Buying a rifle.

eplanajr

I am buying my first hunting rifle. After years of waterfowl hunting with my Browning BPS, I am looking for a large game rifle that will be my first and eventually given to my sons as their first. I am looking to do my first hunt next fall.

I have it widdled down to the follow guns:
Winchester XPR
Remington 783
Browning AB3
I know they are entry level but seem to be well received. Will be used for hunting white tail and the such.

Cabela's has the XPR for $349 (after rebate) with a Vortex scope and the 783 for $279 (after rebate) with a no-name scope. Bass Pro has the AB3 for $499 with Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (after rebate).

Looking to get a 30-06

Any insights into them?

Last edited:
I would get that xpr in 6.5 creedmoor or 308 if I was you. Vortex are good scopes for the warranty but maybe look at a higher quality one down the road, even if it is just a top of the line vortex. Optics make or break a hunt. Just my 2 cents, don’t own either.

If you like your bps you should look at an a bolt.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
An '06 in any rifle will work for any big game species in North America and ammunition is readily available as well as easy to find (even in out-of-the-way places.). I believe in using the best optics you can afford & have been very pleased with higher-end Vortex glass.

Have fun & be safe. For hunting purposes, zero from a bench and then practice from hunting positions - from improvised or portable rests, sitting, kneeling and off-hand. Personally, I have NO experience with the rifles you mentioned.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
I think the biggest mistake rifle buyers make is skimping on optics for their new firearm. I was told early on that the scope quality was more important and the rifle. “Spend as much or more on the scope as you spend on the rifle” was the summary of the advice. Start a thread on “scopes” and see what response you get.

Welcome to the sport of big game hunting!

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
I am buying my first hunting rifle. After years of waterfowl hunting with my Browning BPS, I am looking for a large game rifle that will be my first and eventually given to my sons as their first. I am looking to do my first hunt next fall.

I have it widdled down to the follow guns:
Winchester XPR
Remington 783
Browning AB3
I know they are entry level but seem to be well received. Will be used for hunting white tail and the such.

Cabela's has the XPR for $349 (after rebate) with a Vortex scope and the 783 for $279 (after rebate) with a no-name scope. Bass Pro has the AB3 for $499 with Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (after rebate).

Looking to get a 30-06

Any insights into them?
I have the Remington 783 and find its quite serviceable. I'm very impressed with the new SigSauer 100XT Classic, but locally its about 800$ new. Not sure if that's in your price bracket. It got good reviews in Outdoor Life and American Hunter. I got one in 6.5 Creedmoor a few months ago, and already took game with it. It shot less than 1/2" group right out of the box with factory ammo. Get one in 30.06 or 308, and you have a great PNW hunting tool, suitable for everything in our state.

I find that for hunting, a cheap 4x Tasco scope is an excellent choice, and have one on every one of my hunting rifles but 1 (14 rifles total). That one has a Weaver K4 4x scope. Fixed power scopes have fewer problems than zoom. If you can't see game the size of a coyote or deer with a 4 x, then you need to stalk in closer.

Last edited:

C&CRods

not your average member
I second the SWFA scopes for the money. The 3×9 hd with mill reticle is a sweet scope.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Well I ended up going with the Browning A-Bolt 3 in a 30-06 with the Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope.
For $499 I figured I couldn't go wrong (plus I am already a Browning fan). I figure it will be a solid scope as a first and when much budget permits (3 young boys) I can throw better glass on it.
You made the choice I would have made, from your options. I hunt Browning A-bolts. Grew up on Remington 700's, but once I tried an A-bolt, I never looked back. My go to rifles are an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 mag. for elk, and one in .270 for deer.

Latest posts