Pattern Micro Mayfly Ntmph

Davy

This is a pattern popularized in NoCal especially on the lower Sacramento river.My son did quite well last year with it on the Yakima.

#18,20,22 TMC 200 hook

Gudebrod 10/0 thread- light olive ( for the body)
extra small gold wire (rib)

Tail= brown hen saddle fibres

wingcase= 5 crystal flash fibres
legs- brown hen saddle( layed under crystal flash)
thorax= ICE brown ultraviolet dubbing

Attachments

Davey,

I'm with Frogpooop on this one. Gonna have to tie some of those myself. Just to be sure I remember who showed the dressing to me I may have to add some JC nails somewhere.

REE

Davy

REE= " Micro" JC nails

Thanks ! and yes, do tye some- they are a killer bug- I personally have seen my son nailing fish with them while others (me :rofl: ) used other bugs and got few or none- I also tye them with more of chartruese body- like a Chartruese Copper John.

Only thing is; anymore I need a microscope to tye the darn things on. :beathead: :beathead:

I bought some ( actually a bunch) antique "blind eye" trout hooks- down to size 20- gonna try tying some with leader loops attached to solve this problem. :thumb:

Soon as I get to them I will post some.

davy

comes from the great mike mercer. If you sub some wire for the body you have a hell of a copper john. Tie in with some bright orange, yellow, chartruese. Change it up a bit for preswsured waters.

Davy

Dan Soltau said:
comes from the great mike mercer. If you sub some wire for the body you have a hell of a copper john. Tie in with some bright orange, yellow, chartruese. Change it up a bit for preswsured waters.

ahhh !! Mike Mercer-- I never di know the originator- thanks for that.

Yes indeed,some of those box compartments are "full" of Micro Mays and Copper Johns- especially the chartruese and reds.

Very similar patterns.

davy

I live in Northern CA and have been using these patterns for a few years. They are very successful. I actually just emailed Mike Mercer at The Fly Shop and he gave me the original pattern which is a litter different, but probably doesn't matter a lot. The keys are a very thin body, fat abdomen and oversized bead. He likes to use epoxy on the wingcase, like several other of his patterns.

Davy

yup, did 'em from memory - I am sure different is being kind -LOL

The ones my son buys down there are tiny tiny tiny ,and then even tinier than that.

davy

Latest posts