NFR Matt Lauer firing and My feelings on the MeToo campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread Jojo! I think some of us who are a bit older are surprised this is still as widespread as it is. I do hope it's better for the newer generations.

Interesting note: today 4 of my clients have asked for training for staff on these issues. Usually clients ignore us when we suggest that they make all new hires watch the tapes on appropriate behavior in the workplace. This week this is a hot ticket item. Maybe some good will come of all this.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Has it occurred to anybody, without President Trump being elected this this rampant abuse of sexual harassment would have never become the issue it is today.

Jojo

I watched those trials - To this day the site of Orin Hatch pisses me off.
I watched those hearings too with three other women in the union office during our lunchtime and breaks and and he pissed me off too. I will say this about those hearings: Anita Hill was happening at the same time that one guy kept harassing me, telling me to wear the leather skirt to work, and worse. Anita Hill gave me the guts to finally let him have it. The women i worked with talked a lot about what she was doing for women in the workplace and i was inspired to stand up for myself. Look at what she put herself through!

But (sigh)....then we all forgot again.

@McKivergan Yes!....i agree about the hope for good to come out of all this! I like to think this generation might be better than some of us who are Baby Boomers who put up with more.

And i really hope that training is going to be a big thing for workplaces. And even more, that young women (and men too) get some kind of assertiveness training and skills in their K-12 years to counteract situations that could put them in harm.

It will have to be likely mandatory. We in the union office used to offer a class called "Accused" which was for educators in not putting themselves in a spot where they can get in trouble with staff and students. The instructor was great, and brought humor to the class in addition to solid information educators needed. I had to help at many of these classes and would look around the room and nearly all of them were women. (And yes i know Mary Kay LeTourneau probably wouldn't have come either.)

But i do think the people who need it won't show up.

I try not to get too political here - (saying i can't stand our president is an understatement - I don't even like to say his name), however, i don't blame him For this. While I do think he opened a door for allowances of new bad behavior, this wave did not come about because he got elected. It's been going on forever.

jamma

Great thread Jojo! I think some of us who are a bit older are surprised this is still as widespread as it is. I do hope it's better for the newer generations.

Interesting note: today 4 of my clients have asked for training for staff on these issues. Usually clients ignore us when we suggest that they make all new hires watch the tapes on appropriate behavior in the workplace. This week this is a hot ticket item. Maybe some good will come of all this.
As I look back,it is interesting to see the evolution of women in the workplace.When I started in '76,women were assigned certain jobs,chiefly offbearing,that is stacking finished product on pallets for shipping to the customer or inspecting product before said offbearing.This was considered women's work and no man would be asked to do this work,even temporarily.Conversely,no women were expected to run or maintain the machinery.As time went by and standards changed,workers began to cross both sides of this barrier to the point where it was about 50/50 when I retired.
One other big change.Not while I was there but not long before,ashtrays were kept on the machine so that one could smoke while on the job.Amazing.

Jojo

I would like to say one more thing about this thread. And probably i don't need to say anymore: (I don't want to seem like i keep bumping my own thread.)

i put this up on Facebook too in shorter form and different wording and it did not get much action at all. Many folks on Facebook are interested in posting cat photos and food photos and the millionth photo of their grandchildren.

And while i was worried that y'all wouldn't appreciate another NFR thread here you are. I did not expect that this would be discussed at such length on this forum. I have continued to read this whole thread and appreciate that i think nearly every one of you understand.

Thank you all.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I feel that, if you cannot expect better behavior from those on the top, how can anyone in the system feel they are accountable?

Bad examples, politicians, across the board!
the point is it's been going on forever in the political arena, now it's becoming a big issue when before it was ignored. I find it interesting that now both sides of the political arena are pointing fingers & making accusations when up till now the subject was taboo .

jersey

livin' the dream
Has it occurred to anybody, without President Trump being elected this this rampant abuse of sexual harassment would have never become the issue it is today.
I don't think he was/is the cause or effect. Honestly, I think Weinstein was the main catalyst. If Hollywood is broken and it's good to clear their air, why not the rest of other work places? Either way don't know if it truly matters, so long as these scumbags are brought out in the open,

suckegg

This isn't meant to take away at all the message delivered in the rest of your posting...but, sexual misconduct rumors have swirled around Matt Lauer for years and years. So, it's not really that sudden. What I do think is sudden, in this instance, is that apparently the 'evidence' was presented in the last couple of days, and he was axed immediately. That implies a smoking gun...

And, it's now women (plural) that are coming forward.
A nasty asshole too... not even close to news. Network looked the other way as long as they could.. enablers!

To JoJo:This has been a great thread,good work.I just wanted to throw this case out to illustrate some of the complex dynamics involved in this issue and will be my last reference to it.I respect everyone's input and hope it gave us all something to reflect on.
"But first, The Aristocrats!"

Missed that.......hilarious! Great sig line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts