Reference What's your default setting?

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
I would have never guessed from the thread title we were discussing the merits or heresy of using scent on flies. Other than residual from a turkey or chicken, swiss cheese wrap, topped with pepperocini, I fall into the using scent on flies is cheating group.

Skip Enge

Jamma is a quick study...from luddite (Brian, your brothers descriptor, not mine) to Lord Pot Stirrer extraordinaire...just kiddin' ...;)

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I generally don't even use scent when trolling spoons for salmon. Those I fish with always do. It seems like we catch the same amount and I don't get that shit on my sandwich.

Go sox,
Cds

Skip Enge

My bad.Can only speak for myself,but the pop-up menu seems to imply that these are the only options available and I was aware none of the others applied.It would probably help if no prefix was listed as an option.I thought I had clicked on no prefix but apparently my earlier choice took precedence.I am,as Skip tells me,an emerging Internet caveman.
One of the best i've seen coming out of a cave.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I'm guilty of tipping flies with a maggot while whitefishing & ice fishing "back in the day," but no longer & not for many years. "Clean hands are happy hands," lol.

I reckon that at my age and where fly-fishing is concerned, my "default setting" now would be "taking a nap in a sunny spot with Hank curled-up by my side." THAT is very good!

Last edited:

Skip Enge

I will say my new default is more talking about fly fishing than fishing...and waiting for weather that doesn't make my hands numb...and making sure I take some ibuprofen.

jamma

I would have never guessed from the thread title we were discussing the merits or heresy of using scent on flies. Other than residual from a turkey or chicken, swiss cheese wrap, topped with pepperocini, I fall into the using scent on flies is cheating group.
Scenting was only one issue I was interested in.We all set limits on what we will or won't use.Some of mine are:
No generic flies.I won't use Wooley buggers,hare's ear or pheasant tail nymphs and for no good reason,I absolutely hate gold bead heads.
Strike indicators on moving water.
Neoprene waders,I am never colder than where the neoprene touches my skin.
Foam flies.The Chernobyl Ant seriously offends me.I would have no problem getting up in the fishes grill and yelling"what the hell were you thinking?".
I am a total trout bum,have not targeted any other species to date.
And so on and so forth.

Skip Enge

Scenting was only one issue I was interested in.We all set limits on what we will or won't use.Some of mine are:
No generic flies.I won't use Wooley buggers,hare's ear or pheasant tail nymphs and for no good reason,I absolutely hate gold bead heads.
Strike indicators on moving water.
Neoprene waders,I am never colder than where the neoprene touches my skin.
Foam flies.The Chernobyl Ant seriously offends me.I would have no problem getting up in the fishes grill and yelling"what the hell were you thinking?".
I am a total trout bum,have not targeted any other species to date.
And so on and so forth.
There are exceptions jamma...aren't there? just sayin'
Hornings5.jpg

jamma

BTW,I would never consider scenting a fly.I believe one of the factors in our diminishing fisheries is the increasing number of resources being brought to bear against the fish that weren't available back in the day.They just don't stand a chance.If it were up to me,I would ban their use entirely.
I was more interested in the philosophy behind that choice and it's fascinating how that one simple addition throws your perception all the way from fly fishing to bait fishing.

Last edited:

Latest posts