Curing UV Resin to Hold Materials in Place

Squamishpoacher

This started out as fullback nymph and an attempt to use up some sub par PT feathers. Instead of trimming the tags of the shellback, I found that I can fold them back drop some UV cure on them and hold them back with a piece of food wrap or Ziploc plastic. The UV light is applied and passes through the clear plastic to cure the resin and cement the feathers in place. I also tied a waterboatman with the same technique. I think it makes a fly more true to life than forming a "head" at the fore end if the tying finish. Apology for the poor quality of the photos but I'm camped out and it's a dull day here.

Attachments

Jim Darden

This started out as fullback nymph and an attempt to use up some sub par PT feathers. Instead of trimming the tags of the shellback, I found that I can fold them back drop some UV cure on them and hold them back with a piece of food wrap or Ziploc plastic. The UV light is applied and passes through the clear plastic to cure the resin and cement the feathers in place. I also tied a waterboatman with the same technique. I think it makes a fly more true to life than forming a "head" at the fore end if the tying finish. Apology for the poor quality of the photos but I'm camped out and it's a dull day here.
great idea....good innovation!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts