Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

you guys, as someone who has to check depth manually EVERYTIME, not just to verify. I can promise you there is a better solition then your hemostats and various aligator clips.

I just use an old spool of floro that I keep rigged in the tube. bare hook on the end, hooked into one of these. or to keep it even simpler you can just hook onto your dropper, send it down to the bottom, grad the leader at surface level and set you bobber 6"-1' shallower. fastest way ive found to dial right into the bottom in 20-30ft of water.

Attachments

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
you guys, as someone who has to check depth manually EVERYTIME, not just to verify. I can promise you there is a better solition then your hemostats and various aligator clips.

I just use an old spool of floro that I keep rigged in the tube. bare hook on the end, hooked into one of these. or to keep it even simpler you can just hook onto your dropper, send it down to the bottom, grad the leader at surface level and set you bobber 6"-1' shallower. fastest way ive found to dial right into the bottom in 20-30ft of water.
I've used these as well, but I kept losing them. My hemostats that I use, I acquired free from a certain health care provider. At the hospital, they will often times need to waste them because of exposure. I have a few.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
So does that mean you have been exposed to them a few times ?
The simple act of bringing them into certain clean rooms, means that they can't be used elsewhere. They are perfectly fin...etjl;jigpoisudgjasklev I don't seem to be dealing with any akljdf;kgs jsgikspuirkjfiissues that I'm aware of....... ok maybe the occasion kalsdjfkajd;akjtu twitch but otherwise ok.

The simple act of bringing them into certain clean rooms, means that they can't be used elsewhere. They are perfectly fin...etjl;jigpoisudgjasklev I don't seem to be dealing with any akljdf;kgs jsgikspuirkjfiissues that I'm aware of....... ok maybe the occasion kalsdjfkajd;akjtu twitch but otherwise ok.
the lead is probably way more dangerous lol.

I've used these as well, but I kept losing them. My hemostats that I use, I acquired free from a certain health care provider. At the hospital, they will often times need to waste them because of exposure. I have a few.

If I see fish one foot off the bottom in say 30', I stop and grab my full sink pole and clip a one ounce weight to my chironomid using a radio shack electrical clip and drop it to the bottom.

If I see more than 2 marks the same depth off the bottom, like marks at 18' in 30' of water, I measure out 18' of line on my indicator rod. I have permanent 2' and 4' marks on the sides of my 16' boat or if I'm in my pram the oar locks are 4' apart. The suspended fish are usually indiscriminate feeders and will eat anything. If I catch a fish, I pump it to get a match on the hatch they are on.. When measuring to 18' for example, if I'm using a 9' rod, I pull line off the reel and measure 9 feet and hold it against the reel end of my rod and reel up the slack. My rod tip is 18' from the chironomid.

Doug from North Bend

PezVela

Just gathering my gear for a run over to Lenice for the opener... assuming it's not still frozen over. I got an "iBobber" for my birthday, so will try it out, and report back. May even use it as an "indicator" so I can see the fish sneaking up on my chironomids! (is that legal?) ;)
IMG_1093.jpg

Last edited:

PezVela

I tried the "iBobber" depth recorder/fish finder at Lenice.. and it's a pretty neat little device. The only problem I had was a lanyard I mounted on the iPhone that kept popping off. (almost lost a 1K phone!) Sooo... I'll find a good lanyard and try the iBobber again later. The charge time (iBobber and phone) may be an issue.. but think you can get a full day from a charge. The connection is by "bluetooth", so you don't need reception for the phone... and there are a bunch of other features to play with.. (water temp, weather, gps, mapping, etc) I'll check out next time.

I bought a Fishin Buddy with the side scan 20 years ago probably. Used it once. Suppose I should try it again. Has a transom mount and a float tube holster that might also fit the toon. Sold the Fat Cat.

I tried the "iBobber" depth recorder/fish finder at Lenice.. and it's a pretty neat little device. The only problem I had was a lanyard I mounted on the iPhone that kept popping off. (almost lost a 1K phone!) Sooo... I'll find a good lanyard and try the iBobber again later. The charge time (iBobber and phone) may be an issue.. but think you can get a full day from a charge. The connection is by "bluetooth", so you don't need reception for the phone... and there are a bunch of other features to play with.. (water temp, weather, gps, mapping, etc) I'll check out next time.
im convinced that in theory (not sure how good the tech is yet) these are way better ten a fishing buddy. the old timers who hate change will obviously not agree.

im convinced that in theory (not sure how good the tech is yet) these are way better ten a fishing buddy. the old timers who hate change will obviously not agree.
No, the fishing buddies suck from a features-to-money ration. But they don't require external power or external mounts.

I just can't be convinced to hold/use a phone over open water. Even in a solid-bottomed boat I would be less than thrilled.