Float Fishing (Gear)

Bryce Levin

This question pertains to gear fishing with floats. If you are offended that this is on a fly forum or don't like it, please stop reading now and check out another thread :)

What kind of floats are you guys using? Weight, clear float vs solid? I know that the clear floats are good for low/clear water. Are you using them all the time?

Are you matching your float weight to your jig/bead weight?

Lines - I have a body that swears by braid and it isn't too bad. It drags a little and floats fairly well but is low viz. Anyone using hi-viz floating line? Suggestions?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Peyton00

Clear floats. 25lb Braid line. I use inline weight that's same weight as suggested for float. I also use a big split shot 10" above jig etc. I want my lure straight down and in the zone asap.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I'm a braid fan because it floats and is easy to mend.

As far as floats go, I like a brand made in Canada called DNE. Ted's Sports center sells them. Just not a fan of floats with plastic stems, as braid generally does them in.

I'm also a fan on inline weights and adding split shot to my leader as needed as Peyton mentioned. I generally fish 1/8 oz jigs but use some 1/4 oz.
SF

DanielOcean

01978bad-d051-449d-a08c-be1fb3223e37_1.bca3079a02efb70ae09d9743e0ff09d5.jpeg

upload_2017-10-19_11-35-41.jpeg

If you are using a 3/8 float, use a 3/8 inline sinker/weight.

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
I use hi vis braid (powerpro for the last 15 years I can't find a reason to change) knotted to 6 feet of 20# maxima. I use beau mac floats, I quit using clear drifts a few years back. I also use inline lead the same size as the bobber but I use hareline tungsten putty above a swivel generally halfway between inline lead and jig/bead/worm/yarn etc. actual rigging, amount of putty and length of leader vary depending on presentation and water. I'm no expert but it's been fun playing around.

Bryce Levin

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very helpful!

Does anyone cut and punch their own lead with leadmasters for an inline weight? Similar way to how you could add weight to a corky rig on a swivel?

veilside180sx

For clear floats...I prefer the Beau Mac version to the Clear Drift, and they are typically more cost effective.

For smaller cylindrical floats I like West Coast or Hawken's Aero float. The Beau Mac's that Daniel Ocean posted are great when you need to carry more weight or want a little more drag. Those floats are considerably underrated though...so buy one size smaller than your the listed weight to match what you are fishing IMO.

I'm a big fan of Dave's Tangle Free weights if it's going to be contacting bottom at all...they snag less than slinkies do even.

For regular float weights I make my own from egg weights. I run a wire through it and twist a swivel on both ends. It's a ton stronger than the commercial version that just mold the lead around the swivels.

Stonefish

Bruce,
You can certainly add weight below your float that way.
I like the inline weights because they have a swivel on each end, which helps with line twist.

One other thing, I'm a big fan of the small rubber bobber stops.
Put one above and blow your float beads. Not likely, but if you snap your weight off they save your float from coming off as well.
SF

Last edited:

Bryce Levin

Bruce,
You can certainly add weight below your float that way.
I like the inline weights because they have a swivel on each end, which helps with line twist.

One other thing, I'm a big fan of the small rubber bobber stops.
Put one above and blow your float beads. Not likely, but if you snap your weight off they save your float from coming off as well.
SF

Any bobber stops in particular that you prefer?

Bryce Levin

I use hi vis braid (powerpro for the last 15 years I can't find a reason to change) knotted to 6 feet of 20# maxima. I use beau mac floats, I quit using clear drifts a few years back. I also use inline lead the same size as the bobber but I use hareline tungsten putty above a swivel generally halfway between inline lead and jig/bead/worm/yarn etc. actual rigging, amount of putty and length of leader vary depending on presentation and water. I'm no expert but it's been fun playing around.

Thanks for the info. I think you may have an idea for what river I am gearing up for this winter.

Stonefish

Any bobber stops in particular that you prefer?

The Beau Mac ones seem to work just fine.
They come in different sizes based on your main line.
Remember 30 lb braid is equivalent to 8 lb mono, so buy the ones rated for 4-8 lb test.
You want them to be tight fitting on your braid.
SF

Last edited:

Creatch'r

Unhinged Member
I run two stops, both the rubber ones and the nail knotted nylon ones to prevent slippage.... both made by beau mac. Any stop you try to use on braid isn't going to last long since the braid is so abrasive which is one of several reasons why I run the shot of maxima off the end of the braid.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts