SRC flies

One more thing ....... I read their intro and it sounds interesting. Ask him (them) where the flies are tied. They talked about materials in the flies however most companies selling flies tied in the USA would tell you that.

If domestic and well-tied, hell of a price.
There is almost ZERO flies tied in the USA at a commercial rate at even close to competitive prices with that site. Not to mention the hooks them selves must be just absolute garbage.

One of the main reason I began tying was lack of durability of many store bought flies. Twisting around the hook, hackle unraveling, etc. Cool seeing Jeff D. post here!!

This is an interesting article on the differences between flies, not so much the sweatshop aspect of it:
https://midcurrent.com/experts/are-discount-flies-a-good-deal/

This one though is cool, it talks about how fly tying actually benefits workers:
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/27/news/adfg-flies27

Another interesting article:
http://ibecventures.com/blog/hooked-on-changing-lives
Let me make a clarification, not ALL of these companies are bad. Solitude and Umpqua (neither of these companies can sell their flies for that price) for instance higher third party companies to inspect all factories to prevent these issues. Also, there are a handful of factories that were opened for the reason of bringing revenue to areas with extreme poverty. The fly fishing and fly tying community has done a very good job of avoiding these issues, however, this is not uncommon unfortunately amongst these cheep fly websites.

Saltman

"Just Fish!"
Thanks for the info. I actually got some Delia’s squid patterns from poulsbo fly shop that lasted about 30 min of casting before completely unraveling and falling Apart. I paid over 6 bucks for those two flies and never hooked up or anything because I really never even got a chance to cast them before they totally fell apart.

So after that I’m just looking for something that may fish well, gig harbor doesn’t have that fly so I just thought what the hell and looked online. They are based in San Diego.
Hi VT....

This is capt. Bill from Peninsula Outfitters.

The majority of our Beach patterns are tied locally on premium hooks using top grade materials (thus the price). If your flies fell apart in 30 minutes, I would question the position of your back casts. Some times hitting the beach will unravel the best tied flies.... That being said, you should always discuss this type of issue with the shop where you purchased the flies. As for my shop, we stand behind what we sell, and I would have happily replaced the 2 flies.

Tight Lines!

capt. Bill

There is almost ZERO flies tied in the USA at a commercial rate at even close to competitive prices with that site. Not to mention the hooks them selves must be just absolute garbage.
Or Canada! Flies from tyers using good materials in this area START at $24 per dozen (to the tyer) and go up from there. The guys I know are very proud of their work and stand behind it. I know of only one fly that was replaced in 25+ years - I saw it and am positive it spent time on the rocks during a backcast. You don’t crack epoxy flies any other way! The tyer replaced that fly anyway, but showed it to me for a second opinion. Diagnosis was dropping the backcast.

Or Canada! Flies from tyers using good materials in this area START at $24 per dozen (to the tyer) and go up from there. The guys I know are very proud of their work and stand behind it. I know of only one fly that was replaced in 25+ years - I saw it and am positive it spent time on the rocks during a backcast. You don’t crack epoxy flies any other way! The tyer replaced that fly anyway, but showed it to me for a second opinion. Diagnosis was dropping the backcast.
The busted couple flies doesn’t reflect poorly on Jeff Delia, Bill at Peninusla or anyone else, if you fish you will break some flies. Rio doesn’t give you new tippet if you break off a trout. I highly doubt Bill is selling crappy flies in his shop and I highly doubt the flies unraveled in a cast or two. Shit just happens. Support local fly shops, don’t buy cheap online flies, and go fishing.

The busted couple flies doesn’t reflect poorly on Jeff Delia, Bill at Peninusla or anyone else, if you fish you will break some flies. Rio doesn’t give you new tippet if you break off a trout. I highly doubt Bill is selling crappy flies in his shop and I highly doubt the flies unraveled in a cast or two. Shit just happens. Support local fly shops, don’t buy cheap online flies, and go fishing.
This is a local fly shop down near San Diego. This was my local fly shop when I lived down there and have bought other fly fishing gear from them. They are nice and have given great recommendations on flies. That’s how I found out about them and their flies have always been solid.
And I was fishing parallel to the beach several feet deep in water when my fly unraveled, so wasn’t casting over a beach when it unraveled.

Tight lines

I have bought a number of SRC patterns from the Poulsbo shop and none have just fallen apart. I would guess you were wacking them on the beach with your back cast.

I agree 100% w/ Stonefish on the sportsman’s idea. The guy that works there (Saturday’s I think) is really friendly and helpful. When I first started SRC fishing he gave me a lot of good advice. Also, I fished simple conehead Woolley buggers for probably the first year or so after I started targeting SRC. I was very successful with that pattern - in particular olive.
Mark is the guys name. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. Great guy.

Like everyone else, I would recommend buying good flies from a shop or learn how to tie. You could get a few inexpensive patterns at Sportsmans to get you started, but flies that fall apart in 30 minutes are annoying whether you pay $1 or $3 for them. Remember those Sportsmans flies won't be stainless and will rust out pretty quickly even if you rinse them after use. You don't need as many flies for SRC as you do for freshwater trout (IMO), so getting a decent selection shouldn't set you back too much. Sorry to break this news to you, but fly fishing is not a poor man's sport - you have to pay to play!

jasmillo

Like everyone else, I would recommend buying good flies from a shop or learn how to tie. You could get a few inexpensive patterns at Sportsmans to get you started, but flies that fall apart in 30 minutes are annoying whether you pay $1 or $3 for them. Remember those Sportsmans flies won't be stainless and will rust out pretty quickly even if you rinse them after use. You don't need as many flies for SRC as you do for freshwater trout (IMO), so getting a decent selection shouldn't set you back too much. Sorry to break this news to you, but fly fishing is not a poor man's sport - you have to pay to play!
I agree.....I did eventually stop buying flies from them because they are not stainless and they rust quickly. I would learn to tie if I were you. SRC and salmon patterns are fun to learn on. I only tie my own nowadays...

Let me make a clarification, not ALL of these companies are bad. Solitude and Umpqua (neither of these companies can sell their flies for that price) for instance higher third party companies to inspect all factories to prevent these issues. Also, there are a handful of factories that were opened for the reason of bringing revenue to areas with extreme poverty. The fly fishing and fly tying community has done a very good job of avoiding these issues, however, this is not uncommon unfortunately amongst these cheep fly websites.
This company, Sherpa Flies, seems interesting. Flies made in rural Nepal supposedly in a socially responsible and fair manner. http://sherpaflies.com/about/

Latest posts