Buzzy you have mail.

Mike22

And now that the coffee connoisseurs have been awoken, anyone want to weigh in on aeropress v. pour over? I'm bored with my french press and want to know which direction I should go.

Last edited:
I never have gotten very fancy with some backcountry brew. I use an MSR pocket rocket to boil up some water and pour a packet of instant coffee in. About a 5min process.

Bjorn

What a thread! 6 pages in 3-4 days? Like many others I enjoy a shore made, or tail gate coffee break. I use a jet boil, roast my own (medium roast) been using same roaster for 20 years.........and a paper cone filter. I just bring along some fine ground coffee in a baggie.
The simple 25 dollar grinder works best for my needs, years ago we tried a fancy expensive model but it clogged up quickly and was returned equally fast.
A fresh made coffee is a wonderful break from a busy morning or evening and all that catching and releasing!:cool:

Latest posts