Proposed Asphalt Plant along Cedar River

SeattleFarq

Should be OlympiaFarq now...
Lakeside Industries has applied to build an asphalt plant at 18825 SE Renton-Maple Valley Road. If you fish the Cedar a lot, you'll know the site - it's the lot directly across the street from the Cedar Grove Natural Area with large piles of mulch and other materials. Public information is relatively hard to come by unfortunately. The public comment period recently closed, but the project manager reopened it after some residents expressed concern. You can review the Notice of Application here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/~/media/d...DE17-0069_MapleValleyAsphaltNOApdf.ashx?la=en

Public comments can be sent to the following address by November 24th:
King County Department of Permitting and Environmental Review
35030 SE Douglas Street, Suite 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065
Attn: Fereshteh Dehkordi
Email: [email protected]

SeattleFarq

So what would be the issues with an asphalt plant at the proposed location?
Perhaps nothing, perhaps a whole lot. I encourage anyone to look into it more if they have concerns. I posted this to bring the project to the attention of anyone who enjoys fishing the Cedar River, which flows just 200 feet from the entrance to the site of the proposed plant.

Shad

There's a big Lakeside facility in Aberdeen, right on the Chehalis. I guess we don't freak out about it too much, because the same area used to be Standard Oil, and just upstream lies whatever nastiness the Cosmo folks are adding to the mix. In other words, it seems the less of neighboring evils, though I have no idea what risks it introduces.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Pretty impressive awards history. Looks like they have a handful of other plants in WA and OR and no environmental mishaps that I can find.

http://lakesideindustries.com/recognitions/

It does seem odd they would choose to locate a plant near a river. They have to know that is going to draw some ire and angst. Unless there is something quite unique about that location, it would seem like there are lot's of other places to choose - much less controversial.

Looks like they have another hot potato project/proposal at their existing Nisqually facility.

http://www.theolympian.com/news/politics-government/article139983718.html

So the question is, where do we allow companies to conduct the business of making the products, goods and services we love to hate?

wisconsin_fly

Driftless traffic...
I'll preface by saying I live in the neighborhood on top of the hill just south of the proposed facility. I'm very aware of the NIMBY optics of this, but I don't think there is a lot of industrial sites along the Cedar, are there?

Two additional aspects of this location:
1) The fumes/exhaust/particulate matter will rise right into the neighborhoods surrounding the valley. Currently, we can smell the mulch from the location when they get big deliveries in.

2) An estimated 300 new trucks on 169 every single day. So daily traffic as well as the increased industrial traffic will accompany the people who use the greenway/bike trail and recreate on the Cedar along that stretch.

I think Freestone makes the salient point that a lot of the residents are asking, is this really the best place for this facility?

jeff bandy

Make my day
Here's a link to a environmental impact study of a proposed plant; https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...fAEgQFgg7MAQ&usg=AOvVaw1jWtare0xqfwNBx1lwrPEp

Biggest problem is getting them to take responsibility for the mess they leave behind. How many times have we, the tax payers, had to sue to get proper clean up done? How many studies have we had to pay for? All of the monies spent to regulate, monitor and mitigate the actual costs should be part of the taxes paid by the owners.

Also, why next to a river? In a coveted part of town? On some of the most sensitive property you could pick anywhere in puget sound?

SeattleFarq

Other things to consider - the location is outside the 100-year flood plain for the Cedar, so flood risk is very low. However, it is within a seismic risk area. I don't know the details of that classification, but I know the hillsides around there are pretty steep. As for truck traffic - in addition to adding to congestion, that will also contribute to dust and exhaust, which could impact water quality across the street.

constructeur

So the question is, where do we allow companies to conduct the business of making the products, goods and services we love to hate?
...as we blast around on roads made of, you guessed it, asphalt.

The Lee's run a good shop, and pay their people well (Union.) The location would be convenient too.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
To make it workable, asphalt is often mixed with solvents, some of which are carcinogenic. Carcinogens are not safe to use around rich people.
They do not use solvents to make the asphalt "workable". They use heat. Asphalt plants are a bit smelly because of the vapor from the fuels creating the heat and the asphalt vapor. If you read the application, it is for a grading permit and it is difficult to find fault for what it entails. Description is as follows "Grading activities including removal of stockpiles, excavation of petroleum contaminated soils, and backfill with clean soils in preparation to develop the site into an asphalt plant. Construction of the future asphalt plant will require a building permit. Approximately 8.55 acres of the total 25- acre site will be included in the grading activity." That is what you have to make comments on. Hard to find fault with that description. If the permit to site a plant there has already been granted, then you are dead in the water (excuse the pun).

nomlasder

WFF Supporter
Oil trains along many miles of rivers represent a significantly greater risk.
The proposed site was a gravel quarry and cement plant for decades. When they used to wash out the trucks right on the site. Asphalt batch plants are pretty benign comparatively.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts