Fly fishing Guam

It seems like there isn't a whole lot of information available. I am going to Guam for xmas with my gf. I was curious if anybody has had any experience fly fishing here. I know there are rivers, estuary water, a few lakes, and the salt. Have heard Guam has large catfish in rivers, peacock bass, etc. Wondering if anybody has any knowledge or experience. Also pretty darn new to fishing tropical salt water. I was thinking of bringing my 8wt to try from the shore. I have a bonefish line, if you had to choose one other line to bring for deeper stuff and drop offs from reefs, what would it be? Full sink? Some kind of grain line (not too familiar with that)? Any help would be great, direct messages are appreciated.

rotato

A tropical intermediate might be helpful.
A full sink might get wrapped on coral which would not be good.
Small black bead head buggers are a good start for reef scrapers

Sounds like a fun trip!

A tropical intermediate might be helpful.
A full sink might get wrapped on coral which would not be good.
Small black bead head buggers are a good start for reef scrapers

Sounds like a fun trip!
Any idea what kind of sink rate you’d recommend on a tropical intermediate?

Damn, talk about short term memory! There I was, all ready to jump in with my Guam experiences, when DimeBrite saved me a whole lotta work, thanks DB ! I'd forgotten I wrote the above in 2012.

I'll just add here that I always fished a floating line in Guam. When you're fishing over coral or the flats, it's the only way to go, anything else and you'll snag bottom, guaranteed. On drop-offs, if you want adrenaline stuff, fish poppers, the jacks and trevallies will give you all the visual excitement you can handle.

Never tried the freshwater stuff so can't help you there.

Have fun in Guam,
Kenneth

Damn, talk about short term memory! There I was, all ready to jump in with my Guam experiences, when DimeBrite saved me a whole lotta work, thanks DB ! I'd forgotten I wrote the above in 2012.

I'll just add here that I always fished a floating line in Guam. When you're fishing over coral or the flats, it's the only way to go, anything else and you'll snag bottom, guaranteed. On drop-offs, if you want adrenaline stuff, fish poppers, the jacks and trevallies will give you all the visual excitement you can handle.

Never tried the freshwater stuff so can't help you there.

Have fun in Guam,
Kenneth
Thanks for the response Kenneth. Can you tell me what you run after the fly line? Shock tippet? Some kind of knottable wire? Straight mono? Suggestions of good popper patterns?

Latest posts