Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

Is that a freaking down rigger on your pontoon boat! Hell yeah!
Well, sigh... Yes, I knew I maybe should have photoshopped it out of a pic being sent to the fly forum, but what the hell.

I actually have not yet used the DR on the pontoon, as I prefer to jig for deep water Mackinaw.
But regarding the sonar mounting.. man, fishfindermounts.com They’re amazing. (Also have proprietary battery 5 milli amp/hour and 10 mil amp/hour, charging system and wiring.

They have mounts for float tube/pontoon boat, canoe/kayak, Pram, and anything that floats. The transducer mount for float tube/pontoon, has a nifty quick release that lets you swing it upward during launching so that in shallow water you don’t dredge the bottom with the transducer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzy

You do not need to think of it in terms of what is a ‘portable’ fish finder. Check out an amazing company...
(Think it’s fishfindermounts.com). But just Google it.
If you are serious about sonar, i would not even bother with gimmicky things that are run via an Iphone, or casted out, to give you a view of the bottom.

With the mounts via this company, you can literally use ANY sonar unit that you want on your float tube, and move it to your 14’ boat, in a snap.
I run a 7” Humminbird, GPS, downview, side-scanning, temp, time, color monitor.
It is WAY beyond what you would ever need, but hey.. why not.
When I am not using a fly rod.. sigh... i can see my 1.5” jig in ‘real time’— live, at 150’ depth at the nose of an 8lb Mackinaw on the bottom of lake Cle Elum.

Do you need all that for stillwater fly fishing? Hell no, but... hey, it’s a lot of fun, and it is there if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing the URL for fishfindermounts.com. I'd forgotten about them and since I destroyed my old Eagle sonar unit, I thought I might upgrade but wanted to do so in such a way I could go from my 14-foot aluminum boat to my 8-foot wood pram. These guys are the answer.

PezVela

Brian Chan is one of the best still water fly fisherman I know, and he says he wouldn't leave home without a depth recorder, so... I have two. My favorite is a Hummingbird "fishing buddy" 4200, with a side scan., and the other is a Hummingbird 140, also w/side scan... I have mounted them on the footrests of my Scadden boat using Scotty fly rod bases, and just the cone shape from the depth recorder mount base. (you may be able to see that in the attached JPGs. Both units have a "fish finder" that I've never figured out, but excellent bottom/structure scan, temp, and of course depth. I once found a ledge/drop-off on Hebgen Lake (using the recorder) in September, that was a staging spot for the brown trout before the spawn.... some of the best 3 days of fishing I've ever had!
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_3693.jpg

denisr

I use a Humminbird 12o and consider it indispensable when fishing big lakes. It's an older one so it has a sidefinder, which I also consider really important. I troll flies from a pontoon with an electric outboard. Rarely do I actually see fish directly below me but when I see them one or two with the sidefinder I know I'm in the right general area. The down scope does help seeing dept and bottom features and helps me adjust my speed to calibrate my depth or even switch between a sinking and led core lines.

One problem I had was mounting the Humminbird so that it doesn't wobble too much while trolling. I bought a float tube mount from Cabellas but fish finder moved around too much. So I bolted a two by four to my pontoon's frame that sticks out to the side and clamp the Humminbird mount to that. That works well.

For what it is worth I've attached a picture of my contraption.

Attachments

ok so i finally have a nice float tube (a fishcat4) and i want to set up a sonar unit this spring. I am still seriously considering one of the wifi/phone systems over a fishing buddy.

I dont need a complex and full featured side scan, i most just want to locate dropp offs and depths. currently, i do everything with a string marked every foot with a weight attached, and its OK in combination with depth maps for getting close to structure, but obv not as good as having sonar.

Does anyone here have FIRST HAND experience with

Lowrance FishHunter 3D

VEXILAR SP100 SONARPHONE W/TRANSDUCER POD

Deeper Smart Portable Fish Finder

when i asked this last year i was met with a lot of shit talk, so if you dont like this idea its fine, move on. If you have advice, i would love it hear it.

The advantage seems clear. The units are very small and light, and use a cell phone for the screen which is very easy to mount in a waterproof case. The battery life seems to be about a day of fishing, and the features look pretty good. The 3d maps the lowarance are able to make look pretty amazing for 200 bucks and a fully portable system that weighs under 1lb including the phone.... also has the abilty to map lakes and save the maps with GPS data, allowing you to create detailed bottom maps of your favorite fishing spots.

http://www.fishhunter.com/directional3d/

I would love to hear your opinions on why a traditional "portable sonar" would be better then one of these.

They have mounts for float tube/pontoon boat, canoe/kayak, Pram, and anything that floats. The transducer mount for float tube/pontoon, has a nifty quick release that lets you swing it upward during launching so that in shallow water you don’t dredge the bottom with the transducer.
Good point. Reminds me - I've seen more of these left behind at takeouts when they detach. Easy in the dark to set them down, forget, and not see them laying there when it's time to go. I'm sure the all-black doesn't help.

If that's ever you, remember to check the lost-n-found here.

I know this thread is a little old, but fish finders besides the old FB's are people using? I fish mostly shallow eastern Oregon lakes where the depth rarely goes beyond 18 ft.
Is side scan better for locating structure than the down scanning. My understanding is that with down scanning the cone is very small at this depth, and would seem to me to be of limited
use. I would really like to be able to follow the river channels at Crane Prairie and Davis lakes.

Tinker

I know this thread is a little old, but fish finders besides the old FB's are people using? I fish mostly shallow eastern Oregon lakes where the depth rarely goes beyond 18 ft.
Is side scan better for locating structure than the down scanning. My understanding is that with down scanning the cone is very small at this depth, and would seem to me to be of limited
use. I would really like to be able to follow the river channels at Crane Prairie and Davis lakes.
A general rule of thumb for a transducer (without side-scan) is that the diameter of the cone is approximately 1/3 of the water's depth, so in 18 feet of water the cone has a 6 foot diameter. In reality, it's smaller than that.

There's a pretty good discussion on calculating the cone diameter here: http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-18678.html

Last edited:

Buzzy

I use a Humminbird Fishin Buddy 140C (color with side scan) - the side scan function does not help me with locating structure, it is much more a "fish finder". Side scan on this unit tells you the distance and direction the fish is from your sonar unit, it doesn't tell you at what depth the fish is. If you are on a body of water you're familiar with, then you might have an idea at what depth the side scan appearance indicates. Structure ID for the Fishin Buddy is determined looking down. In "shallow" water, the fish finder's down looking function isn't of much value (shallow - less than 15 feet), I do like the fish finder function when I get + 20 feet deep.

Patrick

PezVela

I don't usually use the side scan on the 4200 or 140, (it won't find a hooked fish 10' from the boat!) ...so I just turn the function off to save battery power. The depth recorder will find structure and drop off's straight down (the Crane Prairie channel is only a 3-4' drop where I fish, but I can see it), and I always know the depth, and water temp. Now, if I could just find a depth recorder that showed the Mariners games....

Last edited:
Reading this thread, it struck me that I seem to mark fish all the time with my FB 120. But that aside, when it comes to fishing, I usually don't want my phone involved. I don't want it out over open water, I don't want it exposed, I don't want the battery wearing down, and frankly I don't want my phone in front of me.

Latest posts