Issues with Simms wading boots and warranty. Need opinions please.

MT_Flyfisher

I have an older pair of Simms boots, not sure of the model but they are either leather or a synthetic-like leather, and they shrink like the devil after I wear them and they dry out. There is no way I could ever get my feet back into them when they are dry, so I always had to wet them thoroughly before trying to put them back on, and even then they were a bugger to get them on. They still have some life left in them but I haven’t worn them recently for that very reason, and have since gotten a couple newer pair of their guide boots.

I’ve been buying Simms waders for almost as long as their company has existed (remember when they were down in Jackson Hole?) and have always felt that their warranty service was on again - off again.

I did take one set of waders back for service a few years ago, and the girl at the front desk offered me a selection of one of their hats for free. How can you beat that? Later, they charged me for the wader repair however, when I thought it should be fixed for free. Go figure!

bhudda

heffe'
E9CA2D40-3FFD-4563-89C5-4E832F9D49E6.jpeg 9ED40BB8-76AF-43AE-B088-D28C5928BC54.png They’re all clobbered with aquaseal, all leak btw. All waders suck if u fish hard, hard to get pin holes sitting in a boat:). If you fish outta boat and never tromp a forest, then your boots “last forever”. I saw a stamp inside that said no more repairs, so I called, it wasn’t a mistake I guess:) it’s only 100yrds more is my favorite line, I don’t take the easy route.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
My guide boots have been great...3 years old and probably 50 days on the water. I don’t baby them. The pull loop tore off on one side a couple months ago, but that seems like reasonable wear and tear. I was really pulling on it when it happened and obviously doesn’t affect performance. No issues with stitching or soles etc.

Those guide boots should probably last you another decade if you are only putting 15 days or so of use on them per year.
SF

Poff

WFF Supporter
I’ve used fishing and outdoor gear from lots of companies. Overall, I feel I’ve been treated fairly when I’ve had quality control or warranty concerns.

Simms has always treated me fairly. Give them a call again or send another email.

JesseC

You had a jacket for 17 years that started to delaminate and you sent it in for replacement? Man... how long is a jacket supposed to last before you legitimately wore it out?

Your simms guide boots are leather. If you took them off wet, let them sit under a heap of gear in the garage, and torturously let them dry out, they’re going to get deformed. I’m betting that you didn’t take very good care of them, and now you’re bummed out that you don’t get a brand new pair for free?

I think if you would have been more on top of it, rather than waiting a year until you got around to the warranty service, the outcome might have been different.

But, I also think that your expectations are unreasonable. You asked for opinions, so there’s mine.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I've never owned simms boots nor waders, but all I hear is how durable they are. That said, it seems their warranty tends to be shit compared to orvis/Redington/Patagonia. Not sure what I'd prefer...I've churned thru Redington waders faster than John Ross in a 40, but they keep replacing them over and over so I can't complain. Recently switched to patagucci boots, going on pair #3 in under 2 years....

Old406Kid

I have an older pair of Simms boots, not sure of the model but they are either leather or a synthetic-like leather, and they shrink like the devil after I wear them and they dry out. There is no way I could ever get my feet back into them when they are dry, so I always had to wet them thoroughly before trying to put them back on, and even then they were a bugger to get them on.

I had/still have a pair of Simms like that, the toes would curl up so bad that I called them my Li'l Abner boots.
images

One morning we were heading from Billings to the Bighorn. It was 10 degrees, more like zero with the wind chill, so we decided to suit up before we left town. Those boots hurt so bad that I had my nephew stop at a truck stop on the east end of town and I went in and soaked them in the toilet.

theTastyPlecopteran

My two cents would be to go with Korkers. Small local company with superior boots - and some of the finest customer service in the industry. I have had mine out for at least 40 days so far and the only thing with wear is the felt sole - which I can replace. I have not experienced any weird shrinking issues and they are by far more comfortable than my last pair of Simms. I do like Simms, and I have never had an issue with their customer service or warranty.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I've never owned simms boots nor waders, but all I hear is how durable they are. That said, it seems their warranty tends to be shit compared to orvis/Redington/Patagonia. Not sure what I'd prefer...I've churned thru Redington waders faster than John Ross in a 40, but they keep replacing them over and over so I can't complain. Recently switched to patagucci boots, going on pair #3 in under 2 years....

Their warranty has changed as I noted earlier. Folks expecting 17 year old gear be repaired or replaced for nuttin starts forcing their hand. My previous set of Simms developed a leak at about year 4 and when I sent them in they can back repaired and with a brand new set of booties/guards... no charge.

I just dropped off my current Headwaters (purchased from Anil over 10 years ago) for repair of a small leak in the calf area. Sue simply had me fill out a repair slip and made no mention of any charge - but their website states that after 1 year, repair costs $40-$60 depending in condition. So, I'll expect to pay something and be pleasantly surprised if not. They have the right equipment for finding leaks and even $60 is cheap since the waders are otherwise in very good shape. More important (to me) is that they stopped making the convertibles last year (dumb IMO), so squeezing out some more service life is worth it.

That was my first visit to their new facility - it's really a nice set-up.

@philos please let us know the outcome.

kmudgn

Here is the LL Bean Warranty:
Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory.
If what you had bought was from them they would have replaced, no questions asked. Their warranty is so good that sometimes I just buy new stuff because I would be embarrassed to ask for a warranty repair/replacement because the item was used hard and long and simply worn out, but if I had asked they would have replaced.
FYI, I don't work for Bean, but have been buying their stuff for over 50 years.

MT_Flyfisher

I had/still have a pair of Simms like that, the toes would curl up so bad that I called them my Li'l Abner boots.
images

One morning we were heading from Billings to the Bighorn. It was 10 degrees, more like zero with the wind chill, so we decided to suit up before we left town. Those boots hurt so bad that I had my nephew stop at a truck stop on the east end of town and I went in and soaked them in the toilet.

That’s funny! Now I understand why Simms says to make sure your boots are clean before returning them for warranty service.

Last edited:

philos

**Update**

First thanks Daniel for not reading all that shit-I called Simms before I wrote the post. Next time- for you- I'll include lots of pictures and keep it to one syllable words and a very short story.;)

To dld-I agree it is hard to believe the boots shrink but Christian (warranty dept manager) at Simms admitted this as the leather of the Guide boots does in fact shrink. Not all boots have leather on them and the Guide boot is not all leather.

When I called Christian back today I told him my idea of resolution now. Since he made it clear they could not or would not repair the boots and would not provide me a pair of new Guide boots, I asked him if he could send me a pair of factory seconds, discontinued boots or repairs that were not paid for that would be similar to the Guide boots. I explained to him I was not picky about appearance but needed something that was functional and I would take felt or vibram soul and had no problem with pre-owned boots.

He agreed to send me a pair of Headwater boots at no charge. He stated the boots were scuffed a bit but functional.
I thanked him and agreed to accept these boots. He stated he felt these Headwaters might actually provide a better fit given my very wide foot.

Given how this all started I will say I am happy to get this far. I wish I had the Guide backs in their original condition but honestly I am concerned a new pair might have the same fate as my old pair.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I am grateful.

DanielOcean

**Update**

First thanks Daniel for not reading all that shit-I called Simms before I wrote the post. Next time- for you- I'll include lots of pictures and keep it to one syllable words and a very short story.;)

To dld-I agree it is hard to believe the boots shrink but Christian (warranty dept manager) at Simms admitted this as the leather of the Guide boots does in fact shrink. Not all boots have leather on them and the Guide boot is not all leather.

When I called Christian back today I told him my idea of resolution now. Since he made it clear they could not or would not repair the boots and would not provide me a pair of new Guide boots, I asked him if he could send me a pair of factory seconds, discontinued boots or repairs that were not paid for that would be similar to the Guide boots. I explained to him I was not picky about appearance but needed something that was functional and I would take felt or vibram soul and had no problem with pre-owned boots.

He agreed to send me a pair of Headwater boots at no charge. He stated the boots were scuffed a bit but functional.
I thanked him and agreed to accept these boots. He stated he felt these Headwaters might actually provide a better fit given my very wide foot.

Given how this all started I will say I am happy to get this far. I wish I had the Guide backs in their original condition but honestly I am concerned a new pair might have the same fate as my old pair.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I am grateful.
I had spare time today at my desk so I read your shit. 1. I agree with @JesseC 's diagnosis on the issue. I think your bullshitting us and Simms, and when Simms saw your boots they clearly saw neglect,( you think they dont know whats up?) and told you to pack sand in a nice way by giving you some sort of a discount. You also disrespected the initial simms employee by asking for the supervisor thinking that you were going to get your way. Now the only reason why you got the deal you got was because you bitched enough and I am sure that Simms just wanted to be rid of you. You wanted opinions, this is mine.

Edit: I do not care how expensive something is, or how good of a reputation it has for durability. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SHIT!

Edit#2: I need to go fishing.

Edit#3: I need to catch fish when I do go fishing.

philos

Daniel--I agree with Edit 2-you need to go fishing and perhaps you need an adult beverage or two.

The reason I asked for a manager was because the rep I spoke to originally seemed to be too busy to talk to me and she seemed to not care at all. I called a total of twice after they received the boots-today being the second time.

As far as me bullshitting anyone-they have the boots and they can clearly see the sole of the boot has very little wear. I do take care of my stuff but I do not baby it. I used these boots very little but I did use them. My stuff gets used-it is not meant for a museum. You and Jesse must have a climate controlled environment to put your toys in-I do not but I do take care of all my stuff-not just the expensive stuff. I cannot afford not too.

I will own the mistake of not taking action sooner-I should not have waited as long as I did.

I had decided that whatever the outcome was today-I was out. By the way-Simms asked me to send them the boots when I called them initially. I paid for the shipping also.

The boots he is sending me are not ones he could sell retail. Look at the prices of the boot and do the math for what they would sell for if he did sell them. Chances are he would just destroy them but if he did sell them what do you think they would sell for in their condition? I would estimate about $60-$80. New ones are available for $120.00 at Hunter Banks Fly shop.

35% off the new Guide Boots would equate to $80.00 which to my mind is damn close to what these blemished Headwaters boots would sell for.

Now I recommend you and Jesse mix up some martinis and kick back and watch a few episodes of The Golden Girls. I'll look you up and let you take me fishing when I get out your way.

I do appreciate your response and I understand your take on this but feel as if I am in the right

DanielOcean

Daniel--I agree with Edit 2-you need to go fishing and perhaps you need an adult beverage or two.

The reason I asked for a manager was because the rep I spoke to originally seemed to be too busy to talk to me and she seemed to not care at all. I called a total of twice after they received the boots-today being the second time.

As far as me bullshitting anyone-they have the boots and they can clearly see the sole of the boot has very little wear. I do take care of my stuff but I do not baby it. I used these boots very little but I did use them. My stuff gets used-it is not meant for a museum. You and Jesse must have a climate controlled environment to put your toys in-I do not but I do take care of all my stuff-not just the expensive stuff. I cannot afford not too.

I will own the mistake of not taking action sooner-I should not have waited as long as I did.

I had decided that whatever the outcome was today-I was out. By the way-Simms asked me to send them the boots when I called them initially. I paid for the shipping also.

The boots he is sending me are not ones he could sell retail. Look at the prices of the boot and do the math for what they would sell for if he did sell them. Chances are he would just destroy them but if he did sell them what do you think they would sell for in their condition? I would estimate about $60-$80. New ones are available for $120.00 at Hunter Banks Fly shop.

35% off the new Guide Boots would equate to $80.00 which to my mind is damn close to what these blemished Headwaters boots would sell for.

Now I recommend you and Jesse mix up some martinis and kick back and watch a few episodes of The Golden Girls. I'll look you up and let you take me fishing when I get out your way.

I do appreciate your response and I understand your take on this but feel as if I am in the right

I will have beverages and goldengirls on DVR when you get your butt out here.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts