Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

37 inches of steel on 36 inches of canvas

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Skip Enge 
#1 ·
#14 ·
Very nice. Oil? Acrylic?...or what do people use these days?

Also, how long did it take?

Just being nosy....and thinking of my hopefully soon retirement years ;)

Mike d
Good question! Acrylic on a canvas treated with gesso. It seems way more friendly for cleanup over true oil paints but it ask drys way faster if you don't put a slowing agent. All paints are not created equal, cheaper means more filler and binding agent, nicer means more pigment and vibrant colors. Not sure what these will look like in 20 years, but I hope brands like Windsor Newton maybe tested longevity at some point? The paintings I did during a few art classes 8 years ago look just fine so not too worried. Not sure what the greats like Deyoung are using these days?

#15 ·
Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement, I have some renewed motivation!
Art paint Paint Rectangle Wood Art
Here is another landscape I worked on last year, but I wasn't happy with it. I tried reworking the sky the other day and it's a little better, but I think the photo is part of the problem. Live and learn? Just going on to the next one. One of my best professors used to say "your an artist if you buy supplies and use them up! don't let them waste away in a corner"

#19 ·
Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement, I have some renewed motivation! View attachment 156178 Here is another landscape I worked on last year, but I wasn't happy with it. I tried reworking the sky the other day and it's a little better, but I think the photo is part of the problem. Live and learn? Just going on to the next one. One of my best professors used to say "your an artist if you buy supplies and use them up! don't let them waste away in a corner"
Like your bold use of color, contrast, and distinct style. If i hadn't known who 5 the steelhead or the landscape, I would have known they were done by the same artist.

#16 ·
I love the darkness. Looks like a fall summerun. Definitely something I'd consider purchasing.

If it had a subject, what river would it have come from?
Go Sox,
cds
"Southern OP Shadows...." ;) or something like that. My personal best, it was a surprisingly dark fish low in the system for a winter run, but maybe it had been around for a while? Small system so I don't drop names... Hummmm it was January so I always figured winter run, but now that you say so, maybe a late summer fish makes more sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.