Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

7wt Fiberglass Switch

Fiberglass 
872 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Apollosenvy 
#1 ·
I will be purchasing a 7wt switch sometime in the near future. I am specifically looking at the DH11 from Epic and the Echo Fiberglass switch. If anyone has experience with either of these, or another recommendation that I should be looking at, please let me know. I've yet to find someone who's cast either of these rods.

#2 ·
I haven't cast the Epic, but I freakin love my Echo. It quite literally casts itself and is smooth as butter. I like it with a 420gr compact skagit. Even a hack like me can turn over up to 10' of t14 plus a rabbit streamer. It'll handle any steelhead the PacNW will throw at you, but perhaps not a Chinook if one were to hook it on the middle of a rapid...

You definitely wouldn't regret it.

#5 ·
I own the DHII and my buddy has the Echo Glass 7wt switch and spey. Being glass all three rods have a true spey action regardless of length. All three are great rods with the DHII being the lightest and most refined of the group (as it should given the price difference).

The DHII is rated 7/8/9 and I would call it an 8. It will absolutely launch a Skagit Switch 510 head. The taper is progressive, faster the the Echo and faster then one would expect but just as sensitive, and has enough butt section reserve to turn tired Idaho chinook. Lighter in hand then both Echos. It would be the better coho rod I think.

The Echo glass spey is a step down in power and speed. It has a sweet full flex that goes all the way through the cork on a cast. You could touch and go cast it but it's way more comfortable with sustained anchor casts. At first it doesn't feel that much heavier than the DHII, but you definitely feel it by hour 3.

The Echo glass switch is basically a shorter version of the spey, less power and distance but still a sweet casting rod none the less. Would be a great summer run steelhead and coho rod.

#6 ·
The DHII is rated 7/8/9 and I would call it an 8. It will absolutely launch a Skagit Switch 510 head. The taper is progressive, faster the the Echo and faster then one would expect but just as sensitive, and has enough butt section reserve to turn tired Idaho chinook. Lighter in hand then both Echos. It would be the better coho rod I think.

The Echo glass spey is a step down in power and speed. It has a sweet full flex that goes all the way through the cork on a cast. You could touch and go cast it but it's way more comfortable with sustained anchor casts. At first it doesn't feel that much heavier than the DHII, but you definitely feel it by hour 3
That's the kind of comparative information I went looking for. The DIY kits are running around $500 shipped. I may have to jump on that for my next two hander.
I manage to find a gently used 7110 Echo for significantly less than retail, so I hopped on that this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.