Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

PezVela

Sorry if I muddied the water on side scans... I agree with Buzzy. Side scans are only good to spot fish (out to the side, not down) .... and I have never been able to see any structure on the side scan.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Side scan does locate fish, but it also will give false readings from time to time. But it does not spot structure, or if it does, you don't really know about it.

Ron Olsen

Here is my set up. Lowrance Mark 4, using Scotty low profile track, which also fits on 12" boat. Transducer arm also transportable to other craft. Strapped caddy to pontoon also has ash tray from USS Trout (decommissioned submarine) and cup holder. Battery pack is 12 volt 2300 mAh NiMH rechargeable. Can also use AA. I get about 14 hours continuous use, including GPS plotter on Mark 4.
Even caught a trout once.....

Attachments

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Last season my Fishing Buddy 2 (with side scan) have up the ghost on week two of March. So while at home for a couple days, did the research (meeting need of a pontoon, Walker Bay, and 14 Lund ) bought a Garmin Striker 4 Portable fish finder gps. And it is AWESOME! I have fallen in love with it.

Generally, I was using the Fishing Buddy as a depth finder and water temp device, since generally rarely showed fish, better in deep water but still not great. When I went back to Eastern Washington, put it to the test and immediately started see fish! I put it to the test by towing across the lake and when I saw a cluster of fish, dropped anchor, and put line down right away and Boom fish on! This happens numerous times.

The charge on the battery later about 2 weeks, not leaving it on all the time.

My modified clamping and depth adjustment works great.

Tight lines and Fish On!

Attachments

I have a fishing buddy 1200 and if I find fish 1 foot off the bottom they are usually feeding. I'm a chironomider so that works nicely. If the marks are off the bottom 2 or 3 or more feet then usually the fish are not feeding. I may have to adjust my gain to eliminate clutter and find the right sensitivity. Some days, I set at 20, but sometimes I end up at 30 or 4. I get my kicks finding feeding fish, not just catching lots of them.

Salmo_g

bought a Garmin Striker 4 Portable fish finder gps. And it is AWESOME!
Shawn, would you post a bit more detail on your clamp and adjustment mechanism. I like Garmin products and have been thinking about getting a depth/fish finder for my pram. What kind of battery is it that you get 2 weeks use from?

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Shawn, would you post a bit more detail on your clamp and adjustment mechanism. I like Garmin products and have been thinking about getting a depth/fish finder for my pram. What kind of battery is it that you get 2 weeks use from?
Hey Salmo_g.... First time Garmin for me and will not be there last, considering upgrading the family boat now.

So,
1) I took the suction cup attachment off
2) got a small diameter PVC and cut it to 24" (yours might need a longer shaft), I just wanted as low profile as possible so let line hang-up.
3) slid the Scotty bracket onto PVC
4) ran the (long) transducer cord through the PVC.
4) drilled a hole in PVC and bolted the transducer onto PVC
5) took setup out in pram on water and sat flat, pushed PVC and transducer down (mine leaves about 1 7/8" left above bracket) measuring distance water surface to transducer 1ft down. And marked a black line on PVC.
6) had a buddy tell me when the transducer was inline with the boat and placed a mark.

The battery sits behind the screen inside the softside pouch and that and the screen snap and/or Velcro to a hard plastic base that also provides a carrying handle. It is a very convenient carrying method if you are leaving your boat in the water edge. It weighs roughly 9 points.

The battery is like a house alarm battery. I don't leave my finder on all day. I use it when I am moving from one location to the next, I also use it to check depth and water temp throughout the day. So maybe a total of an hour or two each day.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Buzzy

Hey Salmo_g.... First time Garmin for me and will not be there last, considering upgrading the family boat now.

So,
1) I took the suction cup attachment off
2) got a small diameter PVC and cut it to 24" (yours might need a longer shaft), I just wanted as low profile as possible so let line hang-up.
3) slid the Scotty bracket onto PVC
4) ran the (long) transducer cord through the PVC.
4) drilled a hole in PVC and bolted the transducer onto PVC
5) took setup out in pram on water and sat flat, pushed PVC and transducer down (mine leaves about 1 7/8" left above bracket) measuring distance water surface to transducer 1ft down. And marked a black line on PVC.
6) had a buddy tell me when the transducer was inline with the boat and placed a mark.

The battery sits behind the screen inside the softside pouch and that and the screen snap and/or Velcro to a hard plastic base that also provides a carrying handle. It is a very convenient carrying method if you are leaving your boat in the water edge. It weighs roughly 9 points.

The battery is like a house alarm battery. I don't leave my finder on all day. I use it when I am moving from one location to the next, I also use it to check depth and water temp throughout the day. So maybe a total of an hour or two each day.

Hope this helps.
Shawn - I was lurkin' and waiting for you to respond to Salmo's question. Thanks.

Latest posts