What hand do you cast with and do you reel in with the same?

I cast with my dominant hand and reel in with the same.

• Total voters

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Anyone who is not casting with their right hand and reeling with their left hand doesn’t know shit about fly fishing.
Lol! Thanks for clearing that up, Larry. Apparently I've been wasting time & money since the mid-to-late 1950's. I'd reward you with the horde of fly fishing equipment that I've amassed over the years, but then you'd have to learn to cast left & reel right which would erase your vast wealth of fly fishing knowledge. In good faith I just couldn't curse you with that . . . while I don't know shit about fly fishing, I do try to treat others with dignity & respect. Thanks again, though:D. Next . . . ?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Anyone who is not casting with their right hand and reeling with their left hand doesn’t know shit about fly fishing.
True, but it's never stopped me.

There was a time when a left hand wind reel involved a special order or a trip to a machinist to make the conversion.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Back in the day, being a southpaw was like a curse when it came to fishing reels of many types, baseball gloves, scissors, etc. I always wanted to be a catcher (hey, I liked "the tools of ignorance" and thrived on the the occasional contact at the plate); good luck finding a lefty catcher's mitt - such things were non-existent. I was fortunate to have had a more-affluent, left-handed older Cousin who gave me his hand-me-down baseball gloves.

mtskibum16

Cast right, reel left. From an efficiency standpoint, right hand reels (mainly bait casters) have never made sense to me. I don't like having to switch hands after casting to reel and prefer to control the rod and fight fish with my dominant hand. It just makes more sense to reel opposite your casting hand. I guess the old timers that designed the original reels weren't coordinated enough to reel with their left hand. At least most fly reels and spinning reels allow you to swap the retrieve.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
All this left vs right malarkey, if you don't have the correct sinistral vs dextral snake guide placement matched to your casting side, you could be missing out on a good 10 yards per cast or so....;)

Rob Allen

All this left vs right malarkey, if you don't have the correct sinistral vs dextral snake guide placement matched to your casting side, you could be missing out on a good 10 yards per cast or so....;)
Being that trout stream fly fishing makes up the bulk of the fly fishing done, if you arr casting 10 yards you are likely casting too far no matter what hand you reel with.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
True, but it's never stopped me.

There was a time when a left hand wind reel involved a special order or a trip to a machinist to make the conversion.
Really nice collection WW.
I really like using old Youngs like those. Especially those with the red agate line guides. They're beautiful, and they work so well even if right handed!
I have a lead finished Exchecker like yours with the sliding/rotating red agate sitting on my desk. I can gaze at it, and wind that milk bottle handle whenever I need a reality check when I feel the world's gone berserk. Often these days, I'm afraid.
I used to have a close-up of a red agate line guard as my avatar here.
Nobody knew what it was so I changed it.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Nobody knew what it was so I changed it.
I remember that! Didn't it look like the Chicago Bears logo or something?
Since the photobucket fiasco I've yet to reload my photos elsewhere. There's a few in the gallery here tho...
I've got a near mint leaded, red agate, Young stamped, with a spare spool 10B in the box. It's sporting a little box rash but that's it. I'll try to get some pics up in the bamboo forum.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Back in the day, being a southpaw was like a curse when it came to fishing reels of many types, baseball gloves, scissors, etc. I always wanted to be a catcher (hey, I liked "the tools of ignorance" and thrived on the the occasional contact at the plate); good luck finding a lefty catcher's mitt - such things were non-existent. I was fortunate to have had a more-affluent, left-handed older Cousin who gave me his hand-me-down baseball gloves.
Being a lefty I have found that I have had to be more able to adapt to the circumstances at hand.

Latest posts