Coffee

Update: Thanks to @troutpocket and @Evan Burck I'm now roasting coffee (heat gun and metal bowl) and have a french press and Baratza Encore grinder on the way. The roasting is fun. Just got an 8lb sample pack from Sweet Maria's to start. What's a good origin for me to order a big supply of so I can limit variables while learning to roast?

Not really. Pretty damn easy and a standard home-roast method. How the hell do you use a heat gun!? ;)
I have to find it first...but when I do I just pull the trigger...and it either heats stuff up until just right or burns thye hell out of it and I put it away again in a special place.

Update: Thanks to @troutpocket and @Evan Burck I'm now roasting coffee (heat gun and metal bowl) and have a french press and Baratza Encore grinder on the way. The roasting is fun. Just got an 8lb sample pack from Sweet Maria's to start. What's a good origin for me to order a big supply of so I can limit variables while learning to roast?
Coffee preferences are a personal thing. Mine run towards full body medium-dark roasts. I like sweet Marias espresso blends and they’re available in 1, 2, or 5 pound bags which gives you enough to experiment with at a reasonable cost. This is my current bag.
12DEFF30-3A9D-4823-8565-66B1D51CFFCC.jpeg

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
I too use a jet boil and coffee press on the river or when I’m traveling.

Three things to add.

1. The original patent was by an Italian. I don’t know why we Americans call it a French press. We press coffee.

2. Since I was often packing my coffee press on mules or even my saddle bags, I thought a Lexan press would be great.

Then one fall morning when the temperature was hovering around zero I sleepily poured the jet boiled water into the Lexan press. POP! the bottom cracked and that ended it’s life.

3. I live rurally on well water. There’s no sulfur in my water but lots of minerals. My wife liked Mr Coffee makers for the ease and programmability. They last about 6 months.

Now we have two stainless coffee presses.

NukeLDO

Jetboil for the water and a GSI coffee press mug which can be found at REI or Sportsman's Warehouse. Peets. No grounds get through the press.

Buzzy

Coffee preferences are a personal thing. Mine run towards full body medium-dark roasts. I like sweet Marias espresso blends and they’re available in 1, 2, or 5 pound bags which gives you enough to experiment with at a reasonable cost. This is my current bag.
View attachment 155018
Went shopping at Goodwill for an air popper, no luck yet. Don't have a heat gun. Anxious to try some home roasted Sweet Maria's.

Went shopping at Goodwill for an air popper, no luck yet. Don't have a heat gun. Anxious to try some home roasted Sweet Maria's.
I'd for sure go the heat gun route again after some practice. Roasted a couple pounds last night for the holiday weekend. The right air poppers are kind of hard to find. I spent a few weeks and way too many trips to thrift shops looking. I got my heat gun for like $12 at Harbor Freight. There's a similar rated (1500 watts, dual temp) one on Amazon for $19. Really consistent roasts and you can see the coffee really well during the process. It's a bit slower than a roaster, so it's easier to dial in your roast level.

I've already had some perspective-changing cups of coffee from my home roasts. Had our first coffee with the good grinder and french roast this weekend, and damn, that's some good coffee!

I've started ordering by the 55lb bulk (since I roast so much between home and office), but it's tough to beat morecoffee.com for 5lb bags (i'm especially fond of the Uganda beans they have)

Buzzy

I'd for sure go the heat gun route again after some practice. Roasted a couple pounds last night for the holiday weekend. The right air poppers are kind of hard to find. I spent a few weeks and way too many trips to thrift shops looking. I got my heat gun for like $12 at Harbor Freight. There's a similar rated (1500 watts, dual temp) one on Amazon for $19. Really consistent roasts and you can see the coffee really well during the process. It's a bit slower than a roaster, so it's easier to dial in your roast level.

I've already had some perspective-changing cups of coffee from my home roasts. Had our first coffee with the good grinder and french roast this weekend, and damn, that's some good coffee!
I hear you about checking out thrift stores; I don't like being in them in the first place - my jammies are too clean. Seriously though, I watched a couple videos on roasting techniques and read one about using a heat gun. I presume you're not doing this in your kitchen? Does your Harbor Freight heat gun have speed/heat controls? Thanks for the response!

Don't think I'll be going down @Evan Burck's 55 lb bulk bag purchase, my goodness man, I bet your places smells wonderful when you're busy roasting.

Latest posts