Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

Salmo_g

Thanks Shawn! You're welcome Buzzy. I'm gonna' join the kool kids and not have to drop my line and leader with the alligator clip weight every time I stop and anchor up to figure out the depth.

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Thanks Shawn! You're welcome Buzzy. I'm gonna' join the kool kids and not have to drop my line and leader with the alligator clip weight every time I stop and anchor up to figure out the depth.
I still check deep sometimes, with hemo's.

Also, once your on the water, remember that when you measure out long leaders with quick release indicators that you have to add (in my case 1' 6") to adjust for how far your finder picks down into the water.... This is speaking from experiment, and wondering what was wrong with the bite, so did the hemo check and felt like and idiot... Haha

Tight lines!

Buzzy

I still check deep sometimes, with hemo's.

Also, once your on the water, remember that when you measure out long leaders with quick release indicators that you have to add (in my case 1' 6") to adjust for how far your finder picks down into the water.... This is speaking from experiment, and wondering what was wrong with the bite, so did the hemo check and felt like and idiot... Haha

Tight lines!
Even with my Fishin Buddy, I guess I'm the fourth one that still uses a weight on my fly to verify depth, I mean there are drop offs..... but I won't use my hemostat, been known to lose things - I have a couple of these that if lost, well, so what:
DSCF0256.JPG

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
Last season my Fishing Buddy 2 (with side scan) have up the ghost on week two of March. So while at home for a couple days, did the research (meeting need of a pontoon, Walker Bay, and 14 Lund ) bought a Garmin Striker 4 Portable fish finder gps. And it is AWESOME! I have fallen in love with it.

REPLY by NW_flisher:
I received a Garmin striker 4 Sonar/GPS for Christmas. I can’t wait to use it on my pontoon boat. I have never had any fish finder before. It was recommended by a guy I ran into at Lone Lake earlier this winter.

Salmo_g

OK bobber gurus, why clutter up the boat with the depth finder, wires, and battery if you're still dropping the weight to verify? This doesn't seem quite like the carpenter who measures twice and then cuts once to reduce the likelihood of error.

Salmo_g

For some reason I can't picture SG fishing 30' leaders and a two fly rig under an indicator ;)
You see right Nick. I'm more than a little ways off from joining that club. So far I haven't needed more than a 12' leader for my attempts at this "new-fangled" chironomid fishing. For 20 to 30' depths, my friends last year dropped their sinking lines to fish "vertical" chironomid presentations. I avoided fishing in the deep water. So far.

I gotta' admit, this bobbercating presentation of chironomids makes hella' lot more sense than the way I was introduced to fishing the TDC, which was more like a dragonfly nymph on a sinking line. Trout still ate 'em, but not like they do when still fished under an indicator/bobber.

It’s addicting isn’t it?

The reason I use an electronic sonar device is to gather information to help me decide where to anchor. Anchoring up is an art in itself and takes effort to do it right. Depth is certainly an important element but not necessarily the most critical. I’m looking for drop offs, weed edges, flats, channels, etc that may draw in fish and that otherwise aren’t apparent without electronics. The last step is making sure my bugs are hanging in the zone.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
It’s addicting isn’t it?

The reason I use an electronic sonar device is to gather information to help me decide where to anchor. Anchoring up is an art in itself and takes effort to do it right. Depth is certainly an important element but not necessarily the most critical. I’m looking for drop offs, weed edges, flats, channels, etc that may draw in fish and that otherwise aren’t apparent without electronics. The last step is making sure my bugs are hanging in the zone.
Beat me to it... Again!

Latest posts