Reference What's your default setting?

jamma

The thing I like about fly fishing is you can come at it from any level,traditional:bamboo,rubber hip waders,wicker creels,dry flies using only fur and feathers,etc.,modern:graphite,scienced out accessories,flies using synthetic materials,etc. or any mixture of the two.Where do you draw the line?One subject I have never seen any input on,and without going all ballistic on me,would you ever consider putting scent(Pro-Cure or something like that)on a fly?

Krusty

No. Not going ballistic or anything, but you might as well throw a worm on the fly if you go that route. Using bait (and scent is merely bait) misses the whole point of fly fishing. Haven't done it in 60 years of flyfishing....never been that desperate to catch fish.

And finally, I believe that if you're fishing Washington state waters subject to the selective gear rule the use of scents on an artificial fly or lure is prohibited.

Last edited:
Never have. Never will. I like the thought that something that I tied on a hook was good enough to fool one of Mother Nature's creatures enough to eat it. Then I release the fish unless I'm after food.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
What's with the "Reference" at the heading of this thread. This is about fishing and using fly related subjects. You don't need it there as you aren't Referencing anything.

In fact a few of the newer guys are using this on the title.

Buzzy

Krusty nailed it for selective fisheries. But I will tip a "k-fly's" trailing treble hook with a maggot or white corn. And yes, it ain't really fly fishing anymore when you add bait. Lake Roosevelt's kokanee are delicious and for me, that is a catch and cook fishery. It is, however, the only fishery I legally "cheat"on. Besides, no casting, just trolling. A troll fishery.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Staff member
My choices seem to be a mix of selected and happenstance...I have old bamboo I have searched for a proper reel for at swap meets...it extends the enjoyment...The rest is happenstance...Do I scent flies? Not on purpose. My fly fishing is a mish mash of gear and "attire"...and I have never thought of it as attire.

Yes. Blue water trolling for pelagic fish, I have rubbed my fly on bait. I don’t think trolling by motorboat really counts as fly fishing anyway, so...
Some more “lines” to consider:
If I rub my fly on rocks and algae to hopefully mask some scent, is that “scenting” the fly and kicks it out of fly fishing eligibility? What if I do the same thing with my fly on a salmon carcass?

Salmo_g

I'm not a purist, nor hard-headed, nor opinionated, but I don't put worms on my fly hooks because they always come off while casting. Well that, and I don't have any worms to put on the hooks anyway, but if I did, well, I wouldn't. Cuz, see above.

jamma

What's with the "Reference" at the heading of this thread. This is about fishing and using fly related subjects. You don't need it there as you aren't Referencing anything.

In fact a few of the newer guys are using this on the title.
My bad.Can only speak for myself,but the pop-up menu seems to imply that these are the only options available and I was aware none of the others applied.It would probably help if no prefix was listed as an option.I thought I had clicked on no prefix but apparently my earlier choice took precedence.I am,as Skip tells me,an emerging Internet caveman.

Latest posts