Guide spacing help - Sage Bolt

Hello Folks,

Wrapping up a Sage Bolt 490 Blank and have noticed that the spacing listed on the Sage site may have a problem. There is a sizeable spread between Guide 8 and 9 which I don't think is correct. Anyone have the correct spacing for the Sage Bolt, or, Does anyone have a manufactured Bolt 490 that I can get the guide spacing on. THanks for your input in advance.

Jeff

This is Sage's...

upload_2017-11-14_15-35-44.png

My preference is to use this guide spacing for a 4 or 5 weight.

upload_2017-11-14_15-36-33.png

I've never had an issue with the spacing of the latter, but the 2 aren't all that dissimilar in this case.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check my measurements again. But it seemed like only 2 guides on the 3rd section from the tip and too much space between 8 and 9. Maybe I measured wrong. THanks very much!
]
Jeff

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I've wrapped a few rods back in the day, but by no means am I proficient at it. On the last one I did (a 9' 4 weight), I added an extra snake guide midway between the tip & the next guide down. I think I may have sacrificed a little casting distance, but the fly line NEVER made that occasional obnoxious half-hitch over the tip & around the rod.

I've wrapped a few rods back in the day, but by no means am I proficient at it. On the last one I did (a 9' 4 weight), I added an extra snake guide midway between the tip & the next guide down. I think I may have sacrificed a little casting distance, but the fly line NEVER made that occasional obnoxious half-hitch over the tip & around the rod.

Thanks Jim, By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with your quote about dogs. My Brittany just had surgery for Laryngial Paralysis and she's doing great!

Big Rob

It does look odd, but Sage might have planned it that way if there is little to no flex in the rod in that section.
or...it could be a type-o
Once you get your snakes set-up with tape, run a line thru it, fixed to the reel seat, and flex the rod. Guide spacing can be fine-adjusted to keep line arc more symmetrical to rod bend and better distribute pressure on the blank. You might see there is no flex between 8 n 9, or that it really looks odd and you should adjust. Its all about creating even pressure through the arc of the blank, while limiting resistance.
I dont go to 1/0's unless i'm 3wt or under. Stick with ultralight snakes and use 1's thru the tip section. I prefer REC Recoil guides.

Interestingly, the guide spacing is the same on the site for the ACCELL 490 and I know that there is more flex in the accel. I thought well, the Method is a very fast rod I'll check that guide chart. When I map it out the tip of the guides near the bottoms of the section extend all the way to the union point with no room to wrap below the guide for the method, and too much space between the tip top and the first snake. I decided to just go with the chart for the Bolt as it doesn't seen that far off and it is the sage guide. I think the logic of minimal flex in that part of the rod is good and I agree with you. Thanks!

Jeff