Asquith??

Hi All,

Anyone out there have time on the water with the Asquith 12'9" 6wt stick? Thoughts?? This rod would be used primarily as a larger river stick for the Deschutes or Clearwater, dry line. Reading the reviews, it sounds light in hand and very responsive with the ability to fire laser beams. Thinking it would be great in the wind.

Would love to hear what people think and also--how does it compare to the NRX?

Cheers,
BRF

Big water stick? A <13' 6wt would be a nice all around stick on the Deschutes and "OK" for A-run fish on the CW but not a good choice for B-run fish. Both the Deschutes and CW will accommodate shorter rods and casts, especially the Deschutes, but if you are truly looking to fish "big water" you might look for something in the 14' or longer range. There is a reason so many of the regulars/locals on the Clearwater use 15'-17' rods.

I've not had the opportunity to cast an Asquith but I believe the rod you are looking at was mentioned in a recent post on speypages.

Big water stick? A <13' 6wt would be a nice all around stick on the Deschutes and "OK" for A-run fish on the CW but not a good choice for B-run fish. Both the Deschutes and CW will accommodate shorter rods and casts, especially the Deschutes, but if you are truly looking to fish "big water" you might look for something in the 14' or longer range. There is a reason so many of the regulars/locals on the Clearwater use 15'-17' rods.

I've not had the opportunity to cast an Asquith but I believe the rod you are looking at was mentioned in a recent post on speypages.
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Ignore the part about "larger water", if that helps. I do not wish to wield a 15-17' rod...

Cheers,
BRF

tridentfly

I have cast it, but not extensively. It's about "half a line size" lighter, so, where I liked a 600gr Scandi on the Asquith, I felt like something in the 550 range would do better on the X (I have a bunch of Gaelforce heads and I felt it was in between the 523 and 600). It's also a faster rod overall.

Anil

As an alternative point of view, my opinion of these rods is completely different. I've owned and fished Loomis spey rods for quite some time. The NRX series has a much lighter (grain window) than advertised. The 13' 8/9 loves a 510 skagit head. Much more of a 7 than an 8/9 wt. The Asquith series has proven to be dead on for us. I've spent multiple days fishing the Asquith spey rods and this is what I've found to ideal for me:
ASQ 6129 - Scandi 390 gr. Skagit 420 gr.
ASQ 7130 - Scandi 480 gr. Skagit 510 gr.

If anything, the Sage X series, like most of the recent Sage spey rods, have needed consistently more grain weight than normal for the designated rod size.
For some perspective, in my circle, I fall near the middle of the grain window debates. Plenty of my friends fish lighter heads than I do, while some prefer a heavier load.

Chawhee

As an alternative point of view, my opinion of these rods is completely different. I've owned and fished Loomis spey rods for quite some time. The NRX series has a much lighter (grain window) than advertised. The 13' 8/9 loves a 510 skagit head. Much more of a 7 than an 8/9 wt. The Asquith series has proven to be dead on for us. I've spent multiple days fishing the Asquith spey rods and this is what I've found to ideal for me:
ASQ 6129 - Scandi 390 gr. Skagit 420 gr.
ASQ 7130 - Scandi 480 gr. Skagit 510 gr.

If anything, the Sage X series, like most of the recent Sage spey rods, have needed consistently more grain weight than normal for the designated rod size.
For some perspective, in my circle, I fall near the middle of the grain window debates. Plenty of my friends fish lighter heads than I do, while some prefer a heavier load.
True story about nrx grain weights. As for the asquith, 15 footer or nothing at all.