What grain to use?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Keep in mind the 300g I recommended is for a shooting head type system.
It is common to upline by two or three line weights when using a shooting head system.

The specs Lue listed are AFTMA standards. Those are recommended line weight per rod weights.

Comparing a shooting head type systems to AFTMA standards is really an apples to oranges comparison.
There are no absolutes when it comes to what lines you can use on specific rod weights.
SF

Thanks for the additional info. What is n.b. and n.a.? And yes, I have a salt water reel, plenty of backing and capacity, and an extra spool I intend to bring. :)
Sorry: n.b. = note below (I just use it to emphasize something)....... and N.A. is just my shorthand abbreviation for North America.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Just looking to sabotage this guys game or what? -Fact- AFTMA standard: archaic and obsolete over majority of modern application.

To the original poster. You might consider picking up a couple Airflo 5' Sinking Poly Leaders in corresponding sink rates to your line(s). These can add 30 to as much as 50 grains.. enough to often make a line a little on the light side into a very workable one.

Best of luck

Number Designation

Standard Weight

Margin For Error

1-Weight

54-66

2-Weight

74-86

3-Weight

94-106

4-Weight

114-126

5-Weight

134-146

6-Weight

152-168

7-Weight

177-193

8-Weight

202-218

9-Weight

230-250

10-Weight

270-290

11-Weight

318-342

12-Weight

368-392

13-Weight

14-Weight

15-Weight

Read more: http://www.flyfisherman.com/blogs/fly-line-wt-grain-chart/#ixzz50DEGV55C

Last edited:

SilverFly

All Cabelas 8-weight rods will in theory match a recommended fly line weight of only 210 grains (8-weight) , which is lighter than 300 grains. But you don’t need to stick to that exact weight. Some will up-line by one to an average of 250 grains but you really need to try this stuff out before you go!
I agree that it's accurately rated as an 8wt. I bought that same rod before a trip to the Bahamas a few years ago. I wanted a "emergency" outfit that would fit in my carry-on backpack. That was a good thought because we were late getting into Miami and barely made our flight to Nassau.

Like most Cabelas rods, it casts nice. Not super-fast, but forgiving, and a good rod for a beginner. The 8wt Cortland clear-camo intermediate I lined it with seemed well matched and fished fine, if a bit "supple" in the bathwater there.

By some miracle I even managed to put it to a decent test on the five-ish pound bone in my avatar. The thought never entered my mind that I wasn't fighting that fish on premium brand rod.

Last edited:

Latest posts