What hand do you cast with and do you reel in with the same?

I cast with my dominant hand and reel in with the same.

• Total voters
In my local tackle shop yesterday and the age old debate began. It may have been dealt with here before but I searched a little and couldnt find it. Maybe its time for another survey.

I cast right and reel left. I play fish with my strong arm and there's no switching hands with the rod after I cast. There is no "right or wrong" here. To each their own. What do you do?

weiliwen

Cast and reel with both hands. I'd call myself semi-ambidextrous, because I do some activities with my left hand (write, throw) and some with my right hand (tie flies, and other activities that require fine motor skills). I cast farther with my left hand and more accurately with my right hand. Some of my reels are right hand retrieve, some left hand retrieve, and I don't bother switching them around.

Shad

Cast right, strip/reel left.

I actually used to do the switch on spinning gear... No idea why. Stopped after I figured out how much more work I was doing. I've also found it's good to be ready to stop your cast at any point, and that's harder when you're trying to switch hands.

I cast mostly right handed but can cast with either hand. I reel and strip right handed, never even notice the switch. I grew up fishing a bait caster and the reels we had were all right hand retrieve.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Cast right, reel right with a fly rod. My first fly reel was right handed so I just continued on that journey.
Can use either with a spinning or baitcaster reel, though prefer left with the spinning and right with the levelwind.
SF

Shad

Cast right, reel right with a fly rod. My first fly reel was right handed so I just continued on that journey.
Can use either with a spinning or baitcaster reel, though prefer left with the spinning and right with the levelwind.
SF
You just reminded me that I reel a levelwind with my right hand. Only outfit where I switch up. Weird.

Latest posts