A mans word

Tried to sell something on this site to which I received a reply stating" I will take it". The pm conversation that I had with him left me with a funny feeling. I sent very clear pictures.We agreed that I was going to find out and let him know of shipping costs. They are not much. 9$. I had the flu for a couple days so it took a few days to get the estimated shipping costs to the buyer. A few days only.
I let him know the costs and he sends a response stating that he is " mentally over it" and no longer wants the item?

This is all after ther price was agreed to was 33% less than my asking price.
Is mine the only house were a mans word is gold? This world is in trouble

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Tried to sell something on this site to which I received a reply stating" I will take it". The pm conversation that I had with him left me with a funny feeling. I sent very clear pictures.We agreed that I was going to find out and let him know of shipping costs. They are not much. 9$. I had the flu for a couple days so it took a few days to get the estimated shipping costs to the buyer. A few days only.
I let him know the costs and he sends a response stating that he is " mentally over it" and no longer wants the item?

This is all after ther price was agreed to was 33% less than my asking price.
Is mine the only house were a mans word is gold? This world is in trouble
You can get a fast shipping fee estimate online...box it, weigh, and get an accurate shipping price on USPS.com. takes a few minutes or less

UPS.com can give you estimates in a minute as well

In this day and age, a few days would make a buyer hesitant that something is up, I am afraid.

A lot of people are impulse buyers so they come to their senses if you give them too much time-especially on fishing gear.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Unfortunate but it happens and typically for reasons cited above. The advice to "move on," including your own is sound. From my baseball days: "You win some, you lose some, some games are rained-out and some you don't even play."

Had a similar thing happen just now. I saw an item yesterday morning and answered immediately that I would take it. Spent yesterday with my grandkids and when I went back on this morning and read my PMs. there were two. The first sent me a PayPal address; the second informing me that someone else had purchased the item. New member who obviously hasn't been on the forum long enough to understand that when you say you'll take something, that's the oral contract. Anybody who knows me, knows my word is gold, as well. I didn't really need the item but it would have been nice to have. I doubt I'd buy anything from that particular member ever again.

Because of a move I had to sell quite a number of items. Lots of quality things at super low prices (did not have much time). Craigslist. I quickly learned that there was a whole community of jerks that liked to play games with sellers. It seemed like it was their hobby to set up meetings and never show, or when they did show, lower the offer extremely and just hope you would say ok out of frustration. I get the idea of "horse trading" but several "buyers" were definitely on a power trip to abuse sellers. I also met some very nice people that appreciated the deals I was offering.