No grouse, but...

Roper

Idiot Savant
I did find some birds of another type...

With all the deer hunters and their huge travel trailers all over the local forest areas I went looking for something other than grouse (plus I'd hate to get shot).

Here's the funny and sad part, funny that I have a standard poodle, sad that she's 15 years old, deaf, and has spinal problems that make her stumble around some times. Needless to say her hunting days are over.

But I'm always up to a challenge so I decided to go hunt some quail...without a dog. ( I hear you all laughing )
But the terrain I was hunting was fairly open country with shrubs and sage (and lots of rocks).

All in all I'm rather happy with the outcome. There was only one bird that I couldn't find (small miracle). The coveys were large and picking one bird out proved to be the biggest challenge (and sometimes the smallest bird). But I kept at it and watched to see where they relocated and pursued them again and again. At the end of the day I had 6 birds in the bag (and lots of empty shells).

Some quick cleaning once back home and I have a nice stash of quail for dinners. Would I do it again? Yes, I plan on it. Do I wish I had a well trained dog? Kind of, I just wish mine wasn't coming to the end of her life.

IMG_2668.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg

Salmo_g

Good shooting and good fetching Roper!

I've never understood quail hunting. It looks like you get maybe a couple bites per bird. How many quail does it take to make a meal? Are they extra tasty compared to larger birds?

b_illymac

Member Active

I've never understood quail hunting. It looks like you get maybe a couple bites per bird. How many quail does it take to make a meal? Are they extra tasty compared to larger birds?
they taste amazing. great stir fry!

Well done, Roper.
We've had 20/25 quail in our back yard daily for most of the summer.
They'll get as close as 4/5' from us. Cute little buggers, especially when they're just hatchlings.

Roper

Idiot Savant

They are similar to grouse in flavor, albeit about half the size. I skin and clean them down to the breast and legs, butterfly them and pan fry. Two are plenty with some rice and veggies.

Salmo_g

Ah, breast and legs. I thought I'd heard or read long ago that you just get the breast meat from quail. If two make a meal for one person, then the payoff is pretty good.

I did find some birds of another type...

With all the deer hunters and their huge travel trailers all over the local forest areas I went looking for something other than grouse (plus I'd hate to get shot).

Here's the funny and sad part, funny that I have a standard poodle, sad that she's 15 years old, deaf, and has spinal problems that make her stumble around some times. Needless to say her hunting days are over.

But I'm always up to a challenge so I decided to go hunt some quail...without a dog. ( I hear you all laughing )
But the terrain I was hunting was fairly open country with shrubs and sage (and lots of rocks).

All in all I'm rather happy with the outcome. There was only one bird that I couldn't find (small miracle). The coveys were large and picking one bird out proved to be the biggest challenge (and sometimes the smallest bird). But I kept at it and watched to see where they relocated and pursued them again and again. At the end of the day I had 6 birds in the bag (and lots of empty shells).

Some quick cleaning once back home and I have a nice stash of quail for dinners. Would I do it again? Yes, I plan on it. Do I wish I had a well trained dog? Kind of, I just wish mine wasn't coming to the end of her life.

View attachment 152641 View attachment 152644 View attachment 152642 View attachment 152643
Nice photos, Roper. Especially that last still life. Well done!

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Stellar day Roper!

Love the shotgun.. twin to mine other than load/eject ports are on opposite sides.

Our pup is aging as well (15) Probably some more chuckles coming with pedigree. He's a hybrid, Pit / Chow cross. Gamey as hell.. has drug me (on lead) nearing 30' from trails multiple times, over to a Woodcock or Ruff. Rabbits are top of the list though.

MotoBoat

They are similar to grouse in flavor, albeit about half the size. I skin and clean them down to the breast and legs, butterfly them and pan fry. Two are plenty with some rice and veggies.
I can tell from your hunting technique (albeit solo) that this Quail hunt was not your first Row-day-o of flushing and relocating birds. I wonder if what a Quail eats affects meat taste. I have not hunted Quail in more than a hand full of years. But do recall Quail that I did find after shooting to taste strong, flavor was more like a Dove than a Pheasant or Grouse. Grouse I find to taste most like chicken. Pheasant has a stronger flavor (lots of blood in the meat, dark colored meat), but very edible. Quail is a equal jump in flavor from Pheasant, as Pheasant is from Grouse. But not as bad a Dove, which tastes like liver to me. Wrapping Dove in Bacon is supposed to improve flavor, I don't agree.

Interestingly, sage brush shot Quail really wreaked of Sage. While birds shot away from Sage brush did not. Maybe Sage shot birds are pre-basted and therefore a stronger taste?

Of course, taste buds place a roll in final taste interpretation. Plant seeds, worms, grubs, grasshoppers, that wild birds eat must affect meat flavor too.

6 birds is a good outing! My PB is 9 out of a possible WA State limit of 10. Also interesting is that you have bagged a equal number of each sex.

I bet when you returned home, and your 15 yo pup smelled what you had been up to, she said: "Ya, sure you found the dead ones. But I would have found those cripples too"!

Last edited:

MotoBoat

My 11yo pup has migrated to riding in the front seat to and from hunting, where it is warm. He is pretty happy with this migration. On our way home from hunting Pheasant, we both decided the scenery was good from the front seat.
IMG_20171014_100512.jpg IMG_20171014_100535.jpg

After hunting, pup all tuckered out. He followed me around the yard ( I was carrying Pheasants for a photo) for a bit. He then wondered off, retiring for the rest of the evening to one of his 3 dog beds.
IMG_20171014_131126.jpg

Dog vest was choked with a two pronged weed.

IMG_20171014_124622.jpg

Roper, good hunt my friend. Been a long time. I went chasing quail and chukar down in the Clockum in the snow and never saw a track. My setter worked his butt off and never acted birdy the whole time. Was still a good morning.

I heard reports that you moved up to the Okanogan. Nice country.

Latest posts