Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Artists Forum

10K views 144 replies 20 participants last post by  Skip Enge 
#1 ·
I know many in this group create visual art...I'd like to see it ...Here is a seasonal one...the seasons affect what I do as a watercolorist often..."Lunaria"(aka money plant or silver dollar
Brown Branch Twig Wood Rectangle
)

See less See more
#8 ·
#7 ·
That's okay I have never balanced a balance sheet...My career was creative...I was left alone to create magic and left alone because few could keep up let alone understand my concepts unless i drew em...Ha!...but I think of the art thing...as another side of the scale...The dichotomy of visual learners and auditory...science majors and English majors...or singers and drummers...we all do a different do.

#13 ·
an abbreviated pictorial story I wrote a coupleof Christmas' ago

Attachments

#15 ·
the whole thing was or rather is 40 pages...I have the little 5x7" drawings ...which i need to scan at a higher resolution...thinking of printing another press run...this time with much better output...the last and first printing was like $6 each my cost...cheap...

#22 ·
I know one person who makes a living with art...and that is over 40 years rubbinbg elbows...But that person will reproduce and do damn near anything for a sale...Personally I can't stomach that kind of thing...I decided a lonfg time ago it was just something i did for me and i would share as much as I coulod along the way I have sold hundreds of works starting in HS...

#23 ·
But it is amazing how difficult and exhausting promoting yourself can be...and making a living and supporting with creative efforts and keeping your creative conscience in tact through the process

#24 ·
The Soft Machine

Blood flows
Lubricating
Cylinder joints
A spark and
Finger point
Joint tarsal
Wheel touch feel
Rigid or pliable
Fueled calorie
Capable potential
Breathe and exhaust
Energy transformed
But never lost
Analogy
Complexity
Similarly convened
Conceptualized
Presenting
The soft machine

#26 ·
I have been creating themed painting shows for a lot of years. I have a new concept based on the lunar and solar events in the last year... I will call it "One Glib Eye"...the thought came to me during the smoky summer we had because of the terrible forest fires in our region. The sun was often tainted by smoke filling our sky. I often write poetry in association with paintings...I might call it a focusing mechanism for work to come.

One Gib Eye

Darkness fades
Into dawn
Brushed light
Eyes adjust
From the depth
Of night
And dawn
On the horizon
Mauve light
Ascending
Reveals a lid
Opening in haze
At earths edge
An iris indistinct
Fogged,
Turning crimson
The dragon awakes
From Deep slumber
Opening one glib eye
Gazes across the land
Mercurial and righteous
As if it understands
Everything.

#28 ·
It's sad when you see some art shows that are full of what looks like "conveyer belt art". Like from some artist factory. At least that's what my untrained eye sees sometimes.

I like Skip's work. No cookie cutter, and I see depth, and vision.
Thank you ...I have always fought to not go there...it would be easy to...I could paint fish all day every day...I want to get better vision...try concepts styles and techniques keeping it me and always working and learning with every work or body of work...it's personal..a personal journey...I did a self portrait that I tried to convey this with ...I called it "Risk"
Forehead Nose Glasses Cheek Chin

#30 ·
I realize I am using this thread as a sort of shrine to what I do and have done since I was a kid...a long time...I have sold a lot of work since 1974 the year of my first solo show. I don't know how many or where all of them are today...but I do not have representation any more...I do my own PT Barnum schtick...that did not come easy for me. I always paid some gallery someone %40 to %50 to do the dirty work. So if it is off putting...no apologies...it is what i have to do to get it out there ...Thanks for the acknowledgements and support!

#33 ·
went through a ton of old slides and digitized them...some were 40 years old...old paintings...sometimes you have a plan and it doesn't quite work...I made this one up...I chose to paint loosely and not be so realistic about it cuz I didn't think I wanted to fuss too much...ended up giving it to a friend ...jamma...he has a little gallery of stuff I painted...Hell one is from HS circa 1969... Ha!
The goofy one is called "Competition" the other "The Magic Wand"
Water Plant Organism Picture frame Art
Picture frame Water Plant Rectangle Nature

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.