Trip Report gathering data on riding

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
I'll ride my Fargo-29incher. One loop would be great, North from Whitefish to Red Meadow Lake campground, then over to Polebridge, South on North Fork Road-that's what shows up on google maps (It's actually Outside North Fork). halfway down toward Columbia Falls there's a campground right off the road, but---it's heavily traveled, with everything from private cars to semi-tractors, and dusty in Summer. Inside North Fork has not been passable by automobiles in a few years. still OK for mountain bikes though. It has several campgrounds on it, and is used by backcountry travelers, but I don't know the condition of the campgrounds if they haven't been serviced. That road will require crossing washouts and some downed trees I'm sure.

If we can handle the dust for about 25 miles on North Fork road, the opportunity presents itself for a fully supported tour with us not hauling anything. If we cross the river at Polebridge, and travel down the Inside North Fork, we'll have to lug our stuff, but what if we split that with a support vehicle that would meet us at Fish Creek Campground? It's about 27 miles from Polebridge to Fish Creek campground. we could do that in a day, or we could split it up and camp one night there. We'd certainly haul less on our bikes that way. Inside North Fork ends right at Fish Creek Campground, too! I'm attaching a video of 4 people who did this from Whitefish. I'm certain that they took the Red Meadow/Polebridge/Inside North Fork loop, rented the B.O.B trailers in Whitefish, probably from Glacier Cyclery. At one point, they're camped at Logging Creek Campground, and that's on the Inside Road.
There's some hills on the road, but it's pretty much all gravel/dirt except around Whitefish and Columbia Falls.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Jim,

Maybe you would benefit by using a heart rate monitor. The heart is a muscle and can only get stronger by exercising it. When I attended spin classes, the goal was to ride a certain amount of time at 80% of maximum heart rate. Ask your doctor what heart rate you should be riding or exercising at, and a monitor would allow you to do just that. You might have to ask more than one doctor because it seems like a lot of doctors are not informed about sports medicine.

Sg
Thanks, Sg. My cardiologist doesn't seem to know enough about heart rate monitors to recommend anything specific. He agreed that it might be a good idea to get one, when I asked him several months ago. He didn't mention any target rates, or other specifics. I want something simple and easy to wear...maybe a wrist or armband, not a chest band.

I went in for my regular check-up, yesterday. After I sat chillin' in the exam room for about 10 minutes, a nursing assistant came in and took my blood pressure and pulse. Numbers were right where they're supposed to be...100/68 with pulse of 72. That's after resting.
I feel like it all gets jacked up quickly once I start playing hard.

You're right...I need to train intelligently.

Last edited:

Alex MacDonald

guys, I'm attaching some shots of the bag system for my Fargo; all Revelate bags. In addition to what's on the bike, I have the capacity if necessary, to add a rear rack and panniers as well. don't really want to do that, but I'll have to see what's required when it's a little closer to the Spring!

I love how Fiona's kinda sneaking a peek here, too! Sorry about the clutter though, but you get the idea.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
IMGP1643.jpg Thanks for posting the vid, Alex. Most of those roads and campgrounds actually look pretty civilized in the vid! Glad to see those folks pushing their bikes up some of the steeper grades...exactly what I do.
Your bag system even looks similar to how I envision outfitting my bike. I even have those clip-on mud guards for when it rains here. My local day-trip training grounds vary, but I ride on some gated logging roads that actually look very similar to what was in the video. (Don't have the nice river, though...just tidal creeks and smaller streams to cross). IMGP1644.jpg IMGP1641.jpg

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I'll be taking my other bike with the 29" x 3" tires. Its a better all-around bike. IMGP1656.jpg

I need to do a couple of overnighters so that I know exactly what not to pack along, and discover what I wish I had brought along instead. My last tours were road trips, with panniers, etc. on a road bike. Fully loaded rear panniers can get in the way when you're pushing your loaded bike uphill. A large seat bag, frame bags, and a "handlebar roll," in addition to wearing a small backpack (15lbs to as much as 20 lbs), should be enough for me. Oh, and I have to get a pair of those Salsa "Anything Cages" for my front forks.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Nice video; thanks for posting it Alex. I like that inside road from Polebridge to Columbia Falls. I remember the dust driving the outside road Sept. before last. And that was in my car! It's badly washboarded, too, so the inconveniences of washouts, etc. on the inside road are more than a fair trade, plus the solitude. I really liked how those guys had the gals towing the Bob trailers - all right!

I have front and rear panniers, plus a bag on a rear rack and handlebar bag. I've never loaded them up to make sure they hold everything I need for a few days tho. They should; I backpack ultra-light.

Jim - keep training and see if that resting heart rate doesn't get down closer to 60. When I was endurance riding my rhr was 50; now it's 60.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Ehhh! Rain won't go away....If I want to go for a walk on the beach, I might actually have to don some of the dreaded, (but eventually "necessary") rain gear! So I'm back. Yeah, Sg, it seems like it wasn't that long ago when I could claim a resting heart rate in the high 50's...and then the low 60's.
Recent theories suggest that maybe working out hard for too long is the culprit....being the actual cause of arrhythmia in some individuals. Too much surfing, for example. One of my surf buddies who is my age, and who spent more hours in the water than did I, also developed arrhythmia about the same time that I did, and then he suffered a stroke! We were joking that we developed heart rhythms that mimicked the arrhythmical wave periods we sat through during hours of surfing.;)

Alex MacDonald

I seem to recall from my ski coaching days, that overtraining in the high end could indeed cause arrhythmia. It settled out when the athlete backed off for a while though, so it was easily dealt with.

And thanks for the feedback, gents; looks like we have a bunch of decently interested riders here. By the way, if anybody wants to use an older pair of Kangaroo panniers (8MM hooks, I'm sure), I've got a pair.

But the one question I haven't researched is, what's the fishing like, and are the griz a real problem?

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
If it comes down to having a support vehicle, and needing a driver, and my conditioning was still questionable, I could do that, and go for rides once camp is set up. There may be some griz around....so I'll be toting bear spray.
I can't travel to Montana without some fly rods! My feets will be wearing my Oboz Missoula Lows, since they seem custom made for "hike-a-bike" with flat, spiked pedals.

Alex MacDonald

A little logistics as FYI: driving from LederHosenLand to Kalispell can be done in a day, but it's a looooong day, and lots of it after we leave St. Regis goes right by Clark Fork, in addition to the St. Regis river itself....(must fish....must fish....). for you guys on the currently wet side, it's probably another 3 hours getting to here. So I suggest Wallace or Maybe St. Regis itself as a half-way point. There's a KOA at St. Regis, but the campground in Wallace, while right by City Limits Brew Pub, sucks. Come to think of it, if we decided to ride the Hiawatha, which we'll go right by, I know several great campsites right there, with stream options (Montana). We've been trying to get Mumbles & the girls to ride with us for several years.

Jim, re: heart rate monitors, make sure you get one that you can change the batteries on; some models won't allow it. From my ski coaching days,here's the formula. start with a heart rate of 220, minus your age. start at 65% of that number-that's the "LSD" base building phase. Takes at least a month. Once the base is established, you can increase, but you should be talking with the dr. And see if you can find a sports medicine guy. SG's right in this! the doc should have a handle on it as a cardiologist!

Next year I should have a Delorme Inreach, with EPIRB capability, so for emergencies in the boonies, we'd be covered. Tandy and I are going to go over the maps this weekend and see what the mileages are, and I'll be able to report back on Sunday eve or Monday. this looks like it could be a real gas!!

Salmo_g

what's the fishing like, and are the griz a real problem?
There are cutts in the NF Flathead, scattered, as in none here, none here, and then, Oh! Here's a bunch. Griz are generally not a problem; just don't take food into your tent. I carry bear spray in some parts of MT, but I expect you to bring back up like .454 Casul or something like that.

I can drive to Kalispel in one day, but I'm retired, and motels were invented for a reason.

Latest posts