Redington Wader Review

XP

I've owned 2 pairs of Sonic Pro HD Waders and they both leaked. Redington covered the first pair under their 1 year warranty because 1 month in they leaked. Luckily for Redington, my second pair made it over the 1 year warranty mark and will not be covered. They have a leak in the seams again and the zippers all broke or rusted off.

Dealt with multiple people in the warranty department and ended up getting them shipped back to me. Unrepaired, unrepalced, still made in China garbage.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Simms or Patagonia for the same price. I've talked to multiple people regarding Redington waders and they agreed with the shitty seams and components.

Oh yeah, Redington boots are garbage too.

Last edited:
Ive been wearing simms for over 30 years. Ive owned at least 6 pair. All the way back from classic guide to G4z. Boots and jackets, undergarments, shirts belts, you get my point THE WORKS. But I afraid they might not be the company they once were. My buddie bought a pair of simms Oct 2015. They were $350. They leaked within the first 8 months. He sent them in for the 1 year tune up. Simms had them for 2 months befor returning them. The second trip out the right booty blew out. Foot totall soaked. Back to Simms. Another 2 months plus till returned. Got them back 4 weeks ago and went out fishing. The Left foot then got a leak. Not a pinhole but a full out leak. So in the 2 years he has owned them he has been without waders for 4 months. And who knows how long untill this is resolved.

I remember telling him when he got into fishing. Just spend the extra on simms. Nothing worse than being in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter and have to leave or cut a trip short so you wont het hypothermia. I hope simms steps up and treats him right.

I've been pretty happy with my Patagonias. Did do some work on them last spring to fix a few leaks, but they were from bushwhacking through brambles, not from seams coming apart. They are four years old, probably have about 100 days on them (geez I wish I got out more). I expect that I'll get at least another season out of them. Plus, customer support is top notch. But they are in the Simms range, in terms of price.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I'm sorry to hear of your travails, XP; that likely would have soured me also had I endured a similar experience.

I have 5 years on my zip-front Redingtons & 3 on my pant waders with NO issues. I find that the neo booties of Simms are too snug, making them a struggle to get on & off (maybe I have Fred Flintstone feet?), but I have no doubt that they are an excellent product, although way too expensive for my tastes. I'd have no problem buying replacement Redingtons if/when needed.

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
I too have worn Redington waders for years and just finished year 2 on the Sonic Pro HDZ's without issue. I have never experienced any problems with any Redington product, which includes rods, reels, waders, boots and apparel. Sorry to hear the issues you have had. I believe waders are decisions most made based on finances. If I could justify spending $800 on G4Z's, I would, but I can't, and that's just me and my situation......and with my bladder, I need the zip front. :eek:

mtskibum16

Interesting. I've had great luck with my Redington waders. I've had them replaced a couple times over a 6+ year period, all after a year of use, and never a problem with the warranty. They've even upgraded me once. I have not had the zip waders yet though.

Peyton00

In 30+ yrs of fishing i have used several brands.
I got the best mileage out of a cheap set of hodgmans in the early 90's, they lasted about 6 yrs. Several brands and years of good and bad products, i have redingtons now, so far so good.

XP

Interesting. I've had great luck with my Redington waders. I've had them replaced a couple times over a 6+ year period, all after a year of use, and never a problem with the warranty. They've even upgraded me once. I have not had the zip waders yet though.
I had that mindset too. Wear them until they leak then replace. But it sounds like they cracked down on their warranty which is only for 1 year.

Salmo_g

XP,

Thanks for your review. All waders leak. Sooner or later. I got a set of Redington Sonic Pro zip front a couple, three years ago. The zipper leaked right out of the box. I sent them back, got a replacement set, and these have gone longer without leaking than any other wader I have owned over the last 50 years. But these waders, too, will leak eventually, because all waders do.

Based on wader reports I've read on this and other forums, I think buying any brand of waders is a bit of a crapshoot. Consequently, buying waders based on warranty service is probably the most cost effective route to go.

Sg

XP

I will be selling my back up waders which are Redington Sonic HD's that are 1.5 years old with no leaks... yet. Maybe one of you Redington fans want them?

They are Large Long and will cost you $100 shipped

Meeshka

Just bought a pair of the Palix River Pant, great deal. Intended primarily as a warm weather waterproof pant for fishing in the pram. Will have to see how they work next season.

Latest posts