Snoqualmie winter Steelhead run this year?

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I think he is refering to the hatchery plant returns. Not what the regs say. It is a lirrle hard to predict what the sno.return will be like with the ocean conditions being so bad the last year. Wish i could help more. I am also courious on what they expect

Smalma

The first hatchery winter steelhead for release in the Puget Sound authorized under WDFW's new permit were planted in the spring of 2016. You can expect that the 2-salt fish from those nearly 74,000 smolts to return this winter.

Unlike the Stillaguamish basin where 130,000 smolts were released in 2016 it looks like the Snoqualmie with a "normal" season.

Curt

wetline dave

A very optimistic number of returns is probably around 700 fish. Maybe if the work done on the bottom end of the Snohomish helped outbound smolt the number of returns may be higher. Time will tell.

The Snoqualmie closes on the 31st of January so fishing for wild fish is pretty much a moot point.

Dave

Elliott5400

I'm curious on hatchery snoqualmie steelhead also. It's a close drive for me so that's an attraction point. I'm after my first ever steelhead this winter.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
A very optimistic number of returns is probably around 700 fish. Maybe if the work done on the bottom end of the Snohomish helped outbound smolt the number of returns may be higher. Time will tell.

The Snoqualmie closes on the 31st of January so fishing for wild fish is pretty much a moot point.

Dave
Other than the hypocrisy, most likely the case.

wetline dave

Elliott, if you are serious about catching a winter run fish I strongly suggest fishing the Sky which has far more hatchery fish.

FSA just what is the hypocrisy you are eluding too. The wild winter fish don't start showing up in any numbers until about mid February. The Snoqualmie has closed the end of January for a long time to protect the native steelhead.

Dave

Elliott5400

Elliott, if you are serious about catching a winter run fish I strongly suggest fishing the Sky which has far more hatchery fish.

FSA just what is the hypocrisy you are eluding too. The wild winter fish don't start showing up in any numbers until about mid February. The Snoqualmie has closed the end of January for a long time to protect the native steelhead.

Dave
Are there decent spots for some seclusion or is it combat fishing?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Sounds good to me! Just when I think I'm going to catch up on sleep this winter
Winter steelhead are one fish I never lose sleep over.
Putting the boat in late or getting started later in the day is no big deal, at least to me.
I let the guides race each other down the river for first water.
Starting later can be an advantage as water and air temps warm up during the day.
My biggest steelhead came after lunch and a couple of beers before I started fishing.
SF

Derek Young

Down By The Riverside
Open at Plum’s towards Tokal until mid-February for “trout” or did that change for ‘17-18?

Dave

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info