Ideas for getting more Fish & Wildlife Officers

Would you donate money to pay for more WDFW officers?

• Yes

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

Tracker

When you consider the full cost including training, health insurance and retirement, I seriously doubt that could be sustained on donations alone....

It might be important for all of us when we see a violation to actually report it rather than shying away from getting involved. There will never be enough enforcement to prevent greed motivated violators from overfishing and fishing unethically. Maybe when those holding the purse strings are faced with public outcry about violations that go without investigation more funding and new hiring might evolve.

Shit I'd become an enforcement officer if they let me. I think one of the things the WDFW needs to is realize cops and former military personnel can get better gigs than game warden if they choose, and lower their fucking qualifications.

At this point, anyone willing to spend the time to learn the rules, policies, procedures should be allowed to apply and be trained to be a WDFW officer. I'd join in a heartbeat.

Old406Kid

It might be important for all of us when we see a violation to actually report it
IMO, this goes back to the need for a truly active Poachers Hotline with a regional live body on the other end rather than the current State Patrol dispatch.
I fortunately have the cell #'s of a few of the enforcement officers in our region and have been more than impressed with their response. That said, I wouldn't and don't call them unless it is a blatant violation.

Old406Kid

Shit I'd become an enforcement officer if they let me. I think one of the things the WDFW needs to is realize cops and former military personnel can get better gigs than game warden if they choose, and lower their fucking qualifications.

At this point, anyone willing to spend the time to learn the rules, policies, procedures should be allowed to apply and be trained to be a WDFW officer. I'd join in a heartbeat.
Sad to say but I have a couple of recently retired WDFW neighbors here in MT that have told me of the tribes and others hiring their biologists, etc. away for more money

Sad to say but I have a couple of recently retired WDFW neighbors here in MT that have told me of the tribes and others hiring their biologists, etc. away for more money
Same in Texas where I grew up. Grandparents neighbor was a Lampasas county warden and he basically fought deer poaching all year round all by himself and didn't have much to show for it. Very sad.

Rob Allen

When you have crooks trying to catch crooks, things do not go logically. IMHO.

And, bring money in, it does not mean it will filter through to actions.

Big business ..chain stores that supply ammo and fishing gear, do not care who gets the ammo, just as long as $ flows in. Those big businesses have a lot of political clout. You do not think Cabelas , Sage, Ducks Unlimited or Bass Pro couldn't cut a lot of money free to help with this?

Ridiculous so many people outside of this state making money off of the creatures of this state and do not kick something back instead of take take take! Taxes go to general fund that does not address poaching issues..miniscule.

Black market poaching bigger than most think. Most think it is some shady thing-and it is, but many are sold right on eBay or craiglslist.

Lenient judges, too, a huge issue.

Ok this needs to be addressed..

"When you have crooks trying to catch crooks, things do not go logically" are you calling game wardens crooks? if so you should be ashamed of yourself as that is completely not true. though some may be by in large they are good people doing a very hard job but like with every group of people there are good and bad. calling them crooks is extremely offensive.. I hope you mean something else.

"Big business ..chain stores that supply ammo and fishing gear, do not care who gets the ammo, just as long as $ flows in" this is completely false. I worked for a big chain store in the sporting goods industry and we were very concerned about who bought ammo. In the several hundred transactions I performed I never saw a person who i had cause to not sell the ammo to. I had one individual who appeared drunk or stoned attempt to buy a fire arm. he was refused. Another lady who was very disturbed tried to buy a handgun she also was very politely refused.
If you want to talk about guns maybe we should look at why are there so few prosecutions of ineligible people attempting to buy fire arms. I don't remember the numbers but i want to say that there are typically 20,000 people who fail the background check but only 800 prosecutions of those people. Fire arms retailers have a very large concern about the people they sell to. Yes they are in it to make money they do care however about where what they sell gets used.

"Ridiculous so many people outside of this state making money off of the creatures of this state and do not kick something back instead of take take take! Taxes go to general fund that does not address poaching issues..miniscule."
This is also false you need to look into the Pittman- Roberts act.

You might also look into groups like the Big Horn Sheep foundation. This is a group of hunters who contribute millions of dollars into the battle to save and restore the wild big horn sheep across the western USA. These are hunters extremely dedicated to a game animal that they are extremely unlikely to ever get to hunt due to the difficulty in obtaining tags. your chances are literally bettter playing the lotto. People from outside the state are spending a ton of money that goes to other states...

i haven't looked into the black market very much but i'll agree

and i also agree that judges could be harder.
but the rest of your post is clearly nonsense.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Times have changed. All WDFW Enforcement Officers are now FULL police officers; they can and do enforce all laws of the state not just fishing and hunting violations. WDFW officers must graduate from the state's Law Enforcement Academy. If you read the minimum requirements to join the State Patrol and WDFW, you will see the requirements are similar except State Patrol only requires a high school diploma while WDFW requires a college degree. My guess is it would be much easier to become a small town police officer than to become a WDFW Officer.

Last edited:

Kilchis

Does Washington have a state lottery? If so, imagine tickets where purchase proceeds are specifically reserved for funding enforcement officers, with a further caveat that prohibits legislators from deducting general fund monies from the enforcement division as an offset.

Latest posts