No grouse, but...

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
As a kid growing up in Yakima, I hunted those little rockets for years without a dog. It was always a productive hunt, exciting when the covey explodes without any warning. I’d walk through the neighborhood after school, carrying my 20 gauge, no one looked twice. Try that now!

As for aging hunting partners, Grits will be 13 next month, she’s been retired since we moved south. She gets excited when I bring the retrieving bumper out. I throw it a couple of times, She retrieves it, then she lays down to watch the neighborhood. Sleeps a lot more now, too. I’m dreading “that day”.

Good post, Roger.

Roper

Idiot Savant
Roper, good hunt my friend. Been a long time. I went chasing quail and chukar down in the Clockum in the snow and never saw a track. My setter worked his butt off and never acted birdy the whole time. Was still a good morning.

I heard reports that you moved up to the Okanogan. Nice country.
Yes Chic, it has been a while. Our place is east of Oroville by Mt. Hull. It’s not a full time residence, but now retired I spend a lot more time there. Are you still doing stock work? A friend has an Elsie that could use some new wood.

Roper

Idiot Savant
As a kid growing up in Yakima, I hunted those little rockets for years without a dog. It was always a productive hunt, exciting when the covey explodes without any warning. I’d walk through the neighborhood after school, carrying my 20 gauge, no one looked twice. Try that now!

As for aging hunting partners, Grits will be 13 next month, she’s been retired since we moved south. She gets excited when I bring the retrieving bumper out. I throw it a couple of times, She retrieves it, then she lays down to watch the neighborhood. Sleeps a lot more now, too. I’m dreading “that day”.

Good post, Roger.
Hey Karl, good to hear from you. I’m still filling those little red AA’s with lead. Next batch will have some of Sasha’s ashes in them, she passed on the 21st. Damn, I miss her real bad...

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
I am so sorry to hear that Sasha passed. You two terrorized the birds, shared bone tiring hunts and sleep the good sleep of worn out hunters. My condolences on your loss.

Glad those hulls are getting used! Which powder are you using? I liked Universal Clays but I can’t find any of it now.

A bigger issue down here, there is very little public land and none of it is any good for birds. And all of the old folks down here in my area play that damned golf game! Oh, well, the wife goes out and pulls targets for me now.

I’m trying to put together a hunt in Argentina but going single means about 50% more in costs. I’ll just keep looking, I guess.

MotoBoat

Yes Chic, it has been a while. Our place is east of Oroville by Mt. Hull. It’s not a full time residence, but now retired I spend a lot more time there. Are you still doing stock work? A friend has an Elsie that could use some new wood.
Two familiars in your post Roper.

1) I thought Chick's name sounded familiar. Several years ago I contacted him via another forum, concerning a best method for removing a spot of oil, soaked into a gun stock, prior to refinishing with several coats of hand rubbed Tongue Oil.

2) Back in the mid to late 70's a high school buddy and I took a road trip in my 1968 GTO with factory Ram Air. This trip began at a gas station fill up in Seattle with a end destination to visit a friends grandpa that lived on a ranch outside of Oroville. I recall bringing shotguns with fixed "full" chokes. Stopping for gas more than once, each time knowing all our money, including change was dedicated for Leaded High Octane! Walking the rolling hills of knee high, wild growing grass having a golden color that appeared after passing through perimeter forests of Doug Fir or Ponderosa Pine? I recall my fixed gun choke was to dense for our flying quarry, and Grandpa vocalizing his disapproval for our meat torn addition to that nights main dish.

Our dude only, round trip road trip began and ended during the same day. Is today, a memory not forgotten, often recalled for its entire outdoor experience. At $.75 a gallon, and all the money we had, we ended the trip by rolling into the driveway back home on fumes. Tired, hungry, teenagers talking of repeating that trip again, sometime before gramps sadly takes a dirt nap. We never did return. Although, 40 years later I imagine the country looks unchanged today, and I still have that faithful 1956 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster that made that trip and many more road trips before I became owner of it in 1972.

Roper

Idiot Savant
MB, you could send that full choke barrel to Briley and have thin wall chokes installed.

My crazy one day trips were usually done on two wheels, like Everett to Winthrop, lunch at Three Finger Jacks for lunch and back home...butt sore but happy.

MotoBoat

MB, you could send that full choke barrel to Briley and have thin wall chokes installed.

My crazy one day trips were usually done on two wheels, like Everett to Winthrop, lunch at Three Finger Jacks for lunch and back home...butt sore but happy.
Thanks for that option Roper. Shooting that wingmaster slowed way down when in '82 my then girlfriend, now wife, purchased a Rem 1100 12 gauge in 3" mag with 30" barrel for my B-day. That gun also came with a fixed full choke barrel.

Once steel shot was required on WDFW release site's. I promptly had a Gunsmith ream the barrel from full to Modified choke to eliminate possible barrel damage caused from shooting steel shot.

Later, I purchased a 26" barrel chambered for 2 3/4" shells, having a fixed Improved Cylinder choke for Quail. Magnum barrel has one gas ejection port best used for Mini Magnum shells which are 2 3/4" shells loaded with 3 3/4 oz of lead and 3 3/4 drams of powder and up to 3" shells having 4 drams of powder (Pheasant, duck, Goose loads). A 2 3/4" barrel has two gas ports and will eject light loads used for trap and Quail hunting. This barrel will eject 2 3/4" shells of 2 1/2 drams of powder, having less than a 3oz pellet payload.

"Three finger Jack"......on the corner of Riverside Ave and Bridge ST ....has good food?

How long ago was it that you did that ride?

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant
Thanks for that option Roper. Shooting that wingmaster slowed way down when in '82 my then girlfriend, now wife, purchased a Rem 1100 12 gauge in 3" mag with 30" barrel for my B-day. That gun also came with a fixed full choke barrel.

Once steel shot was required on WDFW release site's. I promptly had a Gunsmith ream the barrel from full to Modified choke to eliminate possible barrel damage caused from shooting steel shot.

Later, I purchased a 26" barrel chambered for 2 3/4" shells, having a fixed Improved Cylinder choke for Quail. Magnum barrel has one gas ejection port best used for Mini Magnum shells which are 2 3/4" shells loaded with 3 3/4 oz of lead and 3 3/4 drams of powder and up to 3" shells having 4 drams of powder (Pheasant, duck, Goose loads). A 2 3/4" barrel has two gas ports and will eject light loads used for trap and Quail hunting. This barrel will eject 2 3/4" shells of 2 1/2 drams of powder, having less than a 3oz pellet payload.

"Three finger Jack"......on the corner of Riverside Ave and Bridge ST ....has good food?

How long ago was it that you did that ride?
I think your numbers might be off, I know of no load for 12ga over 1 3/8 oz. for a 2.75 shell...

I did that ride back in the early 90’s on a K75 Beemer, food at the tavern is typical pub food...the beer is cold.

MotoBoat

Roper, I should have refreshed by looking at a couple boxes of shells. Mini mag is 2 3/4" 3 3/4 drams powder 1 1/4oz = 1330fps.

Lightest Trap load I have shot in 26" barrel chambered for 2 3/4" shells only, is a Remington Gun Club Target load: 2 3/4" 12 gauge 1 1/8oz, box does not indicate drams = 1145fps.

Remington Nitro Magnum offers a 2 3/4" with a shoulder whopping Max dram 1 1/2oz shot = 1260fps

What load are you using for Quail and Grouse? What is your experience using light steel loads?
IMG_20171107_095820.jpg IMG_20171107_095940.jpg

Roper

Idiot Savant
MB, I’m more of a sub-gauge guy. For quail and grouse I use Federal game loads in 16 and 20. The 20 is 7/8oz. of #7 1/2 at 1210fps. The 16 is a full ounce at 1165fps. My other favorite is 28ga with 3/4oz stepping out at 1300fps, Winchester AAHS.

I don’t shoot steel at all, instead I shoot bismuth or NiceShot. Those I load myself.

Roper, no more stock work unless it is on my own guns and certainly no work on an Elsie. Big problem with those is that the labor is a lot more costly than the value of the gun. I Sometimes though that doesn't matter all that much. I do have one in my "shop" in pieces with a hunter one trigger and I have way too much wood. Fishing is occupying more of my time now but still shooting a lot of skeet. I have become somewhat of a woos though and we retreat to AZ in the winter, this will be our sixth year.

Latest posts