"Ode to Gnome"

racermo

Yes, very good. The Oh baby's are for the swelled butt / grip - not my choice for a grip but very sexy. What's the total length and line weight?

Thanks racermo, you need to feel the grip and cast/fight a fish with it...might change your mind! Not slippery even when wet...with the oddball lengths of each section, 7' 10" and should be a 5 wt. haven't put a line on it yet, the wraps just cured today. Looking forward to giving it a fling!

racermo

I've always been intrigued by the staggered ferrules of a parabolic Pezon et Michel. It will be interesting to see how your setup turns out. As for the grip, here's what I currently favor: (After a few decades of changing grip preference evolution...:cool:)
South Bend Shorty - 001s.jpg

racermo

Thanks. None better for the buck than Ray, that's for sure. I've shortened the seat by 5/8" to keep the whole thing short. The rod is a tip and mid from a South Bend 57. What will be interesting is that the tips from my (very good) 323 will fit as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference in action will will be.

How are you applying the Tru-Oil? I'm trying it for the first time, normally I'd spar varnish but from the recommendations I've heard I thought I'd give it a go. It dries very quickly, almost too quickly.

It would be interesting to try a swelled grip like yours but with my wood working skills..... :(

I use a paper towel to apply a light coat of Tru Oil, wait 15 mins then wipe off. If the temps are warm, I do two coats per day. 7's my lucky number. Then I wrap with nylon A thread and finish with Threadmaster. After a few days to cure, I buff on two coats of Birchwood Casey's gun stock wax.
Your rod would've qualified for the short bamboo rod challenge...let us know how it casts!

Steve, another beautiful rod Frankenrod. I really want to learn how to make those swelled grips. When we do the bamboo fling next year can we do it earlier in the year. Maybe in May when it is a little cooler and there are still stockers in the lakes. What do you think about the term "Bamboo Fling"? I think it is kind of catchy.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Very nice, Steve! Now, tap your wader heels together three times while repeating "There's no grace like Gnome, there's no grace like Gnome, . . ." and magically you'll be on a pristine lake or stream . . .

Tim,
I've been a long time admirer of his rods, beautiful works of fishable art! Wish I could get some of those exotic woods....just another amazing Japanese bamboo guy.....:rolleyes:

Steve, another beautiful rod Frankenrod. I really want to learn how to make those swelled grips. When we do the bamboo fling next year can we do it earlier in the year. Maybe in May when it is a little cooler and there are still stockers in the lakes. What do you think about the term "Bamboo Fling"? I think it is kind of catchy.
Jerry,
You put the "fling" together and let us know......can be on your side of the sound? I'm a self taught woodworker...my trademark hotrod..copy if you can! Not hard, just time consuming but fun.

Latest posts