NFR Proposed Changes to the Internet

jersey

livin' the dream
That's possible, but improbable. Regular folks, and especially businesses, have come to rely on internet technology. Many cannot afford to go back to 1980, and the rest don't want to. That massive dependence testifies that the internet is necessary as a public utility. Utility monopolies are heavily regulated. The internet should be for the same reasons.
Good point Salmo.

Maybe someone should ask Al Gore for permission -he invented it after all.

Bottom line is, your provider will be able to throttle speeds on what they choose, and charge more for high speeds on whatever the hell they want, if this is rolled back. If you think this is a good thing, you need to do some serious personal reflection, and then maybe slap the hell out of yourself.

gofish101

How's that health care thing working out now the Govt is controlling it? Anything those whores help, touch, or manage goes down the tubes...
Fantastic. Government controlled health care works well up in the great white north. Probably could work great in the richest country in the world if people would drop the R's and D's crap long enough to think what is best for the people and country.;)

gofish101

Free-market works.

BTW, what business is alive and well who donate all the R&D, technological advances, trouble shooting, product improvements, etc..for the betterment of society? Businesses are in business to stay in business. It costs real money. Since labor is the one, if not the largest expense, how can business save on labor?
Businesses are in business to make money..period. We have a regulator in Canada that forced cable companies to provide more choice to consumers instead of the $60.00 and up cable package that many complained was excessive. The companies came up with "skinny/lite packages. I now pay $30.00 a month thanks to a government regulator instead of cutting the cord. That same regulator has forced mobile phone companies to unlock phones for free instead of charging $30.00 to $50.00. Point being businesses don't always have our best interests at heart they sometimes need nudging.

gofish101

We have a form of net neutrality up north and that will probably be affected by your laws changing especially for those that watch Netflix or using large amounts of bandwidth. I don't watch Netflix or download much so it won't affect me much, but I do hate to see corporate greed and bullying prevail.

jersey

livin' the dream
Fantastic. Government controlled health care works well up in the great white north. Probably could work great in the richest country in the world if people would drop the R's and D's crap long enough to think what is best for the people and country.;)
Fabulous, very happy for you and yours. Please keep it up there. Now back to the internet thread.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
US 323 million people versus Canada 36 million people. Apples and oranges, my friend.

That is 287 Million more mouths to feed and insure. Much bigger scale, a lot more variables.

Our Military bill is huge as well. No doubt, Canada feels a little safer sitting next to us...
(perhaps before NK went AWOL)

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I can't speak for everyone, but I want free internet, free cell phone, and free health care... free as in government provided. How much more might we have to pay in taxes to attain this level of service?

@gofish101 have you ever read the book Atlas Shrugged?

Latest posts