Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

Richard E

As I stated earlier. I use it for finding bottom not fish. I can do the same with my anchor line. Cheating....how?
No need to explain to others why you use a depth finder; it's your choice. I know a fly tier who won't use artificial materials on his flies, yet that same guy uses modern fly lines instead of old silk lines. I know others who decry the use of metal beads on their fly, or folks who denigrate those who fish clousers, calling those flies "jigs".

Rock on, man. It's all fishing.

What is the reason you fly fish? Is it to be more "in tune" with nature? Maybe to make the thrill of the catch more genuine? Maybe so the fish has a sporting chance, and it's you against him, in a battle of instincts and skills? I think using any electronics while fly fishing is odd. Fish finders belong in bass boats, with heavy stiff rods, giant plug lures, and 5000:1 ratio baitcasting reels. JMO

GAT

Dumbfounded
When fishing a river you can read the water and figure the best spots to try for holding fish.

On stillwaters you have nothing but a flat surface. Using a depth finder enables you to read the lake and determine the best places to try and at what depth.

I like catching fish. If I want to enjoy nature I go for a hike in the woods... which I do just about every weekend. Fishing stillwaters is much more difficult than fishing moving water so for me, it allows me a fighting chance to actually catch fish.

Use them, don't use them. Doesn't matter to me.

Buzzy

When fishing a river you can read the water and figure the best spots to try for holding fish.

On stillwaters you have nothing but a flat surface. Using a depth finder enables you to read the lake and determine the best places to try and at what depth.

I like catching fish. If I want to enjoy nature I go for a hike in the woods... which I do just about every weekend. Fishing stillwaters is much more difficult than fishing moving water so for me, it allows me a fighting chance to actually catch fish.

Use them, don't use them. Doesn't matter to me.
Gene - the use of logic doesn't work for some folks, probably dropped on their heads a few too many times. Totally agree with your analysis.

Pat

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I wonder how well a fish finder would work at the Rocky Ford Aquarium?
I may try one of those castable finders, just to post about it here and tick you off. I know you added the JMO after your post, but you state your O like it is FACT. Have you tried finders on lakes while fly fishing?

So does anyone else have personal experience with castable finders? I just think unless a 120 FB miraculously appears I’m going with one of those.

You do not need to think of it in terms of what is a ‘portable’ fish finder. Check out an amazing company...
(Think it’s fishfindermounts.com). But just Google it.
If you are serious about sonar, i would not even bother with gimmicky things that are run via an Iphone, or casted out, to give you a view of the bottom.

With the mounts via this company, you can literally use ANY sonar unit that you want on your float tube, and move it to your 14’ boat, in a snap.
I run a 7” Humminbird, GPS, downview, side-scanning, temp, time, color monitor.
It is WAY beyond what you would ever need, but hey.. why not.
When I am not using a fly rod.. sigh... i can see my 1.5” jig in ‘real time’— live, at 150’ depth at the nose of an 8lb Mackinaw on the bottom of lake Cle Elum.

Do you need all that for stillwater fly fishing? Hell no, but... hey, it’s a lot of fun, and it is there if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some grumps around here. Does anyone fish out of a boat or is that cheating? Birch bark canoe be ok?

When I am not using a fly rod.. sigh... i can see my 1.5” jig in ‘real time’— live, at 150’ depth at the nose of an 8lb Mackinaw on the bottom of lake Cle Elum.
Video game fishing can be extremely entertaining. It's not the same thrill as watching a fish take your fly off the surface, but it's close.

For anyone considering sonar I'd recommend buying one with bathymetry mapping capability. I have quickdraw on my Garmin. I think Humminbird has autochart. For me it's been nothing short of a game changer.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
You do not need to think of it in terms of what is a ‘portable’ fish finder. Check out an amazing company...
(Think it’s fishfindermounts.com). But just Google it.
If you are serious about sonar, i would not even bother with gimmicky things that are run via an Iphone, or casted out, to give you a view of the bottom.

With the mounts via this company, you can literally use ANY sonar unit that you want on your float tube, and move it to your 14’ boat, in a snap.
I run a 7” Humminbird, GPS, downview, side-scanning, temp, time, color monitor.
It is WAY beyond what you would ever need, but hey.. why not.

Do you need all that for stillwater fly fishing? Hell no, but... hey, it’s a lot of fun, and it is there if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a freaking down rigger on your pontoon boat! Hell yeah!

Latest posts