Any place to purchase rod building materials in the Seattle area?

TheAngler

I got my hands on a fly rod blank (viz., Rainshadow ETEF905-4) and I am going to give rod building a shot. Given this is my first attempt, I would like to see the components (in person) before purchasing.

Does anybody know if there is a shop in the Seattle area that carries fly rod components (e.g., snake guides, cork, reel seat, epoxy, and thread)?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Are there any specific components you suggest for the blank?
For snake guides...my preference is Snake brand if running double foots (Hopkins and Holloway is good as well). For single foot I normally use Angler's Workshop's house brand.

Reel seats can be as exotic or inexpensive as your desires can be. I really like the Alps RA7 for a mid-tier but very functional seat, and look great with the grey carbon insert. (limited insert options though)

The REC or Lemke LC-1 seats are great as well if you want to spend a little more and find one that fits what you want for your build. (more insert options with these 2)

I dye, stabilize, and turn my own wood inserts...so it's a little more difficult than just picking out the style, color, and wood grain that you like.

Thread colors can vary a lot, but I tend to wrap these with a base thread that matches the paint and then add a brighter trim color for distinction.

Snake Brand are great guides but are very pricey, and you won't notice the difference between a Snake Brand, Batson or PacBay once it's on the blank. Sage uses Batson snakes on their rods. I would stay away from Hopkin and Holloways. Their quality has gone downhill when they moved their production to China. For your stripper, I would recommend either a Fuji LNAG or an American Tackle quad foot. The only items I would want to have a look at are the cork, thread colors and the reel seat (maybe the tip top for a good fit). Have fun.
Tight lines,
Keith

Actually the Snake Brand universal guides are worth it especially on smaller diameter blanks.
The rounded foot means no filing which saves a ton of time and fiddly effort.

Latest posts