Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Artists Forum

10K views 144 replies 20 participants last post by  Skip Enge 
#1 ·
I know many in this group create visual art...I'd like to see it ...Here is a seasonal one...the seasons affect what I do as a watercolorist often..."Lunaria"(aka money plant or silver dollar
Brown Branch Twig Wood Rectangle
)

See less See more
#99 ·
Skip, how big are the pieces? Those aren't plein air, are they?
some paintings are plein air here most are not...nice weather I go paint outside... most of my paintings are a half a full sheet of WC paper...painting edge is masked to 13.5" X 20.5" , framed 22" X 28.75"... I can mill and cut 20 frames worth at a time that size,,,tone and finish the frames...it's a marathon...sizing equals half a full sheet of rather expensive paper and the full sheets of glass require just 2 cuts for two pieces of glass...optimal use of material and time...took me a while to optimize the process...and do all myself...I can't afford framing anymore by a commercial gallery.

#100 ·
Gyrfalcon2015...I have never stopped creating...it's a compulsion I have...continuing to try to state my voice...eccentric yeah,but I really don't consider what I am doing anything but a life long adventure...something a head Art prof told me 45 years ago that stuck...he is gone now , and I loved him as a mentor...

#103 ·
Gyrfalcon2015...I have never stopped creating...it's a compulsion I have...continuing to try to state my voice...eccentric yeah,but I really don't consider what I am doing anything but a life long adventure...r...
If we are philosophically talking about creative processes, I would argue most of mine come from a state of mild mania that is compulsive, like what you quote right there....

#106 ·
They take a hell of a lot of planning and time...so i paint a lot and shotgun to increase the odds of touching someone's sensibilities enough so that they might actually by one...Last year was the best sales year in a decade. I think i sold 15? The panoramas were listed at $1000...ended up sell some for around $600...the negotiation part of artists sales often falls on a gallery owner... And they get 40-50 per cent...So I take the WTF attitude today these past 10 or 12 years...paint what i want and see what happens... Finding my own venues is a chore of luck and timing. So many local and national venues now charge participation fees... If not local and accepted , I have to crate and ship wherever...I don't do that. But if someone wants to buy one I will crate and ship for a price I can live with. This opinion has come after playing the game for 45 years... It takes a while to learn shit. I'd rather dance with myself.

#112 ·
started this one at the park Thurs night. My favorite client has dibs on it and it's not even done. He owns about 20 of my paintings. In his Law firm office and has homes to fill up... there might just be more money in my future. Last year was my best sales year in decades...Now having retired it is going to truly count.
Blue Paint Azure Rectangle Natural landscape

#114 ·
I am going out to paint... not fish...not garden eff that today...do the most pleasant thing I can do a week after burning the bridge of employment...a celebration of me...Take care all, I will most certainly bore you tomorrow...with my coffee 90 wt next to my keyboard not funny phone...

#118 ·
Thanks Skip! Thought i better do a building because she used to be a technical drawer of houses! I don't remember much from Art class in early school, just that a teacher said shadow will put you above the rest & if you do a portrat put the eyes almost in the middle of the head, not in the top quarter! And something about animals, but i can't remember! Might try a painting oneday? I told her that the painting you done with the tree, maybe it was from your fishing / camping trip last year blew me away! Honestly thought it was a picture & leaves from a birch tree could not be painted like that!

#124 ·
I have only done 5 paintings since the first of the year. Of the two I have so;s a couple...the remaining I decided to take to my sevice bureau and get them scanned... they are in jpg and tiff. formats...600 ppi and about 16,000 pixels wide...it is hard for me to use a point and shoot to convey any subtlety...they are agout $20 each to scan...
Water resources Water Plant Plant community Ecoregion
Brown Wood Rectangle Trunk Font
Water Sky Art paint Paint Natural landscape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.