Buying a rifle.

Coomba

Almost as important as a good rifle and scope is a quality pair of waterproof binoculars. These are a must have for big game hunting, particularly in low light conditions.

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
Now that you have your shooting system and are starting to fire it, I have one suggestion: get off of the bench once your rifle is "zeroed". If you need cheap targets, get a package of dinner sized paper plates, they are about the size of the vitals area on a deer. Shoot "offhand" or kneeling if you want to improve your skills as a hunter.

Want to have more fun? Buy life sized photographic targets of deer, believe me it will dramatically improve your marksmanship. And kids love shooting realistic targets more than just black circles. Another tip: "aim small, miss small", one of the Marine or other expert shooters on the forum will have more shooting suggestions.

Have fun!

Now that you have your shooting system and are starting to fire it, I have one suggestion: get off of the bench once your rifle is "zeroed". If you need cheap targets, get a package of dinner sized paper plates, they are about the size of the vitals area on a deer. Shoot "offhand" or kneeling if you want to improve your skills as a hunter.

Want to have more fun? Buy life sized photographic targets of deer, believe me it will dramatically improve your marksmanship. And kids love shooting realistic targets more than just black circles. Another tip: "aim small, miss small", one of the Marine or other expert shooters on the forum will have more shooting suggestions.

Have fun!
And when you keep pushing the distance further and further back, stop when you can no longer keep them on that paper plate. That is the longest distance you should be shooting at any deer or elk.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but don't forget shooting sticks unless you are hunting exclusively in woods where there is usually a rest available. You can make your own for almost nothing; just google for plans. More versatile than a bipod and much cheaper. Good hunting! Get the boys started right!

OK now you have a new rifle and want o become proficient. I strongly suggest doing a lot of shooting with something like a good .22 rifle at distances of up to 100 yards or so. the recoil is light and one can concentrate on proper trigger pull and not develop a flinch and the ammo is cheap.

There is no sense in burning up a barrel of a hunting rifle by shooting a lot or rounds through it.

Dave

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel

Have fun!

Even more fun. You can download and print off regulation airgun targets with stupid Trump's face on them. They are a free download at http://www.archerairrifles.com/free-trump-target/ Print it on 8 1/2 by 11 paper and its about the right size. They place the bull right over the idiot's mouth

Even more fun. You can download and print off regulation airgun targets with stupid Trump's face on them. They are a free download at http://www.archerairrifles.com/free-trump-target/ Print it on 8 1/2 by 11 paper and its about the right size. They place the bull right over the idiot's mouth
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you like talking to Feds. It might look like you were practicing for an assassination attempt if someone saw you. Nope. Not prudent.

ribka

that's a great suggestion

I always buy life size paper deer and elk targets to teach new shooters/hunters where to place shots after shooting circles and dots.

Using back pack, shooting sticks, off hand, snap shooting etc

Have fun!

Latest posts