Dennis Stone Rods

I have been thinking about getting a Dennis Stone bamboo fly rod or a blank. His web site looks like it is on longer active. Is he no longer making rods or blanks?

para_adams

Interesting. I'd try to send him an email on the address that comes up on the one screen that works. He may be having website or computer problems. My "graduation present" rod for my son was built on his 8' granger 8040 blank which turned out beautifully.

I ordered his 8 Foot Cascade 5wt 3/2 rod with flamed bamboo, antique finish, down locking “screw type” reel seat and brown or red wraps.
As I understand it, his Cascade taper is his own taper with a medium fast action. Have you ever worked with him? He built me a new tip
for an old English "salmon" rod that was given to me. What reel do you think would be a good match? I am thinking of something with
traditional styling.

Now starts the looooong wait. Don't you just hate that part?

Hi Jerry,
No I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Dennis, but heard good things about his blanks/rods. What's the eta for your rod? I don't have to wait as I just rebuild rods and have purchased a few blanks. Only thing I don't like waiting for is the Threadmaster to dry this time of year!

para_adams

I ordered his 8 Foot Cascade 5wt 3/2 rod with flamed bamboo, antique finish, down locking “screw type” reel seat and brown or red wraps.
As I understand it, his Cascade taper is his own taper with a medium fast action. Have you ever worked with him? He built me a new tip
for an old English "salmon" rod that was given to me. What reel do you think would be a good match? I am thinking of something with
traditional styling.

Now starts the looooong wait. Don't you just hate that part?
I've worked with Dennis at least 4-5 times. I appreciate his willingness to do unusual odds and ends work like making an extra tip for an existing rod that I bought missing one tip, scarfing a tip on an old rod that came to be beat up, building a blank from scratch (two rods) for me to finish. Good guy and a great value.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
Dennis is a good guy. I've had him do repairs on several rods of mine. He does exceptional scarf work and his price is always fair.
@Bonsai - look for a nice old Young reel with a red agate line guide for a touch of class without breaking the bank for that new rod.

Latest posts