Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Artists Forum

10K views 144 replies 20 participants last post by  Skip Enge 
#1 ·
I know many in this group create visual art...I'd like to see it ...Here is a seasonal one...the seasons affect what I do as a watercolorist often..."Lunaria"(aka money plant or silver dollar
Brown Branch Twig Wood Rectangle
)

See less See more
#38 ·
I recently scanned about a thousand old slides...took a few weeks and found some old work...this painting from around 1997
called "The Magic Wand"...It was shown at Sun River Lodge back then...all fly fishing related paintings...sold NADA!
so it was gifted as a wedding present to a fly fishing friend who introduced me and jamma to "Ludicrous Lake"...
Water Nature Natural landscape Paint Plant
Water Picture frame Plant Rectangle Leaf

#43 ·
I have a large show coming up the month of April the 3rd through the 30th at the Stenson,WA Public Library artists opening April 6th 6 PM to 8:30 PM...and a FB page...the show will have about 40 works...called "themes"...and no there are no fly fishing themed paintings...those are long gone. I just have never felt like being typecast as an artist...i am a moving target...here is a self portrait from last summer at a favorite alpine lake near mt Adams...I mix it up
Forehead Glasses Sky Eye Beard

#48 ·
Well i finally had a reasonable means of saving slides from decades of painting and some fun stuff... here is one from 1987 called "On Silent Wings" old film and lighting conditions ...I should have used a different film...I forget what it was called tungsten something...I used to use a color corrected film for indoor florescent lighting...
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood

#62 ·
Well i finally had a reasonable means of saving slides from decades of painting and some fun stuff... here is one from 1987 called "On Silent Wings" old film and lighting conditions ...I should have used a different film...I forget what it was called tungsten something...I used to use a color corrected film for indoor florescent lighting... View attachment 163989
Skip this is my favorite of everything you have posted, I really like it

#49 ·
Thanks all...I do whore my art...I used to have galleries rep me...but i got to the point where the 50% commission they took did not add up to the promotional stuff given in return...so now I promote myself, write press releases and create flyers or posters and hand distribute them around to places i frequent...I don't sell as many but i do avail myself of FB and have a page of paintings at Skip Enge Watercolors...As a result I have arranged via private messaging sales and shipping or delivery of work that clients want. I know of no one that makes a great living at art anymore. I keep myself in supplies is about all. I do think often about the words of a great teacher in college aboout what he thought i should do. He told me to take over where he left off.

#51 ·
I used to paint on stretched canvas, acrylic oil and mixed media, found another slide from 1973...I called it "Nature reclaiming her Own"...My brother had it later when he lived in South lake tahoe...bumming around, torn up motorcycle in his living room ...that sort of thing...he said it got stolen...Well the dummy never locked his place up...prolly left the ding door open...or was wasted somewhere fishing...that was his story...I painted weird sheet back then...some were huge...canvases 8-10' in width...
Textile Window Organism Rectangle Art

#52 ·
Richard my musician partner in crime...is working on a tune based on this poem...

We have about 15 songs...some do not suck... ;)

Shadows

The bright day
Expires, gasping
The sun sets
At skies edge
Leaning gently
Kissing earths brow
Phantoms stretch
Across shoulders
Touching finality
With gestural grace
Shadows fade
Into ink black
Air brushed silence
Shadows fade
Toward night dense
Dome of solitude
Sheltering me.

#53 ·
writing again...

Penumbra

There is an edge
A space between
Light and dark
A feathery zone
Between distinct
And obscure
How that translates
To life and thought
Truth, half truths
Or falsehoods
In disguise
How can it be known
What is real, phantom
Or nuanced veil
In nature
Wet edges
Of a lake or river
The surf
Continually incessant
As it washes
With the tide
Dark, wet, patient
A stain , a penumbra
Evidence of occurrence
The heart felt and seen
In the distance between
Love and hate
That thin line
Like a puff of wind
Silent stillness
placating the void
And place between
Bookends in opposition
There is a breath
And a voice
A pause of consideration
A penumbral transition
A pause for thought
Between light and dark
The light is on
Then turned off
Realization
between fading space
In a millisecond
Momentary, anxious
Waiting…
In the half-light
Diffused and uncertain
Now the clouds
Are dark
And the suns light
Peeks through clouds
Creating a space
And interference
Where we live
That incremental
Location and penumbra
Most of us reside there
In that undefined locale
The waiting place
We wrestle with doubt
Defined by it
The penumbral
Enormity of life.

#57 ·
Okay I general paint things views and conceptualized ideas, not often portraits. I have done commissions and created gifts of portraits. I really never understood painting portraits of people you don't know like Hollywood folks or stuff like that...I mean if they don't sit for you ...you need a visual source like a photo shot by a copy written photographers work...so it's plagiarism. Photographers are artists too and their work deserves protection...That said I do an occasional portrait, self and otherwise. Here are a couple of my youngest daughter that i gave to her. And one I did in the 70's of my grandmother, circa 1974
Water Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Bedrock Grass
Flash photography People in nature Wood Luggage and bags Street fashion
Rectangle Art Font Brick Symmetry

#58 ·
Nobody looks here much but WTH...a fly fishing site and i don't post fly fishing reports...I do a lot of other things that i choose to share...life is short...anyway just finished this one today the third of a new series to be framed and shown later in the year...No title yet
Cloud Sky Purple Nature Paint

#59 ·
Took my large show down yesterday and stored it way...47 paintings...I did sell 8 during the shows run.
Have finished 4 for the beginning of a next themed group of paintings...focussing on the solar and lunar events last year and of course the fire season and how if played havoc in the sky around here what with the Gorge fire and elsewhere...
Sky Cloud Paint Natural landscape Branch
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Paint
Sky Branch Rectangle Natural landscape Twig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.